Okla. Girl, 12, Shoots Intruder During Home Burglary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 20, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

As time goes by, i support hand gun ownership more and more. This story could have turned out very differently if the girl's mother didn't keep a gun at home. She could have been raped and killed. Unfortunately, the only way to deal with some people is to shoot the stupid out of them.

Link

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

she shot before she saw who it was? coulda been worse, but thankful shes ok

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well he kinda broke into the house....

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Balance the satisfying outcome of this heart-warming anecdote against the much more statistically-likely outcome of an untrained person firing a gun for the first time in a confined space, and against the numerous cases of children being killed by firearms in the home, and the case for gun ownership becomes rather less attractive.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm a flaming liberal regarding almost every other issue. But I agree with you here. I think that handguns should be allowed. I do support an assault weapons ban...no sane reason anybody should have access to those.

I don't support concealed carry though. But you should be able to have a gun to defend your home.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Can we please stick close to the case in question and not go off into general second amendment/gun control issues please. That ship has sailed many times before and it will not be settled here, nor are you likely to change anyone's entrenched position.

B

7. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

That comes across like a .40 caliber glock gun advertisment.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Quite true. She could have damaged her hearing permanently.

Better to risk being raped. They have councillors for that.

"Even a 12-year-old girl can handle one, so what are YOU waiting for???"

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Kudos for the girl doing the right thing.

10. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

"I think it's going to change me a whole lot, knowing that I can hold my head up high and nothing can hurt me anymore."

hmmm....no comment.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Good for her. :)

But I don't like this statement.

I hope that she doesn't think guns are the almighty answer to safety.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'm glad everyone was alright (well, except the criminal who got shot in a legal act of self defense as per the Castle Doctrine). However, as a former firearms instructor, this story concerns me greatly. I would advocate that if you have kids in your house, you acquaint them with firearm safety and possibly how to fire a firearm. Children as young as six can learn and retain safe handling practices. Even if you hate guns, I would advise learning gun safety and teaching it to your children. The article doesn't specify whether or not the child was taught gun safety and if she wasn't, this could have ended in catastrophe (she may have been...we don't know based on the available info). If the child was not taught gun safety, storing a hot pistol within child reach is a reckless thing to do. AND, Even if the child was taught gun safety, she could have been seriously injured when firing a firearm for the first time without instruction, especially a 'snappy' caliber such as the 40 Auto. Again, I am glad it worked out but this can show the importance of teaching your children firearm safety and handling, as well as the importance of having the legal right to defend yourself.

----------

It's completely possible the firearm wasn't even a Glock...the media uses the term "Glock" to describe any semiautomatic firearm as do many song artists when the sing about harming others with guns. Glock and semiautomatic pistol is used in a sense like Kleenex and Tissue.

13. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not really. I'm talking about this individual case, and in this case gun ownership worked out for the best. Makes me consider getting one myself. I don't feel unsafe at all, but it would be nice having the peace of mind knowing that if someone tries to break into my home, I have the chance to kill or wound them.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Interesting word order there. Very telling.

To hit an adult in the shoulder, a 12-year-old would have to aim up.

He's lucky she didn't just shoot from the hip. ;)

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The primary goal of defense with a firearm is not to use it. When you do, you use it to stop, not kill/wound. The visual appearance of it in itself is a deterrent to many. Before owning a firearm, I would strongly advise training that explains not only tactics and legal specifics but also the discretion that should be used when deciding when to and when not to pull the trigger. Personally, if I could safely escape, I would let someone rob my home all day long rather than engage them with potentially lethal force.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, but not really relevant in this case.

Come back when you're a 12-year-old girl, with a closet door about to be opened to reveal you.

17. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The word order was intentional, i think my gut reaction to someone breaking into my house would be to try and kill them. Very primitive of me, i know. But hey, we are animals after all.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

In this case, it may not have been and there may not have been a way to escape...the child's age compounds logistics. But I was speaking to me personally and advocating to a potential owners the use of discretion when possible. That isn't always possible and may not have been in this case. We don't know based on available information.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

20. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Only in your imagination.

It is far more likely that the perp was merely after money to buy drugs.

21. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

You go girl. Hold your head up high. I shudder to imagine how terribly much higher the US crime rate would be were not at least a few criminals slightly deterred by a similar scenario. Guns protect people. People kill people.:cool:

22. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Only in YOUR imagination. Burglars who are after money don't usually bang on the door and then search for a little kid inside their house. Obviously, he opened the closet door because he could hear the girl in there. If he was just after valuable items he would let her stay in the closet, steal what he wanted, and then leave. It's far more likely he was after the kid.

----------

The same thing that would have happened if she didn't have a gun at all. At least this way she had a chance.

23. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Interesting counter to the two recent cases of fathers (one being a cop) shooting and killing their sons, believing they were intruders.

I'm kinda torn by this. I was raised with guns, I'm a decent shot and had gun safety drilled into my head. As an adult, I still shoot sometimes with guy friends, but at the end of the day, I'm still bothered by the glamorization of the gun culture here in the US (and even moreso here in Ohio).

At the end of the day, I'm worried about this girl's mental health. She took the life of another human being, and I've seen what it's done to friends and family who have had to kill as Marines and police. I hope her family helps her deal with any guilt or PTSD she may experience.

24. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You didn't read the article did you? She didn't kill him, she shot him in the shoulder. What she is dealing with is the opposite of PTSD, she's actually pretty damn proud of herself.

25. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That is pure conjecture on your part. Criminals are more likely to respond to violence with violence, assuming they have the means.