Okay Sony, I think you might wanna.... oh I dunno... consider a price cut maybe? Iono

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Dec 11, 2008.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Alright so Nintendo is continuing their quest (rather successfully) to put a DS/Wii into every household in the world with a crazy 3.6 MILLION units sold in November.

MS is doing rather well with a nice 836k units in November, a 50k over last.

Meanwhile, Sorny? Yeah... a nice 378k for PS triple. Less than HALF of what it did last year. And this year it has a decent holiday load, LBP, R2, MGS4...

I realize it's only part 1 of 2 in the holiday shopping season but wow Sony... I think you might need to take a good look at that $199 360 and realize what that is doing to you. Economic crunch and a $400/500 system isn't all that appeasing.

I know they don't wanna cut prices since they are only breaking even on the $500 Uncharted 160GB bundle but after shooting their holiday load, they are still stumbling. It's kind of getting a little sad :(

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It needs to be priced alongside the Elite Xbox 360. Do that=win. It's finally picking up the titles now and Home, whilst... um... not great, could be a great way to attract players.

For references sake- the Elite is £230 with games, controllers. The PS3 is £272 alone.
    Premium is 160, Arcade is 127 (same as PSP). Wii hasn't budged at 180.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the elite is 400 in the US, which is the same as the ps3

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's good for the US :rolleyes: but a fully working and kitted out 360 with a few extra games and extra controller is still £112 less. The difference would pay for 360 Arcade or PSP. I know they launched later here but they need to drop that price a whole load.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

huh looking at amazon.com and comapring with amazon.at it seems you are right .. i didn't knew xbox US wasn't following with the price drops

that said amazon.at has the xbox elite + kung fu panda +lego indianajones currently at 248 euro instead of the 298 euro it usually costs (seems like a bargain to me)

the ps3 is still at 399 but you can get deals with remote + game + some cables for the same money at smaller stores

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

With the PS3 still being sold at a loss, and Sony's dire financial report, and the announcement of global price RISES on all Sony goods to combat the falling $$, a price cut on the PS3 whilst needed in the marketplace, seems ever further away at least for now.

7. internetmachine macrumors newbie

Why would Sony cut the price. The PS3 is just a better console than the Xbox360 similar to how a Mac is better to a PC. The premium is fully justified.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

If Sony lowered the price for the PS3 then SCEA would be the next people in line asking the US for moneyz :p.

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

At least it's still a great value, $399 and you get a games console with Wi-Fi, free online and the best Blu-Ray player in the market (I'm just pointing out some things its closest competitor doesn't have). Blu-Ray is great, I've watched 3 bluray movies and I can't understand why people say upscaled DVDs look the same, it's a big difference.

They do need a price cut though because some people are just interested in a games console and the 360 does the same as the PS3 (sans free online) in that regard.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sat back on a sofa in a living room environment I really can't tell the difference, even on the jock off 46" Bravia. Computers I can see (lul), since they're a lot closer. I'd hope that the iMacs in Jan get a bluray player but if not I won't be spending more on HD films.

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I guess this is it, I only sit about 1-2 mt away from my 32" TV so I can tell every little detail (man GTA IV has way too many jaggies) and I can very much tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

The way I see it, why get a huge TV if you are going to sit so far away that it looks like a small TV?

:)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So more people can watch it without sitting on each others lap :cool: we've got a fair sized living room and it was better than squinting at the old 32" TV.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think Sony is doing well with the current price the PS3 is going for....they had a good year selling it at that price plus they are leading MS in sales for the year(not by much but that still shows the PS3 is selling)

I want them to lower the price now because I want to purchase another one for my bedroom...I could care less about who does or doesn't buy it.

Bless

14. Stepper macrumors regular

+1

I need one in my bedroom asap

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

16. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I wanted to put one in my bedroom since I have an HDTV in there but.... my gf said she would dump me :( I say we can live with food for a few weeks so I can spend my money on (another) PS3.

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I like the choices in the market, so I want all three Gen7 consoles to be considered successful. While I believe the PS3 is a success, it is also the least successful [by sales volume at least] of the three...so far. A nice price cut is unlikely until spring, and will happen then only if Sony can reduce manufacturing costs a little more, or if the 360 continues to eat their lunch.
    ----------------
    I have an 80GB PS3 in the bedroom, aloong with our 40" Sammy 1080p.

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. [/Ferris]

Of course, since my launch 60GB with full b/c has died, I'm down to one PS3 and I now need to get another PS2 for my occasional Team ICO fix.