Okay I'll admit it, I *bleeping* hated the ''boxy'' iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linkgx1, Oct 5, 2014.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

I remeber seeing Gizmodo's ''leak'' and was not impressed. I wasn't impressed because I'm not a fan of ''hard edges'' on eletronics. One thing I loved about the original iPhone was it's rounded, curvy design. The 4-5s to me was an 'awful'' aesthetic choice for me. I mean, design wise it was great.

To me, the 6/6S is a homage to the original design because of how it just curves. It just feels so smooth and ''rests'' in your hand. Also, rectangle/square designs make everything hard for me to hold/handle for long periods of time.

Like what Apple has done a LOT. Granted, the accessories will have a harder time ''protecting'' the newer displays, but...I'm getting AppleCare.:cool:

Anyone else feel the same?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I still like the feel of the 5c better than the 6. That curve is perfect.

3. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Forgot about that one, it is a nice device to hold. :cool:

4. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I like how it reminds me of the 1st gen iPod touch.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I like how my iPhone 5 reminds me of the monolith from 2001 the movie. And I like how it feels in my hand.

Sorry, OP, I have to disagree. Although I'm with you when it comes to the 4/4s as I do not care for those models.

The 6/6+ though just reminds me of the 3GS. I used to have one and liked it, but the 6/6+ is not a 3GS.

6. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHuxbnSJQp4

Appropriate :cool:

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

8. darkonex macrumors member

I still prefer the feeling of the iPhone 5. I got my 6 on Thurs and really didn't like it very much the first couple days because I really don't care how thin it is and don't like the curved edges. I'm used to it now and I do really like the phone. I have it in an Otterbox Symmetry which helps but it's still too thin and curvy, I need to find a good case that makes it thicker and makes the side flat like the feel of the 5. I was going to get an Otterbox Commuter like I have on my 5 but evidently the one for the 6 has issues with being really loose fitting among other things. I've been looking and not finding anything fitting yet, maybe one of those iBison battery cases when they come out.

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I wish Apple made a 5C 4.7".

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

iPhone 5 was the best since it was actually all black instead of this space gray nonsense.

11. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

Yea I agree, I hated the boxy design, it's just not ergonomic and too sharp in pocket. The first iPhone's rounded corners were great, I'm glad Apple went back to that. Now if only it didn't have those horrible plastic bands...

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I wish they made the 6 in the full black. It would look amazing and they could hide the antenna bands even better.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I wish they did. Pack everything in the 6 now and fill the rest with battery! :D

14. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I actually prefer the flat edges much more than the rounded edges. Granted, on a 5.5" phone, flat edges would be disastrous; but on the size of the iPhone 4 and 5, I much preferred the flat sides as opposed to the rounded ones of the previous generations.

I do love how the rounded screen curves into the 6 though, and I hope to see that in the future iPads as well.

15. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

agreed

16. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

I didn't mind it on the 4, but I couldn't use the 5 case-less because of it. Call me overly tactile sensitive, but I HATED holding the 5 in my hand. Sharp edges and nowhere to grip.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I kind of have to agree. Aesthetically I loved the 5/5s design, but it just didn't feel that great in hand. I found a great minimal bumper that really helped, but the feel of the 6 was one of the primary things that drove me to upgrade. No case this time.

I hope this design makes it to the ipad because again as nice as the chamfered edge looks, it's always a bit uncomfortable in hand.

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I loved the curved back of my 3G and I never put a case on it, because it felt great. I was never a fan of the sharp feeling edges of the 4-5 series, and they were way too slippery to not use a case.

So yes, all the curves and even the curved screen of the 6 makes it my favorite iphone design yet. I do have an ultra thin case on it for a little more grip, but it still shows off the design and hugs the curves.

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

The 6+ is a perfect fit, with a case, for me.

I felt like the 5/5s series was just a bit too narrow because I generally don't use one hand only while I use my phone. I always felt like I was overlapping the edges too much while holding the 5 series. The 6+ lets me open my hand a bit more while using which is more comfortable.

20. weckart macrumors 68040

The shape and appearance of every iPhone from the iP4 onwards has been irrelevant for me and most owners I have spotted.

Apple has made each phone so fragile with the possible exception of the 5c; glass backs, thin, malleable frames and scratchable surfaces meant that pretty much everybody went out and bought cases for them. The shape and feel is dictated by what protection you deemed sufficient to make up for Apple's design shortcomings.