Ok now that I've sold my mac pro and wanting to use just the mbp as my main machine..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #1
    I noticed that the imacs now have the montevina "early" and I'm thinking heavily thinking about returning the 2.5Ghz mbp and buying the cheapest mac mini and use the mac mini for the next couple months until the montevina is released.

    What do you guys think?
     
  2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    #2
    I think you're changing machines too often! :D

    Seriously, macnn is reporting it's not montevina, it's a special overclocked penyrn. I wouldn't make a decision just on the CPU speed.
     
  3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #3
    Lol, judge me if you will but I'm happy the way I am (anal about money + hardware) hehe! Anyways I guess since I'm still within the 2 weeks for return and that the new mbp is only a 1 month and some days left... I might kick myself for not waiting the mere 1-2 months..
     
  4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    #4
    As you can see from the smiley it's an attempt at humor. But my main point is that the iMac isn't using the new platform. There may be perfectly good reasons to move to the iMac but the new platform isn't one of them.
     
  5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

    gauchogolfer

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2005
    Location:
    American Riviera
    #5
    What exactly were you doing with a MP with the setup in your sig that you can do on a MBP?
     
  6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #6
    I usually encode hd 1080p movies/videos as a hobby but I dont do it as nearly as much anymore. Only music/aperture that kind of deal but the mbp is more than sufficient enough for that. As for hd movies I d/l them and no need to reencode them due to my favorite new toy "popcorn hour". =D
     
  7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #7
    Well I'm not interested in the imac.. and yea I've just found out the imacs are not using the montevina platform and is just a higher clocked up santa rosa *merom*... But I'm sure sometime June/July the mbp's will get the upgrades and just pondering if I should return the current mbp and opt for a mini for now and repurchase when the montevina mbp's are released...

    But the update could be anywhere from 2-3 months away which is still far + the current mbp can handle everything I want to right now just fine and I have no issues with the mbp as well... So I'm just leaning on keeping my current mbp and just upgrade when Nehalem arrives...

    That's the one thing I've noticed about the upgrade game.. if you set your bars much higher you can keep your older(current machine) alot longer...
     
  8. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Location:
    Downtown San Diego
    #8
    It's a penryn.
     
  9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #9
    Oops my bad indeed they are penryn santa rosa.
     
  10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #10
    I would get it if you think you can manage with a machine that is that much less powerful, If so then it's fine.
     
  11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #11
    If the mac mini is about the same performance wise as a macbook.. then its more than doable.. the lowest end mac mini has everything the lowest end macbook has.. except the clock speed.. but I've used a core duo macbook at 1.83ghz and its still plenty fast..

    I would think the mac mini could hold me up until the next mbp revision... man but its hard to let go of this mbp as it is very nice and perfect! Also the mac mini has no fw800.. fw400 could do me well enough though..

    One thing that scares me is the price drop of the current penryn mbp will have when the montevina's will be released... and that quickly.. at least the merom sr mbp's had a full 1 year before having an $800 price drop.. the 2.4ghz 256vram mbp merom sr mbp was $2499 just last year and now it can be bought on ebay for $1600 and brand new from macmall for $1700!!
     

Share This Page