Oklahoma State Representative on anti-gay rant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That was a very moving video. There's nothing more to really say. It's just a diatribe of paranoid, religious insanity. Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sally Kern

Member, Olivet Baptist Church
    Member, Heart and Hand, non-profit ministry organization
    Member, Eagle Forum

Charming bunch of people. We support the constitution, they say. Establishment clause in the First Amendment? But we won't talk about that.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's more common than you think. See the links I posted in the California gay marriage thread. The comments there are nothing less than frightening.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Oh cool, she is from Arkansas. Representing the home state :p.

I don't have sound where I'm at so I'll have to check out this video when I get home. We have a lot of homophobic people down here in Arkansas, but what else can you expect, it's the south.

jon

6. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else thought about just picking up and moving to New Zealand or something? I hear you can still stretch the dollar pretty far there.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

"I'm not __________, but __________."

Fill the blanks! It works with racism, homosexuality... Hours of fun! :p

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A great quote from Voltaire.

New Zealand is a wonderful place, but I'm not going to move there because of some nut-case from Oklahoma.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, she isn't the only one as I pointed out earlier. I feel those voices are going to get very shrill around election time. Once again, we'll be made the scapegoats ands accused of everything from child molestation to wanting to turn the whole world gay. You think I'm kidding? Just watch.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Interesting how she says any society that treats gays as equals breaks down within a few decades. If I read it correctly, the Roman Empire was doing just fine until they started becoming Christians :D

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you think what she said is bad, just wait until you read some of these comments

12. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The sobering thing is that her statements aren't extreme or even atypical for Oklahoma, or more generally bible belt, politicians. Republican US Senator Tom Coburn from OK wants abortion doctors executed.

Having grown up there, believe me when I say I know the maniacal brands of Jesus-freakery that OK specializes in. A distressingly large portion of the populace believe that the Harry Potter series are a diabolical attempt by J.K. Rowling to foist Satanism upon unsuspecting children. It's the only state where Pentecostals hang out in Methodist parking lots and tell the congregants they're going to burn in hell.

13. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. I just love this one :D

A-hahahahah!!! That's just brilliant :D:D:D

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Heh... what utter cretins for failing to see the similarities in fundamentalism the world over. S'pose that makes me a liberal elitist, oh damn. Guess I'll get over it.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I know she isn't the only one, and that you're not kidding. You are also right that we get to hear more of this nuttiness around election time, which is the time when playing on emotions and fears becomes especially popular. I'm not discounting any of this for a moment, just stating that I'm not prepared to bolt the country because some people living here are out of their minds. Good luck finding a place on the globe where that's not the case!

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

For nearly a picosecond there, I felt glad to live in the UK...

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'd be embarrassed if I was from Oklahoma. I can't believe people would actually vote for someone who says that. That's completely against the principles of this country. We're supposed to be the "land of liberty" where everyone is welcome and accepted. So much for that.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Oklahoma consistently ranks at the bottom of almost all educational surveys. From all the comments on that site, it's clear to see why.

There were a few brave souls who stood up, but for the most part the comments were from religious fundamentalists who would be much happier in a theocracy like Saudi Arabia.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As I've mentioned, I work in a public access TV studio, and we have a guy who does a show who sounds exactly like this.

Oddly, he's a pleasant enough fellow in person. But his mind is all darkness and hatred inside, fueled by what he believes God is telling him.

And I can tell you that, in a way, yes, he's crazy. He goes on about how he led a life of hard drugs and alcohol until he "found Jesus". He didn't really find Jesus -- he found a new addiction.

I can tell you folks from experience that when you have a mental problem, like depression, it warps your view of the world. I was that way, and I was angry with a number of people over some pretty stupid things. (I'm much better now, thank you. :D )

But that is exactly what is happening with people who are addicted to religion. They are not "right"; they are filled with anger, and they are looking for places to put that anger.

This woman sure as hell doesn't belong in political office. She belongs in therapy.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How these people get elected should be a concern to all of us. Its clear her years of right wing brain washing by false christians has led to her mental laps on who is the real threat and who isnt. These false christians are the same idiots who elected George Bush Jr who started a false war,trampled our Constitution and thinks torture is OK. Its time to start cleaning up the churches if this is the best they can offer.

21. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Not anymore.

I agree, but yeah, it's also sad she not only feel this kind of language is acceptable coming from someone in her position, but that it actually gains her support. :(

What, no one coming in here to tell us how she's right and we're all trying to squelch her 1st Amendment rights, with no trace of irony? :rolleyes:

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, what she said was completely indefensible. Sadly, as I said before, we're going to see a lot more of this in the near future. The good thing is- I think it will be soundly rejected by the majority. I get the feeling most people are tired of this crap.

23. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Especially the extreme stuff. There are worse things going on, and it's becoming less of an easy scapegoat. And considering how much people are disliking pretty much everything else these people stand for and are doing, I wouldn't be surprised to see a backlash against this along with it as well.

24. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Reading those comments is just terribly depressing.

I look forward to the day when this type of hate/idiocy is just a sad memory, like the opposition to the civil rights movement.

25. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs