Ok, so what's the deal with IOS4.2.1 on 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jamesbeat, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jamesbeat macrumors newbie

I'm trying to stretch out my iphone 3G for as long as possible.
    I, like so many others, 'upgraded' to IOS4 and found that my phone became unusably slow.
    When I was finally able to downgrade back to 3.1.3, it was such a relief, almost like having a new phone, so I have left it that way ever since.

Now I'm really struggling to get apps working, as many require IOS4, so now I'm wondering if Apple really did manage to fix the performance issues?

I've searched high and low, and all I can find are very old reports made before it was actually released, or so soon after the release that it's hard to trust their accuracy.

So, now it's been a long time since release, and some of you will have had extensive experience with it, what's the general opinion?

Should I stick with my satisfactorily fast but rather incompatible OS, or risk the upgrade?

I should mention that I rely on my phone being jailbroken and unlocked.

(I also know that I can always go back to 3.1.3, but it's a big hassle that I'd like to avoid if possible.)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've found iOS 4.2.1 to be much better then 4.0 on my iPod Touch 2G and iPhone 3G.

3. jamesbeat thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's better than 4.0, but what I'm having trouble with is how it compares to 3.x.
    I found a lot of reports from people who upgraded to 4.0 and were then relieved when 4.2 was faster, but I can't find any reliable info on what it's like to go from 3.x to 4.2.1.

Is 4.2.1 slow, but not as slow as 4.0, or is it comparable to 3.x?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's about the same for me. Slightly faster once the device is jailbroken and properly optimized. I've also gotten much better battery life on my iPod Touch 2G with 4.2.1 then with 3.1.3. I'm talking weeks of more standby life.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The highest I would go with an iphone 3G is 3.1.3
    4.2.1 or anything past 4.0 is unbearable.

6. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

speed vs usability, if you use 3.1.3 you cant get alot of apps unless you find the old versions somewhere. the minimum now is iOS 4

i used to have an old 3G, what i suggest is, find ways to tweak it into making it a faster more usable device

7. jamesbeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, that's the thing, speed is important.
    I'm typing this on a fresh restore of 3.1.3, and speed is pretty good, but it is the minimum speed I'd be happy with.
    If IOS4.2.1 is even a little slower, I think I would find it frustrating.

I'll keep it as it is and keep hunting for an iphone 4.
    I'm having trouble finding one for a reasoable price that is either factory unlocked or not updated to 5.x, but I'll find one eventually...

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A 3G doesn't have the RAM or processor speed to efficiently run any of the 4.x.x firmware.