Ok so seriously what happened to that one iPhone clone from china?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nykwil, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I'm sure everyone remembers that iphone knockoff that was being developed in china being shown on gizmodo and engadget weeks after the announcement of the iphone (old gen). The thing even copied the GUI of the iphone to an extent.

People who didn't want the iphone for one reason or another (locked to att etc) decided this would be the phone they were going to get because it had more "features" than the iphone.

Now fastfoward to a year later. The clone of a previous gen iPhone has YET to see light of day. (wasnt it showcased at some german cellphone show and was booted out for having unlicensed mp3s on it's device or something?)

It's been an entire year and even the most "promising" (supposedly) of clones from china have yet to even compete.

I just find it funny :D :D :D

2. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Probably because no vendor in the US would ever touch the thing for fear of Apple Legal. Apple put some pretty heavy patents on the iPhone.

3. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

yeah but even still that thing has been in development for ages. You would think they would've released it in china.

4. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

The meizu m8 was the device.

Hello meizu! where are you now?

5. appledrone macrumors regular

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They cannot be called "clones" because a clone implies that it's similar.

In terms of construction, functionality, quality, and warranty, the knockoffs are complete garbage and can't be compared to the real thing.

For example some big windows lover at my company bought an iPhone knockoff (because the knockoff lists "more features"). It's made of cheap plastic, has a smaller screen, the screen does not respond to touch (you need stylus or use buttons to navigate, the stylus screen is so bad he only use buttons to navigate), the software is not the iphone software, but typically windows mobile junk using poorly made iphone skin and none of the usability and easy integration of iPhone. It has NO wifi.

Guess what is the best "feature" of the knockoff? It died after 6 weeks due to cheap parts and lousy construction (the knockoffs have no warranty). LOL. You get what you paid for.

7. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

They suck, I used to have one, they brake so easy.

8. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

disc or drum? if disc, what size are the rotors? ABS?

9. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

The disk size was 2.5GB

not sure what the else are cus i don't uinderstand them.

10. wako macrumors 65816

lol...

he was just making fun of your spelling, because you said brake instead of break

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As someone said, it was the Meizu M8 (aka MiniOne). It has had its UI redesigned a bunch of times now. Meizu Fan Site with pics

It's taken so long, that other phones such as the HTC Diamond series, actually in production and for sale, have stolen all its thunder.

There are also some decent phones available from China, such as the popular T32, which has WM 6.0 in the iPhone form factor, with accelerometer, front camera and WiFi/GPS available.

12. wako macrumors 65816

Im not sure if the m8 ever had any thunder in the western markets, but in China, where meizu is primarily focusing their business, they still have quite the influence. With HTC being a Taiwan company, i doubt they are much of a competition to them.

13. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

lol... You mean She?