Ok I Want To Buy An iPhone But...? - UK HELP ME OUT -

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rph105, Mar 11, 2008.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Ok I'm ready to buy an iPhone, think i'm going to go for the £35 a month plan, since I can't afford a higher option.

Can someone run through the unlimited data with me, does that mean I can surf the inet all around the UK for FREE at no additional costs, I'm not looking to owe £1000 to o2 thank you very much, basically is there any additional charges other than going over my given 600 mins???

Is there a way to limit your minutes on the iPhone, I dont want to go over my minutes and incur charges, is there a way other than callin up o2 all the time to check my minutes I've used, or put a block on my minutes, thanks!

Also seen as US just got a tariff upgrade to unlimited minutes, could the UK be seeing that any time soon???

2. m477h3w macrumors 6502

You wont regret your purchase! Unlimited really does mean unlimited, everywhere you have o2 signal you can surf the web, for free, no extra costs! The only way you will get charged extra is if you connect to a Wifi service that charges, like in hotels, but you would have to enter payment details first so you couldn't do it by mistake! If you surf the net out of the UK, then that is a different matter!!!

You can't limit the number of minutes you use on your phone, but you can log onto o2's website to see how many minutes you have used at anytime. Use some of that unlimited data!

No one could say for sure, my guess would be no.

Hope this helps :D

3. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Go for it! That's the same one I'm using. :)

Yes, it means you can surf the internet as much as you like, downloading, websites, ANYTHING and not have to pay a penny extra. ;)

Nah, that isn't possible sorry :( - However! You can check on your O2 Dashboard online to see how much you have used, what you have free etc. Also, on the iPhone there is a 'Usage' section in the options where you can check how long you've been on the iPhone for whilst in a call. You can reset this too for each month.

Probably not seen as a few weeks ago the O2 Tariff upgraded from:

200 Texts
    200 Minutes

To...

500 Texts
    600 Minutes.

;) Get an iPhone. :apple::)

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

The unlimited data means you can surf the internet around the UK for free on the EDGE network. You also have free access to all The Cloud wifi hotspots, of which there are apparently 7500 around the UK.

The people with £1000 bills enabled data roaming outside the UK, which is incredibly expensive. This is very easy to avoid –*just don't enable data roaming! Just stick to wifi when traveling, or buy a roaming data plan.

5. t22design macrumors regular

Don't forget that the Americans are paying for their unlimited voice package. It's the most expensive tariff available for them, and if it were to come to the UK, I reckon it would be as least as expensive as our top tariff (£75).

6. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Some very informative posts here already - the only thing I would add is on the topic of tracking your minutes. There's no way of limiting the minutes you use on the phone, however as has been said you can go to O2's site to see how much you've used - you can do this on your iPhone if you want to of course! The only issue with it is that the data on that site can be up to about 48 hours out of date, so you need to bear that in mind if you're reaching your limit.

Other than that, go for it - you won't regret it. Fantastic phone and the unlimited data makes the tariff really great.

7. SAFC2403 macrumors member

Maybe someone could write an app to track minutes used with the SDK??

Something that the user could enter the parameters themselves ie no of mins and texts per month and then it would give warnings when the limit was near??

I'm no programmer though so couldn't do it.

8. m477h3w macrumors 6502

What a great idea!!! This should definately be done, I would buy it :D

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

for the minutes issue, you could take a look at these Bolt Ons, and maybe think of adding one for £7.50 a month.

Could save you a lot of money if youre a heavy talker.
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/boltons

10. SAFC2403 macrumors member

Wish i had a mac so i could have a go with this SDK. Will have to try and get my boss to buy me one now!!!

Is the SDK likely to ever come for windows.......

11. wrboyce macrumors 6502

Should perhaps be noted that your inclusive minutes do not include calls to 08** numbers.. I often have £5-10 worth of extra calls on my bill.

12. NurseChris macrumors member

Yeah first of all I would say just GO FOR IT! Honestly you wont regret it.
    I have the 35.00 a month contract with the 7.50 unlimited text bolt on (i'm a heavy texter) this combination works great for me.

13. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

or you could go with voda etc, getting an n95 8gb and a better tarrif, sell the nokia and in effect get a free iphone :D

14. NurseChris macrumors member

If you like, I don't go in for the whole jailbreaking thing though.

15. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

Sorry I forgot, it's illegal, the mac police will get you, it doesn't work etc

so square.....:rolleyes:

It is a viable option, not illegal and in most cases can save alot of money, so I don't see why you'd put the op off this route as an option