Ok, ok, so why did it take Apple so longer to reveal haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlockEight88, Oct 24, 2013.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

And their reasoning for not upgrading the rMBPS to Haswell/Crystalwell in Jayne was? I seriously don't understand why they waited all the way until the end of October for this? They easily could have upgraded the MacBook Air and Macabook Pros in June of this year. Instead they only update the Airs and make us wait 4 long months for practically the same thing?

Come on!!!! If these would have been out sooner, I know it would have saved me a big headache.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thunderbolt 2 wasn't available then was it?

You can probably make that statement for any apple product, like the iPhone 5s, or the iPad mini. Their timing is their timing, and we have no idea internally why such decisions were made

3. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

4. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Well for example because the top spec I7 cpu in the 15" only became available now. Have a look here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/76088/

It says availably Q4/13.....and Q4 only just started

5. ChildishGambino macrumors member

Thunderbolt 2 and the BTO 15 inch processor perhaps

6. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If you chose to believe rumors and wait for the release, then you have no-one else to blame but yourself. If you desperately needed to get a laptop sooner, why didn't you get one then?

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Apple only has so many engineers - they can't re-design every laptop for a new chipset all at once.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Why is it everyone taking so long. Dell XPS 15, Precision M3800 are also just arriving. Asus Zenbook, Samsung Ativ 8 are still outstanding. Most of the high end notebooks that use quad core processors have taken their time.
    Only notebooks that used the MQ chips came timely. I think it must be in part Intels fault or just the general market situation and seeming disinterest in notebooks bigger than 13" ultrabooks of the Air kind.

9. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

There is no reason they couldn't have introduced these at the iPhone event last month. It took Schiller what, 5 minutes?

Ridiculous

10. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

If anyone needed a laptop over the last few months then there was a perfectly acceptable range of machines available.

Don't understand what you are banging on about.

11. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If they didn't have the components, they had no product to ship. It's been said in this thread already, and many tech sites have teported it: Haswell was delayed, Intel had trouble with low yields. And now Broadwell has been pushed back too. Bad yields in mobile quads with Iris/Iris Pro = no laptops with them available.

And again: no-one forced you to wait. If you urgently needed a laptop, why did you wait?

12. thebrobrah macrumors regular

probably yield/production issues for the 5100, 5200

thunderbolt to me is not important at all...

i dont know anyone who used the first version, let alone 2

13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Ok, ok, so why did it take Apple so longer to reveal haswell?

Because Intel

14. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Mavericks. Without the new OS, the Haswell Retina Macbook Pro 15'' probably wouldn't have seen the increase of battery life by an hour. The 13'' rMBP would have only seen battery life increase by an hour. People would think something was wrong since Haswell is all about better battery life.

15. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

 wanted to run down their stock before releasing new Haswell models..

16. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

17. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I don't even know what it is, but I glad I'm getting it. Like my new car - I had a Mazda 626 for 13 years and just wanted a nice car. Wanted a luxury mobile and decided on a Mercedes E350. At first, all I cared about was keyless go and I couldn't give a monkey's about the panorama sunroof. As I waited to find the perfect preowned, my list increased. I wanted distronic(dunno wtf it is, but it sounded cool), parktronic, and everything else. Found the perfect car with a lot more features than I even knew existed and when I read the 2014 models could either park or drive themselves, I felt a bit screwed until I drove my car again.

That baby has a seat-hugging features that clings to your body with every turn. Add the built-in seat massager AND bum-warmer, and all I dream off is going around a mountain in winter.

18. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That doesn't mean other people don't use it. Thunderbolt 2 was the likely reason for the delay.

19. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

What's TB2 anyway and why is it beneficial?

20. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Sorry, but you're an idiot if you think all it takes to introduce a new computer or chip is to simply go on stage and announce it. If Apple had a time machine and could just go into the future to pick out already made products to bring them to the present, yes, that could work; but what you don't see are hundreds of thousands of hours of work to coordinate with chip manufacturers, internal design team, R&D, manufacturing, etc. to bring a single idea, or any idea into life.

If you're gonna troll, go troll on the other conspiracy forums where people spend their entire existence hating on things.

21. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Although I waited since February, I can't be angry at Apple because they never promised anything. Can you imagine the sh--storm they would have to deal with had they promised a date or time-frame, but could not deliver?

I was frustrated waiting, but as I said time and time again, it was my choice - the rMBPs that have been available all year were perfectly good machines.

22. Jim L macrumors regular

I can see why you're saying that. But from a practical standpoint Thunderbolt 1 is only used by a very small number of users. There are almost no devices out there, and those in existence are way overpriced.
    As Apple's excuse, it's a very poor one.

23. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

There's a building in China with Foxconn stamped on the side of it. Dump trucks filled with capacitors and screens go in one side, and finished Macbooks plop out ready to go on the other side. Magical Chinese elves probably do something in between all that. On the side of the factory is a dial that goes from 0 to 1 million and evil Tim Cook held down that dial at zero for four whole months!

Substitute Tim Cook for the CEOs of Nintendo and SONY for the Wii and PS3 or whatever new product is being held back this holiday season for some nefarious reason.

24. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Who said it was Apple's excuse? It's just speculation by someone on a forum.

Typing this on a new Haswell 13", that I ordered online right after the event that was delivered to my workplace (thanks guys in Central Stores for holding it for me) 2 days after the keynote, my guess is that they wanted to have a nice stoick of them ready to go.

I'm sure they could have announced it earlier, but then what? Stop selling the old one? Take preorders? Have huge delays and people yelling?

I can't tell you how awesome it was to hear "available today" and then be able to actually take delivery of one two days later. (I was one of the early buyers of the 27" 2012 iMac and waited so patiently for those to ship out!)

25. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's a port technology for connecting devices to the Mac. It is faster than USB and is also the technology used in Apple's monitor, the Thunderbolt Display.

Thunderbolt 2, which Intel just released in September, basically allows to hook up to a 4K monitor.

The rMBP is a Pro machine, so Apple most likely didn't want the Mac Pro to have it and not the rMBP.