Ok where's the fox and CBS shows to stream to my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SilentLoner, Apr 1, 2012.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Picture the scene. Jumped into bed to nap but felt like watching blue bloods before sleeping. Turns out its not on the xfinity tv app so I look for a CBS app and nothing :( same with fox. Please help.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Hulu Plus

There is an iPad Apps forum that is specifically for iPad Apps. Given you didn't bother to post there, did you bother to look there?

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Obviously s/he wasn't looking to pay for what should be free TV.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

By what right should it be free? I know of none, but please enlighten me if there is such one.

ABC, NBC and CW have free apps because they built a business model around it. But there are by no means obligated to offer them. Fox and CBS, stupid or not, have a different business model and do not want to make their content available at no cost to iPad users. They own the content or temporary content rights. It's their choice. The only "free" TV is "over the air" with an antenna. Even sat and cable companies have to pay the traditional OTA networks to rebroadcast on their system.

OP: Slingbox is a decent work around. Yes, there is an initial "start up" cost but it's free after that and works great.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Fox shows are on Hulu+, but so far I haven't found a way to stream CBS (or at least not how I met your mother). And unfortunately the Hulu+ app sucks - unlike Netflix, if you switch away from the app for even a second (say to reply to an IM or something) you have to totally reload the video.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Maybe try Splashtop or some similar app to play CBS/Fox on your computer, while watching it on your iPad?

I personally haven't tried it, just an idea.

EDIT- Or maybe a browser that doesn't identify itself as mobile/iPad Safari?

7. TB07-NJ, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

HUH? First of all, CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX have been free for the 65 years I have been alive and as long as I can stick a coathanger out my front window.

Ahhh, the younger generation. Never saw an antenna and thinks all TV comes down a cable and ATM machines are where money comes from. ;)

The ONLY reason one pays for those services (HULU etc) is because they make money off your sub and the networks feel "why should HULU make money off our FREE programming so we will charge them" which makes perfect sense. The cable companies originally didn't pay for carriage until the networks got smart and figured they are making money off of US so why shouldn't we charge THEM.

Edit: You do realize the networks send a TV signal over the public airwaves for FREE and make their money off advertising.

I'm not talking about cable channels like HBO, SHO or TNT, BRAVO etc, but about the 4 major networks one of which is CBS which the OP is looking for and seemingly didn't want to pay iTunes, Hulu or any of the other fee based suggestions everyone came up with to watch.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Obviously I understand over the air TV is free because I noted it in my original post. Duh? Or maybe you didn't bother to read my entire post?

Over the air TV is free because the airwaves they use to transmit their signal belong to "the public." But it's only the OTA broadcast that the public has a right to access for free , not the right to demand the networks provide their content for free in other venues. Some networks choose to do this as part of their business model, but there is not governmental (FCC) requirement for them to do so, and come choose not to, for whatever reason.

Morever, while the networks must provide their OTA signal for free to consumers (not to cable companies or others that rebroadcast it) they have no obligation to ensure than any one person receives good signal quality. That's why cable and sat TV came into existence. So if your coat hanger doesn't work and you are too cheap to pay for cable or sat or buy downloads it's not each offending networks problem (at least legally).

BTW Fox has only be broadcasting since 1986. Obviously, you can't read or count.

9. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I didn't notice a iPad apps forum so thanks for the attitude. If it annoyed you that much why reply? The Internet really does bring out the worst in people.

Thanks. I have been flip flopping about getting Hulu plus. What annoys me is CBS is on demand for Comcast so why not let Comcast do it via their app grrr

10. waynep macrumors 6502

Watch out for the forum police. They don't like posting in the wrong area, and posts that have already been answered . . . But if everyone used the search function and found the answer to their question, there would probably be no more posts because everything been beaten to death already. Also the entertainment value of forum would be severely diminished :)

11. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

This is true :). The search feature on most forums suck balls hence why I didn't use it.

12. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Hulu plus is a pain... I use it, begrudgingly. It's still the best for what it does though. I usually just bootleg stuff I want to watch on my iPad and completely ignore my tv and dvr (that's how I rationalize it anyways!)

13. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

But that's what I mean. I don't get what it does. How does it differ from Netflix?

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

TV on demand is normally a paid for affair. I normally link the iTunes version because it's the easiest and safest way to get content. It means that you can rewatch any of the content at any time and the content is yours after you purchase it. The alternative is to go searching/mucking about the internet for the episodes that you want and then either going through conversion process or you pay for streaming services that are on a perpetual monthly rate. With iTunes, you purchase it once and the content is yours. Simple and elegant solution.

15. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I just think the model sucks. I pay over $130 month for directv and I get a few channels that I am able to stream on my iPad through their app none of which are the locals.

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It's the networks that make things a paid model. Even what should be free content is paid for on different services all because networks don't include commercials on the content. Everyone has to eat somehow. Looking at all the different models out there, for me it always seems the solution with the most longevity, flexibility, and least amount of overall cost seems to be the best solution for an imperfect world. In this case, the iTunes store allows you to purchase your favorite content with no expiration date that can be stored on their servers if you ever decide that you don't want to store it on an iDevice, mac, or Windows. The free alternative is piracy but it's a pretty short-sighted model.

17. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

And I have no problem paying for it when I love a series and after I've watched it once I do buy on iTunes but for one episode that could be trash I'm not that fussed.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Unnecessarily snotty post, IMO.

19. TB07-NJ, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Were you aware the price of pistachios has gone up by 15c on the spot market already today?

20. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

CBS streams shows on their website, including HIMYM and Two and a Half Me, just an FYI...

21. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Their site uses Flash for the videos.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You are entitled to your opinion. From my perspective if one is going to snottily snark at a posts without even reading the entire post for context then they are entitled to the blowback.

Yes, and lean hog futures are up .30. but I don't really like to deal much in nuts or pigs.

23. brand macrumors 601

brand

I guess you missed the part where I recommended Hulu Plus. :roll eyes:

Your welcome, thanks for posting in the wrong forum and then being a turd about it.

24. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

No I appreciated that. :)