Ok, so am I the only one who loves Apple's maps more than Google?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jer9542, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jer9542 macrumors member

Upgraded to iPhone 5 on Friday. I'm loving Maps. Granted I live in Chicago, which seems to be pretty developed and accurate. I've many people are having problems with common places, but I have not run into a single issue (and I've used it to find well over 80 different businesses and locations in and around Chicago. Fly-over is pretty sweet too. Is anyone else having no issues or gripes with Maps?

2. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Nope, I also love apple maps, although they are still developing it but I can already see the quality and beauty that goes into their apps. The maps are much nicer and cleaner looking than googles, it looks and feels more elegant as should any apple product. Vector maps are nicer than bitmaps that google uses, it gives a smoother user experience when scrolling and zooming. I am excited and can't wait to see the progression on apple maps. The turn by turn navigation is extremely well laid out and very easy to read and not full of bloat and filled with unnecessary cluttered like other manufacturer's interfaces. Give it time and I'm sure apple will make substantial improvements to give us users a great and beautiful, fully functional and elegant mapping system.

3. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I'm happy with it too. Granted I've only used it 3 times, but all 3 times it worked flawlessly. I was actually impressed with it.

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I've had a few hiccups searching for destinations without an address (like typing in Coffee Bean or Tacos in the Search area like I did in Google Maps), but other than that, it's been solid for me as well. Turn by turn is awesome, better than even my TomTom navi since it actually speaks the roads/freeways and leaps above manually looking on Google Maps trying to figure out where I'm going.

The structure of the new Maps is there, now for some people the data has to improve a lot. The good thing is, this is likely the worst it'll ever be, and hopefully it improves faster rather than slower. For a first jab, this is better than I thought it would be.

5. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

I haven't had an issue yet with maps when testing it out around here in Jacksonville, FL. I do plan to go to Orlando, FL next weekend so we shall see if there's issues finding locations there.

So far, loving it.

6. apierrec macrumors 6502

nope, and it will get better & even cooler, it will not be long when EVERYONE will enjoy it's greatness (shorter time it took the G to become what they are capable now).

7. iHawaii macrumors member

+1 for Apple maps. It's only going to get better, too.

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Nope, I love it too. I use it every day driving around South and rural Wales and it hasn't failed me once. Very nice app! I can see why people are complaining but their issues simply aren't my issues. Just the loud minority.

9. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Not the only one but probably in the minority. I prefer google maps hands down but can deal with the apple maps until google releases an app or apples improves.

10. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Used it a few times, worked just fine. I even had a situation where my car navigation was wrong so I used apple maps with voice guidance. Got to my destination perfectly.

11. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Yes you are

When Apple maps is fixed it will be better. I already like the way it handles and displays data, i like turn by turn and i can see massive potential.

Problem is, one of the biggest companies in the world shouldn't have released it in this state. They should have bought waze, integrated the data and functionality and built upon that foundation.

They are just too greedy and want to do it all themselves.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

13. mackinmike macrumors 6502

Two words. Apple Koolaid.

Think you had too much.

14. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

had a weird glitch today, it located my present location- but it kept wanting to start at my ending location instead...I mean WTF? :mad:

ETA: Has the Google Map App release yet?

15. Sneakyfox macrumors regular

Sneakyfox

Tried Apple Maps today briefly and I definitely prefer the interface to Google's counterpart.

Going on a trip next week - will see if it holds up well!

16. dotme macrumors 6502a

I love the concept. I just wish they'd have invested money in POIs and accuracy and worried about flyover later. That's lipstick on a pig. Even where I live in the USA it's not good on accuracy and really weak on traffic.

But I prefer how it looks, it seems faster - I see the potential. One thing I think would help a lot is much faster handling feedback. I sense that the feedback system is very slow so far.

17. doctorandrew macrumors member

I tried using maps turn-by-turn today to get to Roosevelt Field Mall in Long Island, took me to NO WHERE! Had to use google apps map to find out the mall is actually about a mile or 2 away from where apple had it. I did report it though.

18. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

It's working fine for me, I never used google maps but I'm loving the turn by turn on Apple Maps.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's good enough. They need to add street views and do a better job at implementing traffic information.

Google maps got less useful a while ago when it stopped automatically displaying traffic information when entering destination and Google was clearly preparing to sabotage it.

20. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say I prefer it over Google, but I don't hate it either. I have only used it once, and it gave me no problems whatsoever in turn-by-turn.

Not sure if it's as much Apple Kool-aid as it is not believing everything you read and trying it out for yourself before judging.

21. avaloncourt, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I was looking at the satellite imagery of my neighborhood today. Oddly, my property (about 2 acres) is blurry. A few other neighbors are the same way, just blurry squares/rectangles with nothing recognizable.

I also noticed that a nearby lake/dam in map mode appears to have been relocated by about three-quarters of a mile. A road that runs to the south of it is cut short by nearly a mile.

Unfortunately, a road immediately to the north of me shows as a valid road. It's been closed off for 24 years. It constantly tries to route me from the house and across that road.

From the test routes I've had it do, I'd never trust it for any navigation. It seems to have a preference to send the route across dirt roads and non-existent roads. It will go out of its way to route directly past Interstate exits or highways to pick dirt or secondary roads that most definitely aren't saving any time or miles.

I have Navigon and Motion X Drive for reliable navigation.