Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote Overwhelmingly To Ban Advanced Placement U.S. History

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 17, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The Republican strategy is becoming more and more obvious as time goes by. Keep em' dumb while they're young so they can become uneducated and uninformed right wing sheep when they get older. Reason #1,256,345 to NEVER vote for anyone with an R next to their name. Link.

----------

Welcome to the Fascist States of America.

2. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Wow maybe we should add GOP the party for the stupid to their long list of insults.

This is a really? Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
    We are seeing a repeat of the minority rights with Gay rights. Same stupid arguments used in the 60's are being recycled.
    Looks like the GOP wants to try to be able to repeat stupidity.
    We already hide some of the horrible things we have done in our pass. Like gettos we put Japanese americans in during WWII. Hide some of the horrible things we did during the slave trade or Civil. Both north and south on that part.
    This to me shocks me and they are using religion as an argument.
    Conservatives find it hard why we have a hard time listening to their opinions. It is because their leaders make stupid arguments like they do here.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So what exactly is in the curriculum of the Advanced Placement History modules?

Because yeah, there is way too much Ward Churchill style silliness creeping in academics. Too much activism, indoctrination, punditry, opinion and personal politics rather than actual history.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree that history is important but that it is often taught badly.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's a concept that should die right here, right now.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. This is what breeds the contempt that some people from, say - Iran - has for us.

Or does this idiot politician not realize that he is doing the same exact thing that DPRK is doing: trying to always paint us in a good light when this country has also committed atrocities.

He should also look inward towards his own state for such atrocities; there are a fair number of Indian tribes there form which his ancestors may have taken their land.

I think I'll be writing a nastygram to this guy (via my father).

BL.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm more concerned with breeding delusion amongst Americans.

10. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Is any more proof needed that the conservative right is a farce? These people are nutcases. Give me the progessive path that JFK and RFK would have led this country on rather than the path the insidious neo-cons started advocating when Bedtime for Bonzo Reagan was elected.

----------

Via your father?

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My father lives in Oklahoma City. Wouldn't take much for me to speak my mind "as if" I'm a resident there.

BL.

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Really? The entire curriculum? It's 143 pages. You want everyone here to read it before replying? Or did you not even open the link meister shared? Sure, no need to comment on the topic and the comments of the dimwits who passed it. Just complain about the bias against your beloved "R". Carry on

----------

[/COLOR]
    This is what I'm more concerned with about as well. They're bringing us closer and closer to true Idiocracy.

13. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

So you admit to not reading it yet you're using the story to bash Republicans. It's your usual shtick so we're not surprised. Just don't be surprised when you get called out for it.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't see anything in the AP History modules that is incorrect and it seems very similar to my AP History classes so they haven't changed much in more than a decade.

First, while Ward Churchill become an important symbol for the right because of his outbursts, he didn't represent mainstream historians and he still doesn't. While the right likes to harangue about personal politics in history, the AP History doesn't include those ideas because it's meant for high school students and provide a structural baseline for history.

Second, we see similar attempts to re-invent history from the right by pop historians like Glenn Beck, Jerome Corsi, and Bill O'Reilly.

And, any history that ignores is an attempt to infantilize Americans by telling them they're good boys and girls. The United States was born in blood and steel, built on the backs of slaves and the graves of Native Americans.

It was built by pirates and heroes, insurgents and statesmen, cruel racists and noble philosophers.

The United States is complicated and wild, dangerous and heartbreaking.

The person who says America the City on the Hill is trying to sell a fairy tale.

15. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Called out for what? You didn't call me out for anything. Someone posted a 143 page long pdf of the entire curriculum. The dimwits who want to get rid of it point to exactly what bothers them about it. They're pretty open about their reasoning. It teaches "bad things about 'merica" and emphasized what they view as "the false wall" between church and state. But yeah, you're right, I have no right to criticize any of that without reading the full 143 page PDF. Tell you what bud, you go ahead and read it, and let us know what you object to in it. Do that instead of deflecting from the topic in the most desperate way possible. Of course you're not replying to the topic, it's your usual shtick so we're not surprised. Deflection is the tool of fools. That's why the Republicans use it so often in their campaigning and why their sheep voters have mastered the art as well.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

Dude, you should be a writer. ;)

An argument could be made that the making of the United States is the selling of fairy tales.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It's always those who feel most ashamed of their past, who try to re-write history.:cool:

18. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Your tired MO is skewing stories with the intent of making conservatives and republicans look bad, like in this thread. Or this one.

The point with my admittedly snarky comment was you don't so easily accept the alternative viewpoint when it goes against your theme, i.e. in this case the idea that other states are also considering banning the same AP U.S. History course because of its flaws.

19. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't make Republicans look bad, they do it themselves. Every time someone on here calls them out on it, you go on the defensive and start deflecting. You never comment on the contents of the story or give your opinion on it. They actually have a word for that.

If that was your point then you've failed to prove it. My "theme" is not whitewashing US history, and these lawmakers are openly advocating whitewashing history to high school students who can very well handle the truth. Apparently, conservatives can't handle the truth though so they certainly don't want their children knowing it. Explains the whole "abstinence only education" nonsense....

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the Germans are pretty embarrassed about the holocaust and they don't try and pretend it didn't happen.

That said they are the exception.

21. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

If they were Republicans they would be...

22. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Call it a defense mechanism. It's your ulterior motives that prohibit me from commenting on the story and giving an opinion. You know, natural instincts of avoiding baited traps.

----------

See, there you go. Couldn't prove my point any better, could you?

23. kds1 Suspended

kds1

The Japanese have problems with their teaching of the Second World War, specifically Manchuria and Korea.

24. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Or it could be that many times you find yourself overwhelmed with the stupidity of so many republican politicians on a daily basis and are unable to defend them all so you deflect. I think that theory makes more sense.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Ha ha, this is priceless!