Ok, so we now have 4 operators selling iPhones in Sweden. Still only one in the US.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnFa, Jun 29, 2009.

1. JohnFa macrumors regular

I'm Swedish but I usually hang out on US-based iPhone forums (like this one) so I feel as informed regarding the state of the iPhone in the US as I am in Sweden.

I know everone's complaining that AT&T is the only operator in the states legally selling the iPhone. Just wanted to inform you that we, by July 9, will have 4(!) operators selling the iPhone 3G and 3GS.

This isn't to slam the US, but I find it weird that a small country like Sweden can have 4 operators selling the phone when we only have 9 million people in the country, and the US, with 220+ million people, only has one company. Seems unfair and really strange. What's Apple's reason for this?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

One word.... dollars!

AT&T made significant revenue handoffs to apple to gain exclusivity ... and you could argue for them (AT&T) its paid off with the rate of customer migration
    Apple might be less happy these days since things like tethering and mms delays in comparison to other global networks but AT&T will still want exclusivity for long time

UK has 3 major operators and only O2 selling the phone .... sucks but its same issue...

3. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

That's kinda what I figured. It's a shame though, since I know alot of people using other networks want the phone too. They have no choice, more or less, to transfer to AT&T.

I've been reading alot about Verizon, I think it was, how they're 3G network is "better" than AT&T's. I guess alot of people would think it were gold if they could get one on that network.

Telia, the largest operator in Sweden, started selling the iPhone 3G last summer when it came out. Apparently, they only had exclusive rights to sell it for 3 or 4 months, after that a couple of other companies started selling it. One guy, at the operator 3 (Three), told me there was alot of negotiation with Apple before you could start selling it, which is why they won't start selling it until July 9, when the 3GS is launched in Sweden.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There's only 1 other nationwide GSM provider in the US, T-Mobile, and their 3G runs on a different frequency then pretty much every other 3G operator in the world (a frequency the iPhone doesn't use). No matter what other operator Apple could choose in the US, they'd have to re-engineer the phone. T-Mobile keeps GSM, but requires a new radio for their 3G. Going with Verizon or Sprint requires making a CDMA phone in addition to a GSM phone.

There really is no other option at this point in the US.

5. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

The other issue is that Verizon and Sprint (the next two largest) are CDMA, not GSM, so that adds to AT&T's leverage. Once Verizon crapped out of the negotiations and Apple went with AT&T, they had no incentive to make a CDMA iPhone.

Edit: beaten to the point! ;)

6. applecheese macrumors member

5 networks selling the iphone in australia! :)
    i so wouldn't be paying the prices the americans are. so ridiculously expensive.

7. applecheese macrumors member

wow, im surprised CDMA is still being used in america :eek:
    CDMA has been dead pretty much everywhere for years.

8. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

The prices in the States are way lower than Sweden's. I'd gladly pay them.

When the 3G was release; $199 for 8GB a two year contract in the states. In Sweden, 2 year contract and 8GB: $400.

9. applecheese macrumors member

damn, that sucks! I paid $0 for my 16gb iphone on a $35 US a month plan for 2 years.

10. chox99 macrumors regular

CDMA is alive and well in Korea and Japan, some of the most advanced phones are used in CDMA network. WiMax(Korea) and LTE(Japan) are replacing those in few years.

It's a damn shame T-mobile USA doesn't carry iPhone. Tmo has the best customer service IMO.

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You could argue there's more than that:

O2
    Vodafone
    T-Mobile
    Orange
    (and what happened to Virgin?)

12. robecq macrumors regular

robecq

In Denmark the iphone 3G 8g was only 229us dollars and the length of the contract was 6months!:eek:

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Didn't Cingular/AT&T help develop the iPhone? If so I can understand a longer exclusive deal with them.

In Sweden (I to live there) Telia only had 6 months exclusive deal, after that all the other carriers could make deals with Apple. Which they did after a year I believe.