Oklahoma Protesters Threaten to “Secdee” From Union Due to "Cosmos"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Apr 14, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

http://topekasnews.com/oklahoma-pro...-union-neil-degrasse-tysons-cosmos-cancelled/

Where to start. Ahh yes...

#1. Epic Fail. The typos are actually part of the article, nothing I have fatfingered.

#2. Neil Tyson really does look like Griff from Married with Children.

#3. Really? Westboro gets a free pass, but any other thinking is blasphemy? This closed-mindedness was one of the many reasons I didn't move to Oklahoma, despite having all of my relatives there. I've often joked that the opposite of Progress is Congress, but this is making Regress come up to be an even push.

Just wow.

BL.

[​IMG]

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ignorance, and the celebration of it, is the greatest issue facing the US.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I *think* its satire.

Haywood Bynum II has previously published articles accusing the Denver Broncos of flooding their stadium with marijuana smoke in order to confuse the KC Chiefs.

5. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I see some people are claiming this is satire (something akin to The Onion).

Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: vrDrew: We posted at exactly the same minute, lol.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Total idiocy brought about by imagined supreme beings. This kind of thinking along with f'n guns is what is going to sink us as a great (good?) country.

----------

TopekaNews.com is legit and carrying this?

Update: I just snooped around that site and it looks like none of its page links work... highly suspect. :p

7. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

It's gone back and forth for me all day. 503s all over the place. It seems to be up and working now. I do see local news on the site as well, and that is one of the things I look for to see if it is legit (not that it couldn't be legit, but they're there).

The only thing that sorta has me crying foul is a WHOIS lookup on the domain points to the Cayman Islands.

I'll see if I can find another site to corroborate this.

BL.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

https://www.google.com/#q=topekasnews+satire

Apparently it is Satire.

However, with things Republicans do nowadays, I wouldn't put it past me and totally would not be surprised.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It's Oklahoma , what would we lose if they left? Nothing.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm not sure if this is satire or not. Either way, it's safe to say the paper plates at a wedding crowd aren't happy with cosmos.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Hope it's satire, I've yet to find people this dumb in Canada thus far :p

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"Saddlebridge Township" does not exist in Oklahoma.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought they'd got drunk at a cocktail bar and then decided to secede.

14. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's definitely satire - http://topekasnews.com/the-curious-habits-of-a-secretly-lesbian-wife/
    http://topekasnews.com/13-christian-tips-help-republicans-avoid-gay-flings-new-male-intern/

The 50 shades of grey review is hilarious as well.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

17. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Darn. I was so looking forward to this episode.

Hosted by Ian McKellen?

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Fort Sill, Oklahoma is the home to the field artillery. Altus, Vance and Tinker Air Force Bases. The Coast Guard Institute. Oil and gas production. Not to mention 3.8 million people, dang near all of which do not want to secede from the nation.

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Ha, very little oil and gas production still goes on there. It's a rancher state now.

And the rest sounds like good ol military pork. THREE air force bases in practically the geographic center of the country?

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Most of our Air Force bases are not near the coast. More are geographically centered. They try to build Air Force bases away from population centers. People tend to complain about the noise besides the land is cheaper.

Attached Files:

• AF.jpg
      AF.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  21. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Travis, Los angeles, McChord, Andersen, and Hickam AFBs would differ with you, and those are 5 just off the top of my head.

I worked for the USAF.

BL.

22. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

To expand on this, as I wrote this initially about not being near the coast, I missed the issue of not being near population centers..

With that, I don't know where you got that map, but it is severely incorrect and/or out of date.

Tinker AFB is missing. That's in the middle of Oklahoma city.
    Nellis AFB is missing. That is in the middle of Las Vegas.
    Luke AFB is missing.
    McGuire AFB is missing.
    Pease AFB is missing. That is in the middle of Nashua, NH.
    Vandenburg AFB is on the Central coast of California.

So what you're finding there is severely incorrect.

BL.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There are exceptions but more of the military bases are away from the coast than on the coast. *Useless Trivia* The only US Air Force Base ever destroyed was Homestead Air Force Base. It is now a Air Reserve Base. It was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew.

Stole the map from somewhere on the AAFES site. Rather than debate the topic or the value of Oklahoma to our country, let's debate where the dots are drawn on the map.

24. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.

Travis AFB is on the Bay.

Los Angeles AFB is on Sepulveda Blvd in El Segundo. 300ft from the Pacific.

Hickam AFB is Honolulu Int'l Airport. In town and on the water.

McChord AFB is in the middle of Tacoma and on Puget Sound. 500,000+ population there and next to Seattle.

Andersen AFB is in Agana, Capital of Guam.

Vandenburg AFB is on the central coast of California, near Santa Maria. It physically is on the coast.

We haven't even touched those AFBs that are jointly operated at public airports.

Getting back to Oklahoma, Tinker AFB is in Midwest City, OK; on I-40 near the heart of OKC. I have an aunt and uncle who work for the USPS on the route that serves Tinker, and my father is 3 miles from it.

Thankfully, with people in urban Oklahoma, they are a bit more progressive thinking than those in the rural areas; My father was born and raised in such a rural area. While not completely Bible Belt (though it is), going against anything that they don't agree with is akin to taboo. People still have race issues there, so when you bring in something like this that completely goes against the grain of their religion, they do get bent out of shape.

Case in point: integration, GLBTQ, the disabled, and the Enid, OK business owner who wouldn't serve them.

The common statement about being so big and landlocked in the US is that "the middle of the country is the last place to get something new, and the last place to get rid of it." That really does hold true here.

BL.