Okay to disable right fan and have left fan running at full speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flarn2006, Jul 21, 2011.

1. flarn2006, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

flarn2006 macrumors newbie

I've been having a problem with my right fan being too noisy (I mean like a grinding noise), and right now I have the fans set up like this:

Code:
    smc -k 'FS! ' -w 0003 #Manual speed mode for both fans
    smc -k 'F0Tg' -w 60e0 #Left fan set at 6200 rpm
    smc -k 'F1Tg' -w 0000 #Right fan set at 0 rpm (disabled)
    Is this okay? If it gets too hot, the system will do an emergency shutoff, right? (Then I can reset the SMC before starting it up again.) Right now, the CPU temperature is hovering around 60-70˚C after having it like that for a few minutes. And what about setting the left fan to automatic control? Would that be okay? Also, what about increasing the speed of the left fan above the factory-set maximum of 6200 rpm? Like maybe 7200?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why don't you simply buy a new right fan?

3. flarn2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's the plan. I have AppleCare coverage and I'm going to take it in, but this is just a temporary solution.

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

No this is not okay. Take it in as soon as possible.

5. flarn2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, will do. Thanks.

6. pooprscooper, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

pooprscooper macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. I've been looking for a way to keep my fan speeds down for a couple years as I too have the grinding problem with my MBP fans. Rather than setting a manual fan speed, I let smc handle the fanspeed but limit it from going above 3k rpm with help from this http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110704054835249

Here's what I use:

type: "su" and enter root pass
    type: "cd /usr/local/sbin"
    type: "pico smcFanReset" and paste the following
    press ctrl+x then Y to save.
    type: "chmod +x smcFanReset" to make it an executable

grab smc from smcFanControl and type
    type: "cp /Applications/smcFanControl.app/Contents/Resources/smc /usr/local/sbin"

For anyone wondering how to set specific fan speeds with the OP code, take the desired fan speed and multiply it by four then convert to hex. For ex: 3000*4 = 12000 converted to hex = 2ee0

[​IMG]
    To fix the fan grinding noise without having to buy a $30 fan you can simply grease it up using this guide(except, don't use wd-40, use real grease such as 3-in1): http://nofilmschool.com/2009/02/how-to-fix-a-noisy-macbook-pro-fan/