Ok! I have a big dilemma to deal with on this decision.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devilstrider, Oct 2, 2010.

1. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Ok I need a MacBook Pro by wed of this week coming. I did not want to spend over $1900 so i was shopping refurb. Well the store has these two with push it over $2000. I want the Hi-Res, Anti-Glare screen. If I order one of these it will come by wed. But that price. I really wanted the 15in i5 for 1649.99 that came with all this.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC024LL/A?mco=MTgxNTExODE

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC666LL/A?mco=MTgxNDI5NDM

I don't want a 17in screen because it will be carried on campus. But the price is a little up there. My other choice was to just buy a regular 15in i5 from best buy. I would get the student discount and rewards points but I will have no Hi-Res, Anti-Glare screen. OH WHAT TO DO?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

15" 2.4GHz i5 with hi res antiglare is 1949$ from normal Apple Store so with your edu discount, it will be less than 1900$.

EDIT: Damn, forgot about the deadline, will edit soon as I find some more stuff

EDIT2: Do you really need it for Wednesday? Sounds like the second link in your post is your only option. It's only 100$ more than what you planned. You could of course call to local stores and ask if any of them has antiglare models in stock

3. LocoStrange macrumors member

Personally...

I would ask myself why I would need high res. And if I truly need anti glare. I dont have it and I couldn't care less that I dont have anti glare since I have no problems using my laptop.

Also, why would you NEED it by Wednes?

4. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I don't need it. I just want it. :D

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you just want it, then your want will cost you extra :p If you order it from online store, you can have it on Thursday or Friday if you choose the fastest shipping

6. LocoStrange macrumors member

Well...I see 3 choices for ya..

1) Go "basic" and get it now
    2) Get the options and wait a little longer
    3) Get the options, and spend a lot on fast shipping :p

7. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah i just want the higher resolution. I'm not feeling the stock res. Also i want to play a few games on it and i have the feeling the base 15in i5 won't do great.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp22.html

Gaming wise, there is no difference between them. The $ you would pay for i7 isn't worth it in gaming.

9. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah i know. Only reason I considered the i5 was because of what you get for the price on that refubed unit. Other than that I wanted i5 all the way. But the performance drop on that video card with 256mb is horrible.

Edit: After reading it all you are right man. I would have to boost it like crazy.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you had specific needs (wants) and a specific budget then why did you wait till the last minute to buy since you need virtually immediately? Try the Apple retail stores, sometimes they have pre-built CTO's at the store. If you qualify for the education price you can get and take it home this weekend.

11. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I may just go new with nothing on it. Why the big price jump between the 2.4ghz model and the 2.53 model? All I see is more HD space and a few more mhz(which i doubt make a big difference). Sorry for bugging you guys but I may be buying today so I want to be informed.

12. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

What did you do? Did you find one at a store or did you order and wait.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

LOL, you didn't answer my question first but no worries. :). I have the 15" Core i5 with the antiglare but I CTO'd it online. If you want the antiglare then it automatically comes in Hi-Res. I live in the U.S and I've been to several Apple stores (not resellers) that have upgraded versions to buy right off the shelf. If you order today and pay for expedited shipping you it's a good chance you'll get it by wednesday, depending on where you live of course.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Both will suck at gaming compared to many other laptops, if you're looking to game, don't buy a mac.

15. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not looking to game. Just want to play a little something if i have the time between classes. I have a gaming PC that i'm on right now.

16. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry what question? Oh ok. My dad was supposed to send the money two weeks ago. The **** sent it this week and it just got here. Old man is scared to do wire transfers so he mailed a check. Also are all MacBook Pro screens LED or are the LCD?

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ah, I think you're misunderstanding the LED vs. LCD. All the screens are LCD with LED backlighting as opposed to the old technology that used florescent tube backlighting that was uneven, dull and wore out much quicker than LED.

18. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it.

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

They are LCD screens with LED backlighting. I would personally get the i5 with the antiglare hi res screen and get the educational discount. Even if I had to wait for it. Get the 2.53 as it will run a lil faster when it turbo boosts for games.

That is my advice to you, when spending that much, get what you want, you can have it delivered to where ever.

20. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I may just go basic and used the saved money on HDD and Ram upgrades.

21. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

You do want it. They are amazing.

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I was able to get a 15" core i5 HR AG brand new with apple care, 500gb, 4gb ram, for 1800 from ebay fyi. There are lots of great sellers.

23. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

24. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

not refurbs....

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

BTOs don't and antiglare display is a BTO. Not even all stock products ship in 24 hours, e.g. 12-core Mac Pro, TV and 27" LED Cinema

Most refurbs do

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC374LL/A?mco=MTgwOTc3Mjg