Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote to Fire Clerks Who Issue Same Sex Marriage Licenses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 17, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wow, two Oklahoma threads in less than 24 hours! The stupidity is gushing out of there today. This time, it's 100% UNCONSTITUTIONAL even to an average onlooker. Same sex marriage is legal in Oklahoma thanks to a federal court order. State lawmakers now want to threaten any judges and clerks who follow the federal law with termination. As if that's even remotely constitutional. Our fiscally conservative friends are sure going to keep lawyers' pockets filled at taxpayer's expense, and this law will be tossed by courts out immediately if passed anyway.

2. kds1 Suspended

kds1

There's a reason these states are known as "flyover" territory.

3. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I want to see our conservative members try to defend this BS.

The GOP really is earning their tag line. Hey GOP 1960's calling. They want back their stupid arguments.... Maybe this is why they want to stop teaching history. People will figure out how out date their arguments are.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How did I know it was sponsored by Sally Kern? That woman is evil.

When you know the name of a representative in a state you've never set foot in, it's usually not for a good reason.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Stupid is as stupid does, let the lawsuits commence.

6. rdowns, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She needs to be sued for violating her oath of office.

EDIT: What the actual ****?

http://thinkprogress.org/education/...nts-study-ten-commandments-3-speeches-reagan/

7. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

8. stroked Suspended

stroked

That goes for some senators too, like Harry Reid.

9. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I guess it depends on your brand of unconstitutional foolery. It could be Oklahoma legislators with a last ditch effort to not enact same-sex marriage law or the POTUS changing immigration law. It's funny that one might label the former as stupid and in the same breath label the latter as good policy.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sorry but have the Supreme Court ruled that the immigration law change is unconstitutional?

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Understandable, and sad that Oklahoma requires two threads for two major acts of stupidity in such a short time span.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, not really. I can name a lot of US senators and US house reps. Anyone who pays attention to the news should be able to.

Sally Kern is a representative in the Oklahoma legislature. Not even on the national level. How many state level representatives outside of your state can you name? I can only name one and it's Sally Kern, because she is always in the news for saying some hateful, bigoted things.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This isn't a very well thought out comparison.

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

By your own words, calling it an "immigration law change" makes it unconstitutional since the Executive Branch does not have the authority to make law. Obama's executive order was just blocked by a federal judge. It's early in the process but it may very well end up that the SCOTUS renders a decision.

----------

Thanks for your opinion. Funny, both are hot tops of political debate, both in the vein of being unconstitutional or not. Seemed an apropos comparison.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

One is just much, much further along than the other. The ban was found unconstitutional and Oklahoma appealed all the way to SCOTUS, who declined to review.

It won't be an apropos comparison until we see what Obama's reaction to numerous lost appeals is.

Fishing for hypocrisy, IMO, isn't the best way to engage in a debate if you truly have an opinion. If you think threatening to fire clerks who issue legal same sex marriage licenses in a state who has lost numerous appeals is OK, than just say it's ok. No need to cloud the issue by bringing Obama into it.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It's cheaper to put up legislation like this and draw national media attention than to spend time soliciting nonexistent funds from a dead-broke local base. The majority of that base is unfortunately still ignorant enough to assume that the reason they're broke is because they don't have more common sense legislators like the guy from their own district, whose name they actually heard today on the radio!!

They've been programmed by now to expect that mainstream media will make fun of whatever their local lawmakers propose. They've been programmed to assume that the Supreme Court will try to invalidate those local laws. What's in the legislation doesn't matter. What they think about the legislation matters but the bottom line of their thinking is that IT'S THEM AGAINST US.

These outlandish bills are all the 21st century equivalent of the Willie Horton ad. They're meant to stir the pot. And, they work.

To be fair but not balanced, the left is not without its outlandish proposals in local legislatures now and then. It's interesting that they're largely ignored by national media. Maybe we only fear rightwing crackpots. Probably a mistake but it's one that might matter only farther down the road. The pendulum hasn't quite swung rightward enough to alarm the majority of the majority yet. Bob Dylan probably hit the nail on the head with "It ain't dark yet but it's gettin' there." Sometimes seeing the sun slide behind a mountain is picturesque. Sometimes the chill in the air a half hour after that is a real shock. And sometimes, it's fatal.

18. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Both have been found unconstitutional by federal judges. Sure, one is further along but not a stretch comparison by any means.

I engaged in the same tactic used by the OP here all the time, you know, like bashing all conservatives for the acts of a few which has become a tired theme of his on PRSI the last while. Sure, it could be argued that I shouldn't stoop to that level but my intent with the original post you replied to was an attempt to point out the hypocrisy of labeling one side as stupid while the other gets a pass.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This particular legislation would make it illegal for state employees to issue licenses that have been found to be legal numerous times on numerous levels.

If Obama, in response to several losses in federal court, put out legislation to make it OK to fire a government employee for refusing to follow his original executive action, I'm pretty sure many of us would be outraged by the ridiculousness. I know I would. When and if that happens, I'll be the first post in the thread you create about it's stupidity. Until then, as I said, the comparison between the two just doesn't work.

20. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

You're not getting it. Obama CANNOT put out legislation. That's not the function of the Executive Branch. It's already unconstitutional for him to do so and in that sense he's even further along then the OK legislature because he's already enacted his unconstitutional action and had it blocked by a federal judge.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Yeah, I get it. You're just proving my point that the comparison doesn't work. :D

When he threatens to fire anyone who doesn't enforce his EO, after it's been found unconstitutional, then we can talk.

In the interim, would you like to share your thoughts on the OP? Or are you just here to derail the thread?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think this backs up my view, although I wasn't aware that judges at any level had found Obama's immigration bill unconstitutional.

23. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I welcome stupid state legislation. Makes federal intervention more likely and more quickly. I'll be happy when same sex marriage rules are equal across all 50 states.

BTW, thank the GOP. They are doing just as much to 'advance' equal rights, than any 'gay agenda', with their blatant ignorance and bigotry.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....Then how in the hell did Reagan get away with it?

Oh right, the executive branch has discretion to focus resources given that there are simply not the funds or manpower to execute every law on the books...hence the whole point of an executive in the first place.

But all that aside, you're deflecting and conflating issues. I think OK lawmakers need to retake a civics class. You can't fire a public worker for doing their job, that would be classified as retaliation amongst other things.

What a sad sad state of affairs.

25. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Oh, so for my comparison to hold ANY weight, he has to threaten to fire people? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did share my thoughts on the OP. Derailing it is just as much on you as it would be on me for continuing this little sidebar.

----------

You probably wouldn't be since those types of details tend to be ignored on this forum.