ok. wtf @ this problem now.. my Router/Modem crash every time i use face time. IP 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by llbaronll, Nov 27, 2011.

1. llbaronll macrumors member

Hi...

so whats the issue? every time i use the face time with my friend... 10 15 seconds later, the Face time stops with the error no wifi something, when i look at the modem, the modem it self kinda like it reboots or something. it lose connection to all the house.

wtf man. am i the only one with this ?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What brand router do you have?

How old is it?

3. llbaronll, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

llbaronll thread starter macrumors member

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Your router is faulty

5. llbaronll thread starter macrumors member

No its not :/

6. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Lol your joking right lmfao. That's sounds just like a apple customer service reply.

Mine does exactly the same thing. But i also have the AirPlay issue where it's cuts off as well. I know it's not my router as every other dam thingi have works flawlessly so I know it's not that.

7. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i have got the same problem!! mine router is Linksys WRTP54G! any ideas! if i facetime with my iphone 4 and ipad 2! it doesnt restart!

8. llbaronll thread starter macrumors member

are all you people with this problem on iphone 4s or iphone 4 too ?

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

read my post!! no problem with 4 or ipad2!! only problem with 4s!

10. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

While there may be some issue on Apple's side of things it is safe to say that your router firmware does have issues. All it should be doing is passing along internet traffic, that traffic should not crash it.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Agreed.

It's most likely that the router can't cope with the technology Apple uses to pass Facetime through the router's firewall.

Many routers have poor implementations of the required feature (UPNP). Often it works erratically, causes the router to crash and reboot or it simply doesn't work as it should.

13. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

well i just tried some other router and i didnt get any problem! it didnt restarted! so i think time has come to get a router which supports N

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Current generation Apple Airport Extreme; no problems with FaceTime whatsoever. iPhone 4S included.

15. lmsele macrumors newbie

Here is what happens to my 4S during facetime

I have a Cisco WRVS4400N WiFi router on both ends of my Facetime calls.

One is version 1.3 firmware the other is version 2
    Version 1.3 router crashed EVERY SINGLE TIME I use face time.
    Version 2 firmware does not crash.

I have done all of the recommended things like opening ports with no success.

I even located my Iphones under Settings / WiFi settings on the Iphone and put the assigned IP address on DMZ (essentially putting the Iphone on the outside of the router firewall)

NOTHING FIXES THIS PROBLEM!

I have boiled this down to 3 possibilities.

1. Iphone sends some commands through the router that causes it to hang.
    2. My ISP blocks my service when they see my Iphone FaceTime traffic (if they do that they are in BIG trouble)
    3. The router sends some data to the Iphone that makes it go berserk.

At a very minimum CISCO and Apple need to get on the phone with each other to sort this out. They are BOTH getting a black eye over this.

I am talking to my ISP to make sure they don't block Facetime traffic. BTW, most IPSs block outbound port 80 traffic. (Yeah, that's a dirty little secret. ISPs don't want you to host a website on your home service.) We need to make sure FaceTime does not need port 80.

Port 80 is the port where web traffic goes. (anything with a http:// in the address)

This did not happen until Ios 5.1 was downloaded on my 4s and my wife's 4s

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

OK, I don't have too much advice more than -- I would troubleshoot from a router perspective first. I have a WRT110 and I've used facetime on both 5.x and 5.0.1 on my new 4S without problems.

That doesn't mean my router is awesome. In fact, my router does NOT handle ipv6... at all. It will crash and burn. It will down the entire internet connection at my house. So when I format a machine (I'm typing this on my wife's MacBook Pro but I'm about to format my win 7 laptop) I will need to remember to go into Windows settings and disable ipv6. Don't ask how I figured this out... but it just goes to show you that routers are more to blame for this kind of thing than you may think.

17. lmsele macrumors newbie

4S has a crash report - Apple, are you monitoring this blog?

Apple, I hope you are reading the crash reports that 4S sends. Here is my latest crash report for Face time:

Date:2011-12-18 08:19:13 -0500
    Incident ID:04B2B7C9-F6B4-4962-9BCE-256CFFBA94BA
    Hardware Model: iPhone4,1
    OS Version: iPhone OS 5.0.1 (9A405)

18. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Im agreeing with the people that said its the router. My router did this when I would play ps3 online, or even try to download an app on my
    old iPod touch. Unplugging the router and plugging back in temporarily fixed the problem. Linksys support told me the router was faulty, and when I went over a certain bandwidth when downloading, it crashed. Buying a new router fixed it obviously.