ok, why cant I add anything to the Applications folder???

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
is this a Jaguar Bug? cause it worked before and I can put things into folders already inside the apps folder. BUt not directly in it....nor can I make a new folder within the apps folder...

WTF??!?!!!!?

:confused: :mad:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: ok, why cant I add anything to the Applications folder???

Originally posted by teabgs
is this a Jaguar Bug? cause it worked before and I can put things into folders already inside the apps folder. BUt not directly in it....nor can I make a new folder within the apps folder...
I can make folders in my applications folder...

go to terminal and type:

ls -la /

and print the Applications line here... Mine looks like this:

drwxrwxr-x 48 root admin 1632 Sep 3 22:12 Applications

(fixed the command)

arn

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Does it deny permission to edit the Applications folder? The installer may have screwed up some of the priviliges.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Durandal7
Does it deny permission to edit the Applications folder? The installer may have screwed up some of the priviliges.
it doesnt deny anything....just says it cant be done. And its not locked....as for arn's suggestion...I'll try tomorrow as its my gf's computer and I dont have OSX yet...

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
get batchmod (i'm too lazy for heavy terminal work) and make sure that your applications folder is stet to allow your user to modify it. i had the same problem when i was messing around as root and returned to an admin user, it did not give me any "you dont have privelages" messages, it just would not let me change it.

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
if you are running 10.1.5 or below use Apple's Permission repair utility. you can get it off their web site.
if you are in Jaguar run Disk Utility and go to the "Repair Disk Permissions" under the "First Aid" option.
Should cure all your ills.