Oklahoma rep seeks to ban gays from National Guard

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 26, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Wow- this is just sad. These people will stop at nothing.

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/bre...ep-seeks-to-ban-gays-from-national-guard.html

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Apparently he didn't get the memo that the country has moved on from the DADT kind of policy. If it's good enough for all the branches of the military, then it's good enough for the guard too.

3. Designer Dale, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is why Republicans are so big on States Rights. They want to build all these little fiefdoms with their own rules, laws and perceptions of reality.

If I recall right, DADT was a Clinton thing and the current ruling is an Obama thing. That's enough for any Republican to deny that it is good policy.

I read Conduct Unbecoming by Randy Shilts and the military's actions towards gay soldiers was despicable.

Dale

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

One would think.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. DakotaGuy, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This won't go anywhere. All State National Guard personnel policies are derived from NGB policy which is derived from DoD policy. States could possibly attempt to set their own eligibility requirements, but don't because they are extremely difficult to defend if they are different from NGB policy. They also risk losing Federal funding. The State National Guards receive the vast majority of their funding at the Federal level (unless it is a short term State activation) so I am not sure how being in non-compliance with NGB regulations is going to go over at the Pentagon. If passed it wouldn't take long for this to end up in court somewhere and in that case U.S. military policy would be followed.

What Government officials would be investigating? It would have to be civilians from the State government, because no military personnel are going to get in the middle of things that are not in compliance with DoD policy either new or old. Investigating someone who wanted to join was not allowed in the old DADT policy so his plan of reverting back to the policy that was in place before wouldn't work.

Don't worry too much about this bill. It probably won't even make it out of committee.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

If they hate homosexuals so much, you'd think they would want as many IN the military as possible.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Wasting money and resources on attempts to discriminate against one group or another has really gotten old. It seems like just another ass backwards publicity stunt to pander to weird old people.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

Dude, I was born and raised in Oklahoma and have lived here for 27 years. Nothing surprises me anymore.

This is the same state that had a jackass State Senator propose a bill to ban fetuses being included in food -- like that exists in reality.

This is the same state that tried to ban Sharia law -- you know, a state with a 0.8% Muslim population.

This is the same state that wants women to listen to a heartbeat and look at an ultrasound before granting an abortion.

It is no surprise that most of these have been challenged and/or struck down.

Don't expect this to go far. Do expect, however, for this state to keep pursuing fringe ideas that are obnoxious, hateful, and repressive.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This guy is probably in the closet.

I don't understand why anyone cares about this stuff anymore, if you want to stick you penis inside a man that should be your own business.

11. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It's all about getting control of the world you live in. The farther away real life is from your own views, the more outrageous your views and actions are. There should be a national ban on any bills containing discriminatory demands, and on top of that, any political rally should be publicly funded only, no exceptions.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

-Sgt. Emil Foley

Seriously, the state that wanted to ban Sharia law wants to keep throwing up noxious legislation based on a warped view of "morality" taught in a bible?

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sir, I doubt you realize that being a Publican is an honoured profession in England and Australia.

Retract that contraction immediately!!!

:p

14. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Done. Edited my post.

:p

Dale

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

WTF??????:confused:

16. elistan, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

elistan macrumors 6502a

Supposedly, one of the grandfathered lines of stem cells (from the '70s, I think?) has been used by a company to produce an automated method of testing new compounds for their sweetness without needing a person to actually put the compound on their tongue. (I have no clue about the particulars, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like cells that mimic the sweet-oriented taste buds and change colors based on the level of sweetness. Those colors would then be calibrated by actual people, giving the company the ability to perform thousands of automated tests automatically.) The bill in OK doesn't just ban foods that contain aborted fetuses, but also foods that have used aborted fetuses in their development/testing. So per the Senators logic, 1970's stem cell line is equal to aborted fetuses, and any food developed using said stemm cell line for testing should be banned.

Basically, he's looking to ban a particular use of stem cells.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This is just getting ridiculous. These citizens volunteer with the chance (even if slight) to become injured or lose their lives but they are expected to hide who they are?

I think we need a third party to stick these extremists in because it's embarrassing to those Rep. that aren't wackos.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, not only is this severely twisted logic on his part (what else should I expect?), but it is all based on a rumor anyway?

Oy vey.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Just one more example of discrimination hiding behind a "state's rights" argument. This is a very old tactic that just won't die.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The bottom line is that no matter what, they want to see us denied equal rights. The don't care ho it happens, just that it happens.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Fortunately, it's mostly the over 60 crowd that believes this and while they vote more than 20 year olds, their mortality rate is much, much higher. It's simply a matter of attrition.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'd go further and say that society's opinions change due more to mortality than any other factor.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Evolution in action.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Amen Brother. Evolve, or die.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. Which is why I do not get why some in the GOP cling to the sinking lifeboat of anti-gay rhetoric and policies. The math is not with them. It makes no sense at all. It just makes them look more out of step and out of touch. And that isn't an election winning strategy.