Okay. Is there anyone out there w/ a 24" iMac that doesn't freeze?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ozziegn, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

as the title says.... I'm in the same boat as with tons of other people who's 24" iMacs are freezing for no apparent reason(s). So I can't help but to wonder if in fact are there any people out there with these new iMacs that don't have this freezing issue?

if so, please speak up so at least it can give me a glimmer of hope that some day my new 24" iMac will act like a normal computer w/o all this freezing nonsense.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Mine has not frozen yet. There are many other users that also have iMac's that do not freeze.

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

Mine doesn't freeze. If it did, I'd take it back. An unreliable computer is near useless if you need to work on it.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

5. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

^ I agree 100%. I think the new ALU 24" is a disgrace to the Apple name and that they (meaning Apple) should have never let any of these new machines w/o being 100% fully tested and "burned in" (so to speak) before leaving the assembly line.

after all, this is what sold me on Apple in the first place. what was (key word being "was") their long-time company reputation for having good and reliable products has been somewhat diminished by my $1800 desktop "freezer".

some might say that there will always be lemons on anything mass produced and I will agree with that to a point. however, this freezing issue isn't just something that is widely scarce, it's a VERY common problem that needed to be fixed as soon as it was first made apparent.

6. mbalson macrumors member

mbalson

7. psonice macrumors 6502a

I guess if it WAS really widespread apple would have caught this much earlier. Look at the number of people reporting no freezes here - it's a minority getting the issue, and apple could never soak test EVERY mac they sell.

8. mzd macrumors 6502a

mine doesn't freeze. currently running leopard, but it was fine in tiger as well.

9. Italchef macrumors 6502

I received mine mid september and it froze a couple of times during its first week. Since then I've tried to make it freeze but it hasn't. I stayed away from the iMac updates ( until the last one) but did install the iLife update. The problem seems to have worked itself out. There is a report today that said that the issue could relate to over heating. At first my iMac did feel very warm, almost hot, on the top left corner in the back. This was after really running several apps etc. for an extended period of time. I don't think that it's ran as hot since.
    My freezes were related to Front Row and iPhoto.
    I've been running Tiger and have not update to Leopard yet.

Mick

10. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I bought mine the first day they came out, I believe that was August 7th.

24" 2.4 and has froze about 2 or 3 times with in the first 2 weeks. Never again.

11. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Runs absolutely perfectly. No flaws, cool and silent. Best of the three iMacs I have had.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nope, no freezing here. I even installed update 1.3 to see if that causes any freezing problems so I could take it back if necessary.

13. SteadyHand macrumors newbie

Mine froze once the day after installing Leopard and never again (knocking on wood). Sorry to those that are freezing.

14. je1ani macrumors 6502

15. likwidplastik macrumors member

No issues here. I'm on a 24" 2.8GHz iMac w/ 4GB OWC ram. I haven't had a freeze before or after Leopard.

16. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Ditto. Same specs, same ram. Machine itself has been perfect. My only complaint has been Aperture. Please Apple, do something about that!

17. Alloye macrumors 6502a

18. Chuckypool macrumors member

19. je1ani macrumors 6502

Same specs and same ram lol and I've been having problems with aperture too :(

20. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I've been reading a lot about Aperture issues on the Apple boards. Basically, it's the only app that is running, well, like crap for me at the moment. (this is on the same machine you are using according to you specs).

Frankly, I'm not sure what to make of it. In full screen mode, when making adjustments, it's laggier than my old G5. Also experiencing random crashes in the app. This is even after a fresh OS install, as well as Aperture, library rebuild etc. Getting frustrating as it is my most used application.

Well, hopefully, as a number of people make their living with it, and are complaining as well, a fix comes around soon!

21. Chris88 macrumors member

I am having no problems with it. It works great

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No freezing here. Alu 24" 2.8 Ghz.:) I've had it since Aug 13th. Play Quake 4 all day, run Front Row, Photo Booth and play the iTunes visuals and screen savers and it's all good.

23. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Ugh another thread yay.

2 months old today, no freezing.

No freezing on Tiger, no freezing on Leopard. I'm a happy camper I guess you can say.

24. seanacy macrumors newbie

24" New Al Imac, 2.4G, 1G ram + 1G added by myself. I run heavy stuff (3D games like CS source, photoshop, video incoding etc)mostly on Windows XP on Bootcamp and never had any problem. (altho it's only a week old)