Ok I'm having a fanboi moment thanks to my 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdonisSMU, Nov 26, 2016.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

OMG! I just love this machine. I'v never spent this much money on a computer before. I've also never been happier with a computer before. I remember getting this feeling the first time I held an iPad 1 in my hand after flying all the way to Denver, CO to get it as the city I was living in at the time didn't have any in stock. The touch bar, the display, the speakers, the lightening fast SSD. I absolutely love this machine.

2. Mac128guy macrumors member

I feel the same. Love my 13" MacBook Pro w/touchbar. It's, by far, the best laptop I've ever owned. Sad to see all of the negativity on here.

3. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Yeah, that keyboard is just AWESOME! And the battery life is FANTASTIC! Plus just look how THIN it is! But hey, it's more expensive than anything else, you will KILL the Starbucks crowd!

Now you just need to find some USB-C accessories for lots of $$$, and you are all set!

4. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

lol, battery life is Meh,but overall, yes, it's an amazing machine for me too. I do want more battery life, but I have an external battery pack that I use.. the portability somewhat makes up for it for me, because I like to be able to work it wherever I am , car, house, couch, bed, plane, etc. It's amazeballs.

5. torana355 macrumors 68020

lol that post was sarcastic.

6. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

You did not fly to Colorado to purchase an iPad

7. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I'm heading straight over to the Whole Foods cafe. I am going to get some crazy a$$ rocking this 13 incher!

8. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Starbucks crowd? Starbucks people don't normally use expensive Apple products. They use older/other products. In fact one of my friends is a Google fan boi who uses the $1400 Pixel browser and the other's computer is so outdated that his machine must be plugged in for it to work at all so... *shrugs*

The one time I did see people using lots of Apple products recently (last week) was when everyone in Starbucks was using a 12.9" iPad Pro except for me on my new MacBook Pro playing around in code. It was the weirdest thing. I was like hmmm maybe Timmy was onto something. Then some guy slammed his bag down and shoe horned himself right next to me and then he proceeded to interrupt me and ask me about my 2016 MBP right before then pulling out his 2016 MBP. :D Then he started flirting with me and we exchanged digits. :eek:

--- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016 ---
    Ok. We can go with that... if it'll make you feel better. The iPad is my favorite computing device ever. It's magical and revolutionary....and I'm not joking. The iPad is what made me an Apple fan instead of a user who is just trying to get work done.

9. kwandrews macrumors 6502

Congrats! Yes, they are gen 1 products and as such will have some bugs and issues at first. No surprise to me. I had the 13", but found I really needed the quad core (main machine was a quad 2012 i7 mini with 16G and SSD) so I swapped for the base model 15". Overall, it's a beautiful machine, love the screen. Battery on the 13" (non-touch) was great! The 15", I just did a fresh install of 10.12.1 and it seems to be better now and expect I'll get the 8-10 hours. On the 13", I was getting 10-11 :) Have fun!!!!

10. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I've been loving mine as well. I may have solved my battery issues tonight--did a format and restore and just set it up as new without doing a Time Machine restore and my battery life appears to have doubled, though this is the first charge since so I will have to wait and see if it is really solved. Otherwise, I have one dongle with two USB-A 3.0 ports, a Gigabit ethernet connector and a power pass-thru and that is all I need (had it on my previous 12" MacBook) and I already loved the keyboard so it's just better. The touchpad is awesome and the screen is beautiful and sharp. A little heavier than my previous MacBook but for the extra power it is worth it.

Have fun with your new toy!

11. jk76 macrumors member

I've had my new 15" MBP for a week now, and I can't quite understand all the negativity people on the internets want to express. I think it's a fine machine, and a good compromise for people whose primary goal isn't to compete on showing their elitism on random forums. (Just ignore the price. It's maybe a percent of typical owners income over the laptop lifetime, anyway.)

Believe or not, there are also benefits to USB-C. One of the surprising benefits which I just found out is that I can both power and even charge (albeit very slowly) my laptop using a phone USB-C charger, in this case one from Google for a year-old Nexus 6P. It supplies 15 watts, and my light usage seems to hover around 9-15 watts on average. The fact that USB-C (including its alternate modes and USB Power Delivery) is based on standards which are going to be deployed widely in relatively near future seems to be lost on most people. For many uses it'll be *the* standard connector in a while. Less hassle, not more.

12. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

It's a fantastic bit of kit that has me grinning every time I use mine. The naysayers on here fall into one of these awkward and misguided camps:

1. Their model has a flaw and they don't want to take it back for fear of not having a MBP over the holiday season. They are then duped by fellow naysayers on here into believing that the flaws of their units must mean that the entire line of 2016 TBMBs is doomed.
    2. They want the MBP to be a thoroughbred gaming machine which it was clearly never designed to be.
    3. They are 'future proof' obsessed such that no laptop ever has enough firepower and so they are constantly disappointed by their wait for computers with specifications that never transpire.
    4. They lose perspective and cannot see the wood from the trees - i.e 'oh my god, I bought 1000 dongles and I have to take them everywhere such that I look like a crazed octopus and...Obama ruined this for me!'

Don't believe me? Have a look at the threads...

13. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I think it was built precisely to show elitism, as it does not improve/regresses on may other things but looks and price. This is thinness gone crazy. This is Ive gone unchecked.

As has been mentioned so many times, it's a fine machine as an Air replacement. Cute, thin, even if battery life sucks and they keyboard is loud and unfriendly to typists. It is in no way a Pro-line replacement.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'm getting sick of this "it's not a pro machine" crap on here constantly.

The 13" has never really been a "pro". It started out (2008) as a MacBook, and was rebadged as a pro, but was never really a pro. That hasn't changed.

The 15" is still a pro machine. The fact that you can't shove an SD card in it any more doesn't make it not pro. Did you complain when you couldn't connect a DVI monitor into a 2008 MacBook Pro? We are already seeing accessories like this: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock - leave it on your desk, with all of your crap connected. When you go to your desk - you have 1 cable to plug into your laptop, not 6.

The battery life doesn't suck - 10 hours does not "suck". Nor does having a PCI-e SSD. The keyboard, I quite like. Comparing it to an air is just stupid.

How about we go back to having a TV with a 28" CRT screen, 5 scart ports, 2 RCA inputs and an analogue tuner? Technology moves on.

15. jk76 macrumors member

The definition of a "pro" in this forum seems pretty fluid and particularly willing to find its place somewhere Apple products can't reach, but where they could theoretically, in the name of rather small customer segment, go.

In real world, many pros know that no laptop could handle their workloads. Laptops can be just good enough for being laptops. It is not rare to end up with workloads that require hundreds of gigabytes of RAM; it's completely irrelevant if your laptop has 16 or 32 GB of RAM for that task. It'll run on the data centre anyway. For instance, workloads involving 128 hyperthreads and several saturated 100-gigabit network interfaces running custom OSes and protocol stacks are perfectly average on my "pro" work.

I don't need to run that on my laptop, though. At least not on full scale. Actually, I'm thankful I don't need to lug around a larger machine with a GPU and its size constraints just because I would need that extra power at most twice a month.

Somehow it seems that for most people defining pro-ness here do it in the most narrow sense they can find in order to formulate "look, Apple is wrong, we are right and so much more clever" argument. My personal opinion is that the new 15" MBP is definitely a positive improvement over my 2012 model. People make it sound like it would be a dramatic downgrade. Go ahead thinking so, but don't go on a campaign to make rest of the world agree with you...

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Awesome that you are loving it OP. It's simple, if you love it, and it's value for money, it's right for you. Enjoy
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2016 ---
    Well the haters and the apologists are just as bad as each other when it comes to the new machine . The truth is somewhere in the middle. For me "Pro" is a BS markerting term which means you bump up the price....

People getting the new PlayStation 4 pro must be feeling superior to the regular PS 4 users...totally worth the price jump :)

For me it's a great machine, from a design point of view, nothing about it makes it any more Pro than last years model, it's actually pros / cons between the two

17. jk76 macrumors member

The funniest part in this discussion is that I haven't really put any particular interest in claiming the computer fulfills some magical "pro" requirement. To me, it's just a nice laptop. Amount of teraflops or port selection of my laptop is not a measure of my pro-ness, nor lack of certain level on those measures would be manufacturers' insult towards me. My world would definitely be sadder place if such logic would actually make sense.

In my opinion getting agitated over a product line name is pointless, and feeling that any specific company would have a "duty" to provide them with products of their dreams is way over the top. Apparently it makes great pastime for many. (Sometimes it does disturbingly remind me of those pop fans that have gone to stab their idol, though.) Sadly too much of it clouds outsiders from actually making an unclouded judgement of new products.

Apple definitely makes products which are so much outside my sweet spot I basically loathe them, but know what? Forming a mob ranting about that would seem most pointless, and antisocial thing to do. Instead I choose not to buy those products and buy something I actually want.

