iPad Ok, ok. I caved on the iPad craze and bought an Air.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PatriotInvasion, Dec 26, 2013.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So I've been pretty adamant in past posts that I just don't see the iPad as much more than a "luxury device". I owned an iPad 2 in 2011 and ended up selling it largely due to the lack of Retina (it was hard to look at vs the iPhone 4/4s at the time) and the fact that it was making my $2,000 iMac a dust collector.

Well, 2 1/2 years later, I found myself curious about giving the iPad another try given the excellent reviews of the iPad Air, so I went out and bought myself one this week. I must say, the iPad has come a long way. Retina being the big key, but also the reduced weight of the Air making it a much more comfortable device to use for extended periods. While it reduces the usage of my newer 13" rMBP, it provides a whole new world of computing enjoyment that a laptop simply cannot provide. Holding the internet, an iMovie project, a Numbers spreadsheet, and games all in your hand is a much more intimate and satisfying experience and the new Air is as close to perfect as one could hope for.

Just wanted to share some thoughts for those who have maybe had an iPad in the past and sold it or who are wondering if it's worth having between a Mac and an iPhone. My final verdict is - If you can afford it, go for it. Once you accept it as it's own device and stop wanting it to be a Mac or be an iPhone, you'll really have fun incorporating it into your life. Enjoy.:apple::D

2. JGWolven macrumors regular

Awesome. Glad you enjoy the purchase man. It's a fantastic device. I agree that there is something neat about holding the internet with your hands. Jobs was right. :apple:

3. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

I'd love to get an iPad air...only if it came free of charge :p

4. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Yea, I went back and watched Jobs during the original iPad keynote and he was clear in positioning the iPad as a device that was better at doing a select number of key tasks than either a laptop or a smartphone --- justifying it's reason to exist.

I think over time, people have had trouble (including myself) accepting the iPad for what it is. They want it to replace a Mac, or become a phone, but Apple has been keen on it existing happily between your Mac and iPhone. Not a replacement for the two. I think I finally "get it" now and am happy to have it. It's still the least essential product to have of the 3, but probably the most fun Apple product to own.

----------

Being an Apple fan is not easy on the wallet, but motivation to keep working hard to have these products as a part of your life.

5. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

YES. What an awesome post. I've only just recently gotten to where I use my iPad a BUNCH, compared to small little honeymoon phases I'd go through with it like once a month or so. And it's joyous. My poor 13" MBP sure does miss being my main source of web browsing. :p

6. FAsnakes macrumors regular

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Totally agree on where the iPad fits into the product line. Everyone else seems to be wanting their tablet to replace everything in people a houses and that's just not what they are for. They were never intended to replace your powerful laptop or desktop. They are a super portable device with an awesome battery, ease of use, and an extremely enjoyable coolness factor.

I hope apple never tries chasing down laptops or whatever with the iPad. Let the others fight that losing battle.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Resistance is futile :D

Seriously apple has improved the device's design and the apps have come a long away to make the iPad a truly productive tool. We lend them out at the hospital I work at to help patients and families, I see them in meetings, and I use them for a variety of tasks.

Glad that you've come around :D

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How's this for excellent justification…

Your iPad is actually saving you money because it stops you from upgrading a much more expensive computer due to your not using it as much. :D

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Right there with you. I've never owned an iPad before, but my fiancée and I both have iPhones and I have a MBP. Today, finally, we are both getting iPads. The Air for me, rMini for her. We couldn't be more excited. A colleague let me borrow his iPad 2 a few months ago and it was great. Hardly ever used my MBP (which is good because it's old, slow, and the battery is shot). I can only imagine how great the new Air and rMini will be!

Congrats on your purchase.

12. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Just got mine yesterday too. I love it! I'm normally an Android fanboy but I'm very impressed with the iOS system.

13. rajpatel macrumors regular

Your ipad 2 was making your 2k Mac a dust collector so you sold the IPAD, not the overpriced status object dust bunny.

A dumb comment and also snobby to boot.

I do everything on my ipad since feb that I did with my hp laptop except printing. For that I go to fedex office. I find the ipad a total computer replacement for everything across the board. I think the only people who think you need an arsenal of electronic gadgets like a tablet and computer and phone and god knows what else in addition to all the mindless tv and video games......anyway, I think it can safely be said if you have both a tablet and computer then you are some sort of computer geek

14. Atrin1 macrumors regular

great post! i've been sucked in to apple products since the first ipod video but have yet to own an ipad. that will be changing very soon. i've got some gift cards from xmas that i'll be using towards a 32gb iPad Air in Space Grey :D

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How does having a tablet and a computer make some one a computer geek? We have two tablets in our house and still have a Mac Mini. Also, we have two HP laptops, but they do not get used. The iPads handle almost all of our browsing and media consumption, but I still use the Mini for school work quite a bit. There are also times when I work from home via a remote desktop app. We have also used it to scan childhood pictures of us for our wedding and sonogram pictures of our baby.

Having read your other threads I cannot tell if you are the best troll in the world or just go back and forth on your views a lot. Either way, I don't think it's fair to call the OP "dumb and snobby" for selling his iPad rather than his iMac.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Being a computer geek is awesome!!!!!!!

But what if you're not a computer geek, but need to be able to organize your music better than what the iPad alone can do. Does liking music a lot also make you a computer geek?

17. imanidiot Suspended

What an utterly moronic statement.

18. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Good responses all - minus rajpatel. And btw, the mention of the $2,000 iMac was intended to emphasize the investment in the necessary computer versus the unnecessary tablet at the time in 2011. Chose to stick with the iMac then.:eek:

----------

I agree. I will be getting more life out of my Mac most likely now. Much easier to keep an iPad up to date through Gazelle or Craigslist as needed. The Mac is a much harder sell.

19. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

I love my iPad - but iPads are far from being a complete computer replacement, there are a lot of tasks you cannot do on an iPad - having a iphone/ipad/mac doesn't make me a computer geek - it just means I'm someone that wants an assortment of products for a variety of tasks/needs

Ant.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For printing from my 2 day old iPad Air, I bought Printer Pro for $3.00 from the app store. Works like a charm. It detected by HP wireless printer right away. They even have a free lite version that you can download, to test if the program detects your printer and prints properly with test print page ability.

Congrats, OP. :) The battery life on the iPad Air is amazing. I can see myself using the iPad more and more over my pc, at least while at home or where I know there will be good wifi.

21. Misskitty macrumors 6502

People still go to the Fedex offices just to print? What?

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

I've donated two of my older ones to the children's hospital. They certainly are appreciated. Things are tough on those kids. Anything that entertains them and occupies their minds are well worth it. Same goes for the parents.

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Documents.

24. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Glad to hear your great experience. I've been thrilled with my Air as well.

25. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Damn! If I could sell my iPad4, I'd buy the Air in a jiffy!