Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying apples new wireless AirPods?

• Total voters

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
At first I was thinking about it....but I have a pair of power beats 2. The verge review said they kinda suck sound quality wise and are just the box headphones with no wires....so I was like ehhh maybe I'll skip them. Then john gruber said in his review their awesome and way better than powerbeats so now I'm torn haha. Decisions decisions.
Try them yourself.

Don't like them?

Return them.

Reactions: MDePew24

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well now that I've read a little more about them, I might reconsider. I rather like the idea of using it for talking, as well as being able to switch back and forth from phone to iPad - may have to rethink this a bit.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Also, just using one at a time(different ear, of course) doubles your usage time to 10 hours.

Why? If you only use one at a time it doesn't matter. The sound will be mono no matter which one you'll use. You can use them in your preferred ear all day long.

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO
I will be ordering. The main thing that keeps EarPods from working great for me is the cord pulls the EarPod and makes it loose. With the AirPods, the cord is gone so it shouldn't be an issue. I purchased rubber earhoox for my current EarPods to help.

iKimm

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I am not crazy about how they look but I think they will do the job well! So expensive! I have seen a lot of posts on social media that they stay in your ears very well. That is key for me!

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
I'll wait on reviews etc. but they look promising, I don't use headphones that often but they will be nice for walking the dog, train rides, studying etc.

EDIT: Also just realized I could use one of them at my desk at work to listen to podcasts. Damn.

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
I think I can get good use out of these for work use, particularly the easy ability to switch back and forth between devices. I still think they look awful. And the price is way too steep for me to pick them up for personal use.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
well today i use a pair of plantronics backbeat fit bluetooth headphones. they are AMAZING for workouts, they simply do not come out or move at all during any form of running / cardio etc. they sound pretty good but i still think the bright sound of the Apple EarPods are better with a tiny bit more bass for general listening. i don't spend big $$$$ on superior headphones or earbuds.

the problem i'm worried about with the AirPods are the Apple EarPods slip right out of my ears with the slightest movement of the cord. No problem sitting in an aircraft seat or on the couch but unusable for me even walking. they are very comfortable however. i am hoping the reviews are correct and the AirPods somehow fit better, perhaps without the cord etc. it makes a real difference. I won't look to replace my plantronics workout headphones but i would love a tiny set of wireless earbuds that i could use the rest of the time.

i likely will give the AirPods a go but if they don't fit securely in general use I'll have to return them.

Reactions: MDePew24

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I actually like the concept and implementation. I think the price is fair given the competition but given the price, I rather pay a little bit extra for some over-the-ear headsets.

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
They look strange and like you're wearing earrings so probably won't wear them in public but it will be nice to have a pair of earbuds where I can just pop them in my ear and not have to worry about wires or fuss of fumbling with bluetooth so for that reason, day one purchase to go along with my iphone 7 plus jet black.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
At that price? no i can definetly buy a better pair of monitors!!! (And yes they will have a cable but the audio quality will definetly be better!!!)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm undecided about whether to get them or not. On one hand, I love the functionality but they do look slightly ridiculous and I'm really concerned that they'll fall out too easily: My main use of headphones is when running and with nothing to loop round the ear they don't look too stable.

I've also not seen anything about them being sweat resistant so they're probably not that suitable for running even if you can find a way to keep them from falling out :)

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I was at first not interested at all, but now after reading the first hand accounts from reviewers and thinking about it I'm leaning towards picking up a pair.
yeah me too...if nothing else they will would be nice to use at home when doing facetime or talking on the phone here and there the everyday use sort of thing....but using my power beats for the running and the gym and my solo beats for travel.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I will be ordering. The main thing that keeps EarPods from working great for me is the cord pulls the EarPod and makes it loose. With the AirPods, the cord is gone so it shouldn't be an issue. I purchased rubber earhoox for my current EarPods to help.
what kind or do you have a link?

blowfish89

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Pasadena, CA
I may get the Bose QC30. The Bose earphones stay in my ears, nothing else does. I have a pair of older Jaybuds Bluebuds too but again, bad fit and useless for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.