18. monkeydax macrumors 6502

So true! Love them buy them, hate them leave them!

19. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Someone speaks the truth. If You don't like it, don't buy it. If it's no better than your current laptop, don't upgrade. If there's a better/cheaper machine for you, go ahead and buy that.

No need to belittle other people's choices or criticize ad nausea Apple for this or that.

A couple of examples about charging/magsafe pros/cons:
    A) magsafe was great but I have connection problems (in all my older laptops) because of a humid climate
    B) being able to charge from either side is actually more useful on a daily basis as my setup/locations is not on a passage/corridor
    C) as another member pointed out, ANY charger will eventually work with your device, be it a smartphone, tablet or another computer's port.

Others might have a different perspective:
    1) they work all the time in crowded spaces (cafes, auditoriums, lounges, etc) so magsafe is a must
    2) they live in dry climate (eg Phoenix) and their 5-year magsafe port still works perfectly (no need to connect/disconnect multiple time or reverse the cable)
    3) they couldn't care less about other chargers because they have 3 chargers (home, work, travel bag) so they are always safe

So you see, no option/decision is better or worse UNIVERSALLY. Apple makes a judgment call, most times it serves a majority (but not all times) and a minority of users will feel left behind (SD card users, including me, were left out).

That's technology 101. Life moves on, now faster than before.

20. wherewuz macrumors member

wherewuz

Dude you're going to need to expand on this whole "Flying to Denver to buy an iPad" thing.

21. Karnicopia, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I'm feeling a bit of the same, I absolutely love this laptop. I'm coming from Lenovo work PC's and a history of Asus gaming laptops and I just love the balance of power and portability. I have a 13" base with 512 GB storage and it's just great to use and with the portability I find myself using it a lot more.

The screen is amazing and I was absolutely shocked at how great the speakers are, I also really like the keyboard after using it a while I think it's a significant upgrade. So when you add those things together apple basically greatly improved my interaction with the laptop on every level sight, sound, touch. It adds up to something significant, just really enjoy using this it's a great laptop.

I don't think the touchbar is a gimmick either, I know a lot of shortcuts and still find it really useful and quick. It kind of reminds me of the Apple Watch in that it is not something you spend a lot of time playing around with but when you don't have it around you start to miss it.

The ports are really a positive for me, I like how flexible and fast they are, bought a few cables and one good travel adapter that has everything I'd need. I get where people are coming from on this that has a lot of legacy equipment but for a lot of my old legacy stuff I just replaced the cable between the devices so it really wasn't a huge deal. Same for my camera, yeah we lost the SD card but I have a USB C cable for the camera that I can use instead so really doesn't cause me too many issues there either, I just replace a cable I was already carrying anyway. So for me personally this whole transition isn't that big of a deal.

Overall the laptop seems to handle everything I've thrown at it great so really happy with it. Seems fast, powerful and I was worried about battery life at the beginning but it seems to have settled in nicely. I guess I give up the quad core and big gaming card but I can have all of that in a desktop (or the Asus) and am really enjoying this more as a laptop than any I've owned in the past. Really happy with it overall.

22. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

BTW there is no such thing as the word PRO. It's the same for photography, no such thing as Pro gear no matter what they call it . The answer here is if your a Pro than the tools you use are Pro. There are Pro photographers that use a iPhone and make money from it, they are Pros gear does not define that. This laptop is every bit as good as my last one actually better than my 2013 top end. I leave the description as that. Great tool to work with it does what I need it to do.

23. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Definitely the nicest MBP Apple ever built. Everything about is great and feels premium. Still room for improvements but really happy with it as the first iteration.

24. AZ Jack macrumors newbie

How are you early adopters getting along with the keyboard? Right now it's mostly the keyboard that is holding me back from upgrading my early 2013 MBPr. I tend to be a fairly loud typer to begin with and I have been concerned about the keyboard being too loud. I wonder if I'm making something out of nothing. Do you get used to the keyboard? Do you adapt over time and type more lightly? I frequently find myself in situations where I am capturing notes during meetings, so the quality of the keyboard and the noise it generates is a concern.

25. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Love the analogy - so your 70" TV only has HDMI, right? Oh wait....

Idea of putting nothing but future ports on a top of the line laptop that is replacing for most people laptops without any of those ports is simply idiotic. It's called a transition period. We need both. USB-C has no market presence right now.

Battery life is nowhere near 10 hours. First laptop from Apple where advertised life does not match real life.