Ok People, need some help with porting my iPhone over to the new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ronnoco, May 22, 2010.

1. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Ok, I had my iPhone 3GS linked to iTunes on my little Acer Aspire One NetBook...it has all my music, pictures, notes etc.
    I moved the iTunes folder over from my older MacBook backup on an external which I keep fairly synced (at least music and movie-wise) with the iTunes library on the Acer NetBook (of course none of the hundreds of playlists copied over to the Mac but all the music and movies did so I was ok with it)...
    I just realized that when I go to sync my iPhone, I'll lose all of the information and media on it because it will be linked to a different computer...

Is there a way to move the iPhone backup over from the Acer NetBook to the MBP? I don't really care about the music and movies but the pics and notes would be nice to keep synced on my MBP and iPhone...haven't moved those over from the NetBook...
    Thanks in advance for any help...:)

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Did you tick the SYNC Music, Movie etc box??
    Because when you plug the iPhone to another computer, it won't do any SYNC

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You just need to tick the SYNC like Address Book, Cal, Notes, Bookmarks, Music and Movie etc

and it will SYNC all the data

4. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

but if the data on the MBP doesn't match the data on the iPhone won't that wipe the iPhone because it is synced to another computer and not this one?
    I was thinking there was a "one-way" sync where I could push the data from the phone (not the music, but the mail settings, pictures, notes and contacts) to the MBP's iTunes library...? I did do a sync with MobileMe and all my contacts, bookmarks and calendars should be synced, but the pictures and notes aren't...or maybe move the iPhones backup file from the NetBook to the MBP?

5. boko macrumors newbie

Have you tried moving the iTunes library.ipl and iTunes library.xml located in the acer netbook's iTunes folder to the new iTunes folder in the MBP?

I did tried moving these files over to another computer and after I moved them, my iPhone will not recognize that I'm sync-ing it with a different computer, it will just sync as usual, and it does create a backup too :D

Hope this helps :)

6. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have not tries that boko. I will give that a try. I move those files from the NetBook over to the MBP right?
    I was thinking of trying to move the .psw file (I think that is what the iPhone backup file is called) over from the NetBook to the Mac but I will try your suggestion. Will these windows files I am moving be recognized by the MBP?

Posted from my iPhone 3GS

7. swish2351 macrumors 6502

It doesn't auto-sync. You have to click it. Just don't click it on your non-"normal"-syncing computer.

8. boko macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's all I did when i moved from a PC to another PC, but I haven't tried moving them to a mac as I don't own a mac yet, I will try it tonight as I will get my mac tonight.

I'm sure that iTunes uses universal file format for the library and it should work between a mac and a PC. Make sure you create a copy of those files before overwriting them :D

9. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thanks again boko...hey, have fun getting that Mac tonight...:D

10. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I'd like to have the MBP be the computer it is linked to....I'm trying to find a way to move the iPhone's data from the NetBook's iTunes to the new MBP's iTunes.

11. boko macrumors newbie

Keep me updated and feel free to ask more questions :D

12. Absent macrumors member

I know I created a backup on a computer I wasn't synced with, and also restored using that backup. Just right click on the iphone icon with it connected in itunes. Then you can go ahead with appeasing itunes' ridiculous request to wipe the phone and just restore it with the backup afterward.

Alternatively, there are guides around on cnet and lifehacker that show how to replace the itunes library IDs to match the one you synced with, so that you can sync with all of your computers. Works if you manually manage your stuff. Pretty easy.

13. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

ok, thank you...now, how do I make the backup (where is the backup file in my Windows XP NetBook so I can copy it on to my MNP)...again, thank you for you patience and help...

14. boko macrumors newbie

You can create a backup by right clicking your iPhone in iTunes and select the "Back up" option

15. deleon macrumors newbie

I just moved my iPhone from syncing with a HP to my new MBP. First, I performed one last backup to my old computer. Then, I followed these instructions to move the itunes library, http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/. Once the library was moved, I opened itunes and verified all my playlists and counts were in place. I then did a sync with the phone. I needed to change the settings to now sync with iCal and Address instead of Outlook as I had been using with my PC. Everything was pushed down from my iPhone into my mac. I hope this helps.

16. Absent macrumors member

17. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I try it before... is all good~ Move it from PC to Mac

What I do is just tick the SYNC Address Book, iCal Calendar, Notes and Bookmarks in iTunes... Then iTunes will ask me what do u want to keep
    (Like iPhone or Address Book) in your case you need to choose iPhone for sure : )

Because iTunes will always ask you when there is a lot changes :D

PS: Weather you will believe me or not... is up to you~ It is that simple :)

Cheers and welcome to Apple life... :D

18. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I believe you mate...thanks for taking the time to help! :)