Ok, so what's the deal with IOS4.2.1 on 3G?

jamesbeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I'm trying to stretch out my iphone 3G for as long as possible.
I, like so many others, 'upgraded' to IOS4 and found that my phone became unusably slow.
When I was finally able to downgrade back to 3.1.3, it was such a relief, almost like having a new phone, so I have left it that way ever since.

Now I'm really struggling to get apps working, as many require IOS4, so now I'm wondering if Apple really did manage to fix the performance issues?

I've searched high and low, and all I can find are very old reports made before it was actually released, or so soon after the release that it's hard to trust their accuracy.

So, now it's been a long time since release, and some of you will have had extensive experience with it, what's the general opinion?

Should I stick with my satisfactorily fast but rather incompatible OS, or risk the upgrade?

I should mention that I rely on my phone being jailbroken and unlocked.

(I also know that I can always go back to 3.1.3, but it's a big hassle that I'd like to avoid if possible.)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've found iOS 4.2.1 to be much better then 4.0 on my iPod Touch 2G and iPhone 3G.

Comment

jamesbeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
I know it's better than 4.0, but what I'm having trouble with is how it compares to 3.x.
I found a lot of reports from people who upgraded to 4.0 and were then relieved when 4.2 was faster, but I can't find any reliable info on what it's like to go from 3.x to 4.2.1.

Is 4.2.1 slow, but not as slow as 4.0, or is it comparable to 3.x?

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's about the same for me. Slightly faster once the device is jailbroken and properly optimized. I've also gotten much better battery life on my iPod Touch 2G with 4.2.1 then with 3.1.3. I'm talking weeks of more standby life.

Comment

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
speed vs usability, if you use 3.1.3 you cant get alot of apps unless you find the old versions somewhere. the minimum now is iOS 4

i used to have an old 3G, what i suggest is, find ways to tweak it into making it a faster more usable device

Comment

jamesbeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hmm, that's the thing, speed is important.
I'm typing this on a fresh restore of 3.1.3, and speed is pretty good, but it is the minimum speed I'd be happy with.
If IOS4.2.1 is even a little slower, I think I would find it frustrating.

I'll keep it as it is and keep hunting for an iphone 4.
I'm having trouble finding one for a reasoable price that is either factory unlocked or not updated to 5.x, but I'll find one eventually...

Comment