OK. let's tone it down a bit...we have more in common than we don't

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Aug 18, 2017.

1. blackfox, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So, I'll preface this with the fact I had a migraine last night and did not sleep well...so forgive me if my points are not perfectly phrased...that said:
    Looking around recently, with Trump, with Charlottesville, with Barcelona, with the media...it's all gotten crazy. This, in my opinion, started with a Debate tactic of changing the argument to your advantage and winning - still leaving the original question unanswered. It's like an conversational ponzi-scheme. So people on the left and the right can be spectacular dicks. The Media loves covering this...yet, my point is this: The vast majority of us are reasonable, pragmatic people. We have more in common than we have differences. So why do we allow ourselves to be drawn into an insane argument about (relatively) extreme ideological opposites? I trend Left, but I have nothing in common with the idiotic counter-protesters on the Left who break things and incite confrontation. OTOH, I feel most Conservatives have nothing in common with the Alt-right/neo-nazi dickholes who have gotten all the attention as an example of the Right. Can't we all just have a reasonable conversation? i'd really like that.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    Does no-one else get the sense we're being played?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

hey don't call me reasonable (G) it is pretty crazy right now kind of a fun ride really.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

For obvious reasons, I find it hilarious he's an alt-righter. Look at a mirror, Dinesh.

5. zin macrumors 6502

6. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

ok.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well your attempt failed it is already off the rails. some people can't control themselves.

8. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I admit, for a bit I thought it fun...because it was such a ****-show. The point of this thread, however, is we all live here (or at least have vested interests), so maybe we should get our **** together. Even in the confines of this Forum, I will find myself arguing with someone who we wildly disagree, in another thread we totally agree...this happens - but I have a lot in common with zin, herdfan, and darksithpro...I want all ideas to be brought to the table...writ large.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    happens. I'm an idealist. Also an optimist.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Keep in mind that some of us (including me) really are spectacular dicks but you have to keep in mind that this is PRSI where no matter the topic we get behind our comfortable walls and lob grenades. PRSI is not really a place for logical, measured debate it's an attempt to keep politics and contentiousness out the greater forum. Most long standing and venerable forums have something like a PRSI if they don't they have very active moderators who are quit willing to use the ban hammer. Think of this place as a college dorm room or a barracks

10. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, ok. This reminds me of the 4Chan theory behind Trump btw...

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You'd the reason we can't have nice things anymore.

12. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

A tad trite, but nice.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Those tend to occur when everyone is comfortable watching a really boring evening news broadcast (of which, imagine a typical day with Mike Pence or maybe GHWBush) and that noise we hear is not someone taking target practice against the side of your barn, or some urban drug deal getting settled.

Eveyone is stirred up now, we got to one of those places where rights of one group seem to invade or diminish rights of another group. Stuff like that happens every day in our own house at the breaktast table, among siblings. That stuff gets settled however it gets settled and sometimes that's brutal enough, but it's familiar. When it's a sketchy breakfast with strangers and someone starts up with something or other, then reasonable dialogue might go out the window and tribalism sits down at that table.

Haven't we all had experiences where we're chatting with a friend, criticizing someting stupid a sibling did, and the friend makes the mistake of saying yeah he is pretty much a flaming ,,,, -- and how fast it turns out that that sibling is the rock and comfort of your very life and the flaming ,,, is on the edge of being a former friend, at least for the rest of that encounter?

Well that's sort of like how PRSI gets sometimes. I offer some indication of open mindedness about something and the other party takes a chop at what used to be my firm view, and suddenly as far as I'm concerned I never said what you built that crock on and then we're into it.
    Then, all the "you don't get it" and "no you are who doesn't get it" start to show up. Pretty soon the language filters get deployed lol and after that it's just the luck of the draw that the binaries of VX that we're throwing around are not mixing. If it were real life we'd all be 86'd out of the bar.

Then if we are lucky the mascot criminal mexi midget jk puts up some pepper GIFs or a completely unsuitable meme and we laugh or curse and get into topic drift and maybe the mods don't get involved after all. looking at you @jkcerda. Hat tip... I think. :p

but see in the back of my mind now am i wary about you or do we start even up friends next time.

No clue what the answer is. Time passing, usually. Kicking the can a little farther down road?

sorry about your migraine. I don't get them but Trump could maybe switch that up for me.

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I think most of the seasoned debaters here know that we ultimately have more in common than not, and although the quality of the arguments occasionally takes a dive, I don't see much personal attacking, and I spent virtually all of this past weekend arguing about Charlottesville here. Most of us are used to each other, we all know what users support what, who the liberals are, who the conservatives are, who's going to react X way to the latest Trump tweet, etc. Sometimes it can be nice to take a break and have a "reasonable conversation", but I also don't mind getting my hands dirty when necessary :)

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

True it needed a smile face but I am too tired

16. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fair enough. I wasn't talking about the Forum per se, but the larger world. Yet, to bring it back to this Forum - I've been here 13 years and the discourse reflects the larger picture over the years - many a decent poster has been lost to the increasing rhetorical polarity of PRSI. Still, I know there are many smart people here, and I want to hear their opinions...especially in opposition. That's how I learn...

17. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Republican Party needs more Ben Sasses. If he challenged Trump in 2020 I’d support him in a heartbeat. Note Ben Sasse never endorsed Trump and didn’t attend the GOP convention. Heritage’s rating for Sasse is 94% so he’s not a mushy moderate or liberal Republican. I wish the Republican Party was full of Ben Sasses.

https://m.facebook.com/SenatorSasse/posts/1356425404455401

18. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I post here because, amazingly, I still find it to be one of the more level headed political discussion boards online.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Who else tells you and others he loves you?

No matter how wrong you ALL are here I am day after day after day correcting you and showing you the error of your ways, all while endlessly humping your legs in hopes of stealing your I.D or credit card information, hell I even hope for marriage so I can one day be legal , it's not MY fault many of you find me somewhat repulsive. You can thank Mother Nature for making me the Mexican version of Yoda :(

Forever yours, midge (forever subject to change should someone with more money than you show up and can speed up my green card application)

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you can have all my credit info you deserve what it will get you :D even the scammers won't give me anything.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The irony of jkcerda liking that post.

The problem in part is that most of the people who get on cable news—I'm looking at you Dinesh—are morons. For instance, D'Souza's argument is the kind of hare-brained ahistorical nonsense from a person who thinks we can't remember that guys like him argued that Obama was a secret Muslim, pushed the idea that his birth certificate was fake, and acted like Islamic terrorism would just disappear like the Mysterious Mr. Mxyzptlk conned into saying his name backwards.

Dinesh is an ultra-partisan dingbat. And, the left is populated by similar people too.

Rather than trying to win, or defend our guy by twisting ourselves into such rhetorical pretzels that we're likely to end up watching TV through our own earholes, let's be a little more honest.

Obama was a mediocre president. Clinton was a terrible candidate and a lousy choice of president. Trump is a short-fingered vulgarian with an Ego so massive, it makes Unicron a little shy.

And, the rest of the bozos and asshats in government are mostly embarrassing.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

This place is civilized compared to conservative boards

23. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

yeah...aannd...where to we go from here?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

BBQ? Drinks? Party?

25. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, hell. ok. Back in the day this forum used to meet up for just that. in real life.