Olbermann Fired, Replaced with Former NY Gov. Spitzer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Mar 30, 2012.

1. 184550 Guest

Breaking News email from POLITICO.

I'll be interested in hearing why.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Damn, that blowhard can't play well with anyone. He must have really pissed them off.

NYT

3. 184550 thread starter Guest

Must have pissed someone off pretty bad if CURRENT isn't even going to let him sign off.

4. citizenzen Suspended

Didn't watch him. Don't care.

But it is a nice change of pace to give the righties something to talk about around here.

Enjoy.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

This is good. That guy comes across as the most smug, jerkoff I've ever seen.

6. citizenzen Suspended

Have you ever watched Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity?

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah, and while I dislike them and Fox news, there is just something about O-man that gets in my nerves.

Generally though I just avoid the news. Too much left/right wing bias.

8. citizenzen Suspended

No ****.

I watched something on MSNBC the other night that just made my jaw drop.

It was so editorialized and heavy-handed that it stunned me.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Ya know. Since all this primary crap has been going on on every network I finally got sick of it. I stopped watching the cable news shows about a week ago and I don't miss it at all.

It has helped me reduce my blood pressure.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So where does he go now? If Current doesn't want him who would now? ESPN doesn't want him back, I doubt he goes to Fox.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wal*Mart greeter?

"Get your ****, and get out!!!"

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Was it Ed?

13. citizenzen Suspended

I think it was Lawrence O'Donnell interviewing somebody about the Trayvon Martin shooting.

It's nothing that FAUX News hasn't done time and time again.

But I was sorry to see it nonetheless.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It boils down to news literacy... Every news viewer/listener/reader needs to learn to distinguish news from opinion. Some shows are news shows, others are largely political commentary (opinion), and some shows offer a mix of both. This is nothing new. American newspapers have been printing opinion and editorial pieces in their (so-called) newspapers since the beginning.

I suppose some could argue that in the 21st century we should have some sort of system in place that provides a "content label" that pops up on the bottom center of the screen below each talking head on a given TV show. Maybe that would help news consumers better distinguish between news and opinion, news and propaganda, bias and fairness, assertion and verification, evidence and inference, and so on. But personally, I think it'd be ridiculous...

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who did you dislike the most? My favorite most straightforward presenter is Rachel Maddow. My least favorite is Politics Nation with Al Sharpton just because he's not a good speaker imo.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think I'd agree with that.

As far as Keith goes, I'm done defending him. I liked a lot of the material he presented, but there were times when he got too pompous for his own good. The ironic thing is, I'd caught him a few times over the past couple of months, and I thought he'd actually toned that down a little.

This was all about behind-the-scenes stuff. Mostly about his desire to be lead (or sole) anchor on primary nights. It was a temper tantrum on his part, and he paid the price. That's the part that's impossible to defend. This guy can't get along with anybody.

Not that Current always did right by him. That "limbo set" was just ridiculous. It was that way for months, and if Keith wanted to scream about something, it should've been that. Hope Eliot Spitzer is going to be given a set that uses actual, real electricity.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Rachael Maddow is the closest the left has to a star of the prominence of Limbaugh, but her presentation appeals to people who like subtlety and complexity in their information, as opposed to trying to reach for the gut.

I have the hots for Melissa Harris-Perry, though, and have for years.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good night and good luck, Keith. Enjoy the rest of your life as a nobody, give my regards to Rachel Maddow.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, the NPR approach is real news. I can't stand the in your face style of Oberman/Limbaugh/Hannity, etc. That confrontational, rapid-fire delivery doesn't work well with subtitles and if it doesn't work well with subtitles then it's simply not worth listening to.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's burned so many bridges, he'll likely have to go the Glenn Beck way and become an Internet based blowhard.

21. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Here's the problem for Olbermann: he has a lot of trouble dealing with fellow employees or management. Ask anyone who has dealt with him at ESPN or MSNBC how he got into a lot of (often) public spats with other staffers or upper management. It appears that Olbermann got into spat with upper management at Current TV and that's why he was let go....

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd go as far as saying her presentations drip with facts, giving it an air of authenticity, mixed in with opinion, mostly opinions and perspectives I am sympathetic to.

What I take issue with the conservative posts who claim that liberal pundits use the same level of religiosity as conservatives. I disagree. Liberals have their agenda, but like it or not it is clearly stated. This versus out right deception, feeling the need to drape neocon ultra-right views with divisive positions bordering on racism, patriotism and the blessing of God for being conservative. Lyeng is deeply ingrained into today's crop of GOP politicians. One easy example, Romney's ad taking Obama's "talking about the economy is a loosing issue" statement out of context. It's contemptible, unless you believe the end justifies the means. The GOP motto: We'll sell our souls to win an election.

How many middle/lower class conservatives actually believe "your problem is yours to deal with"; "my problem is mine to deal with" and we all stand alone versus being interconnected within society? And what do you do when your cancer bill comes in at $100k plus? Is the conservative answer really to ante up or just go home and die?

23. citizenzen Suspended

Maddow will often spend 15 minutes to make one point.

Love that.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I really didn't warm to Spitzer in the short-lived Parker Spitzer show on CNN, its something about his presence and presentation that grates on me. Let's hope he lasts longer in this engagement, I'm sure he'll find his niche one day. That said, there are plenty of talking heads around now, do we really need another?

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His niche is screwing around, not television personality.