Ok this is really crazy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Apr 21, 2011.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

This is crazy DO these people really think this would work? Myself I know they are only thinking of themselves or their church or people who think like them. They can't possibly want everyone to have this law.

http://www.aclu.org/religion-belief...north-dakotans-refuse-follow-law-religious-gr
    Proposed Ballot Initiative Could Allow North Dakotans To Refuse To Follow Law On Religious Grounds

BISMARCK, N.D. – The North Dakota Secretary of State received a petition today supporting a state constitutional amendment that could allow anyone – including employers, landlords and medical providers – to refuse to follow any law based on their religious views. Supporters of the so-called “Religious Liberty Restoration Amendment” claim to have gathered enough signatures to place the proposed constitutional amendment on the North Dakota ballot in the next general election.

If passed, the amendment could allow people to refuse to comply with any law if they claim a religious exemption.

The following can be attributed to Robert Doody, Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of the Dakotas:

“North Dakotans have a proud history of respecting their neighbors’ right to live their lives according to what they believe, even if they do not share those beliefs. But this proposed amendment could lead people to refuse to follow virtually any law. It could allow people to argue that they have a right to abuse their children, refuse to hire people of different religious faiths or deny emergency health care.”

The following can be attributed to Daniel Mach, Director of the ACLU Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief:

“While all North Dakotans should be free to practice their faith, the proposed amendment goes too far. There are better ways to protect religious freedom without legalizing discrimination and undoing many long-standing laws that protect the public and ensure that everyone is treated fairly.”

2. Love macrumors 68000

Love

*scratches North Dakota off list of states in the U.S. I can live*

Well, that's all of 'em.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let me guess- this was proposed by a Tea Party member.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Some fringe Mormon groups believe in blood atonement. So they'd be able to get away with murder.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What about Oregon. :(

;)

6. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Tea party fascists should be put up against a wall and shot! They would do this in my country.

7. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Did you know the ACLU is a Zionist anti-american based organization bent on destroying religous freedom?

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Did you know you display many signs of having paranoid delusions?

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Call it a religious sacrifice and you could do it in North Dakota! :D

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

So, do we know who or what organization put this idea forward?

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's the "North Dakota Family Alliance" whose executive director is Tom D. Freier who is;

link

13. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Hello, anybody home?

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And where does this allow one to ignore laws in the name of religion?

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Wouldn't this basically authorize sharia law?

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

So essentially this law is saying the the state government of North Dakota would cease to exist and there would be anarchy. If no one needs to follow laws, that's really what this amendment means.

However, what makes it extra silly is that North Dakota can't secede from the Union, so the residents would still be subject to Federal law. That would spoil the party.

17. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

have you ever been to north dakota? There are more reasons besides this that would encourage me to live somewhere else.

I've been there, and it sucks. North Dakota is the embodiment of everything that invokes upsetting emotions while watching the movies "napoleon dynamite" and "gentlemen broncos"... If you've been there, you know what I mean

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah give religious christians a little bit of power and this is the kind of stuff they pull...

::sound of crickets::...........so anyway, yeah that law is ridiculous.

19. Sydde, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yes I have, and you are way off base. Apart from the fact that the creator of those movies is from Idaho, there is nothing particularly good or bad about North Dakota. It is a decent place, with commendable and detestable people, much as you would find in Colorado or Mississippi. Most states have a fair mix of people, and most states are being run by excretory orifices.

20. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes!

This law would hopefully be shot down in the courts faster than I can type this sentence.

21. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Yes of course - but so what? We aren't islamophobic, are we?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, not a bit of it.

We'll just give them the tools with which to defeat us.

Silly season is in full swing.