Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
ok so I got my air yesterday but I am on vacation and the wifi here(in our house) does not seem to like mac I just get "unabule to conect" messages on both my MacBook (died Monday, that is y I got the air) and it does re same thing on the air so I have not been abile to do a whole lot with it (I am on my iPhone now so I appologys for type-os) so far it is probly the coolest mac pacaging I have seen it is just like the iPhone with the lift off top with pad underneath. I did notece the start up time is sorts slow an u can c In my signature I went with the top of the line modle. So maybe u guys could post ur start up times

Thanks

Savagestorm

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
I am very happy with my laptop, however one of my greatest dislikes is the slow startup times. Mine takes a full minute, and for this reason, my laptop is usually just asleep rather than fully off. i am however surprised to hear about your wiFi problem, my MBA has a much stronger signal than my iPhone.

ltsching

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
ok so I got my air yesterday but I am on vacation and the wifi here(in our house) does not seem to like mac I just get "unabule to conect" messages on both my MacBook (died Monday, that is y I got the air) and it does re same thing on the air so I have not been abile to do a whole lot with it (I am on my iPhone now so I appologys for type-os) so far it is probly the coolest mac pacaging I have seen it is just like the iPhone with the lift off top with pad underneath. I did notece the start up time is sorts slow an u can c In my signature I went with the top of the line modle. So maybe u guys could post ur start up times

Thanks

My startup time is pretty consistent with most of the Macs that I've owned over the years, if not speedier. I rarely shut it down and put it to sleep most of the time.
As far as your Wi-Fi problem is concerned, have you try restarting the base station and restart the MBA to see if that helps? My MBA's range and reception is excellent, better than my 12" PB and 15" Al. PB.

Tannerozzy

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Waco, Texas
Well he didn't really say if he was on the wifi with his phone. I also have a much better signal with my Air than with my phone. But I know that some times you can't connect to networks that you should be able to. I've only had that happen at once place, the wireless at my school, Baylor. Apple has acknowledged the problem but has yet to fix it. It could be that you're on a similar type network.

It's weird though. I can be in class sitting next to my friends with macbooks or pros and they can connect just fine, I just can't on my air.

hildegueden

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
I did notece the start up time is sorts slow an u can c In my signature I went with the top of the line modle. So maybe u guys could post ur start up times

Thanks

Yes, you might be right about the long star-up times, but the solution for that is very simple.. Hardly ever shut down your MBA, and most of the time keep it in sleep mode. Well, thats what I do... so I open all the software that I mostly use for work and I don’t quit them, just close it. The next time I open them, they start up very quicly. MBA has enough RAM memory to handle this. That’s why I don’t have complaints about the star-up times. This works for me fine.

Always keep in mind that you have a thin ultraportable machine, which is the best feature of the MBA.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
ok thanks guys. I am on my iPhone with wifi and my dad who has a think pad is using the wifi, unfortunatly my air sees it but will not connect and it will conect to the nabours but will not load anything. (If this was my set up it would be an apple router and a cabile connection) it is a DSL modem + router combo

And yes I am still on my phone

On the bright side I pull it out every chance I get and people can not beleve how thin it is they say" is it real" ha:p

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
ok thanks guys. I am on my iPhone with wifi and my dad who has a think pad is using the wifi, unfortunatly my air sees it but will not connect and it will conect to the nabours but will not load anything. (If this was my set up it would be an apple router and a cabile connection) it is a DSL modem + router combo

And yes I am still on my phone

On the bright side I pull it out every chance I get and people can not beleve how thin it is they say" is it real" ha:p

I would suggest that you shutdown all other machines hooked up to the WIFI and just connect your Air. My Air had few problems connecting to my Time Capsule's WIFI whenever my wife's VAIO was connected to it :confused: It is not the case with other machines but with the Air for some reason!

mykoljay

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Complete opposite take.

My Macbook Air is faster on bootup than my last Dell, and is much better at connecting to Wifi than any computer that I have used.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm

I've used my powerbook nearly every day for three years and have yet to shut it down for more than a day or two when I'm out of town.

What's the benefit of constantly turning your machine off?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I've used my powerbook nearly every day for three years and have yet to shut it down for more than a day or two when I'm out of town.

What's the benefit of constantly turning your machine off?

not much exept to rest the ram and cool down the parts. Oh and give that little white light a break:p

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I have always had problems connecting to my Wi-Fi network with my Macbook while running OSX. It connects just fine when running either XP or Vista. There is something wrong with Apple's wireless driver.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ever since Leopard I have had sporadic issues with the WiFi here; I have an Airport Extreme Base Station, but prior to that was using a Linksys. I had the same problems with the latter router, too. When I was using Tiger I had no problems at all with wireless connectivity.

It's frustrating because it is sporadic. I find that sometimes I can connect just fine, regardless of which of my Macs I am using, but that at other times when I start up, while the wireless airport bars thingy shows that it's on, a good strong signal, I am not actually able to connect to the internet or check my email. The solution, which is a nuisance, is to shut down the computer and go reset the modem and router. This seems to resolve the situation. I've tried various things but so far nothing has worked to permanently solve this problem.

I do know that it's not a problem related to one specific machine. My MacBook Air, my MBP, my Mac Pro have all exhibited the same behavior.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I've noticed some of the same symptoms on my machines. Most of the time, I can get it to reinitialize a connection by turning Airport off in menubar and turning it back on. Mine has network connection as "automatic" in net. preferences. Had to do it just this morning w. home Imac.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Sometimes it works for me, turning off the airport bars in the menu bar and then turning it back on but more often than not it doesn't. Ditto with restarting the machine. Mine, too, is "auto" in net preferences.... I'm in a condo and so a lot of other networks pop up, too, but I don't think that's the issue. My airport picks up channel 11 most of the time and the others are on other channels so that doesn't seem to be the problem either. I think it's something within Leopard and the airport settings/firmware.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I am very happy with my laptop, however one of my greatest dislikes is the slow startup times. Mine takes a full minute, and for this reason, my laptop is usually just asleep rather than fully off.

i agree. i rarely ever power down my machine. close the lid, and off i go. i probably do a full restart one every week or ten days. in fact, i don't really know why i do that because it doesn't effect the performance of the machine at all. i have to kick these windows habits! :0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.