Olbermann Suspended Indefinitely Without Pay (Fired?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Nov 5, 2010.

1. fivepoint, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010

fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Obviously I don't agree with the guy very much... but this is stupid. Obviously he's a liberal, obviously he supports the Democrat party. They don't even have a rule against contributions, just that you have to inform 'the bosses' first. He may have broken the rule, but that's a pretty lame excuse. NBC must have been looking for another reason to fire him?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/keith-olbermann-suspended_n_779586.html

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

He wasn't fired, he was suspended. Yet another misleading title by fivepoint. :rolleyes:

3. Rt&Dzine, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I've never watched him so this doesn't affect me personally. Doesn't seem like a big deal but I guess he broke the rules. Unless they overlook other employees who have done the same.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Whoa! I never really liked Olbermann but it seems a little much. Unless NBC thinks its a conflict of interest of him anchoring election coverage and donating to campaigns.

Didn't he get in trouble about year ago with NBC? Strike two for Edward R. Olbermann.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

"Rally to Restore Sanity" claims it's first victim.

Anyone for Hannity? Maddow? O'Reilly?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Add Limbaugh and Beck and I'm all for it.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Keith Olbermann SUSPENDED From MSNBC Indefinitely Without Pay = Fired

Look at the HuffPo article.

Maybe he'll put himself on the "worst person" list this time. lol

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't get it. News people can't contribute privately to political causes or parties?

Are we going to require financial disclosures now?

This sounds nuts. :confused:

9. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I see what you did there.

How about this?

Keith Olbermann SUSPENDED From MSNBC Indefinitely Without Pay

Being suspended, and suspended indefinitely without pay does not mean you are fired. It means you are suspended until your supervisor deems you fit to return to work... which coincidentally, again, means you are not fired. It could mean that your supervisor deems that you may never return to work, in which case you would then be fired... but how you can conclude indefinite suspensions is equal to firing is an extrapolation not supported by fact.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Serves that blowhard right. He slammed FOX over their contributions to the Re[publicans. ****ing hypocrite.

11. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I could care less. I stopped paying attention to all blowhards of all political stripes a long time ago.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Was it the Fox Network or the individual employees? There is a difference( to me at least).

I don't like him as much as I don't like Beck, Hannity, etc. But, lets not burn him at the stake without clarification.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL Only time will tell then. I know better than to mess wit da jesus..

Speaking of Jesus, I pray to god Keith is picked up by Fox News. Newsgasm.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Have you seen the way he ends his show on Friday nights? Reason enough....

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

News Corp is a corporation that directly sets the content and spin of its news outlets; donated two million dollars to two republican reelection organizations that happen to advertise in the media outlets owned by the corporation; and, whose news outlets directly advocate for the election of candidates that support policies that directly benefit the corporation and its owner.

Keith Olberman is an individual who made legal and disclosed donations to three candidates in districts where he is not a resident and would not benefit personally through their elections; the donations are allowed by his employer; and the ONLY problem is that the donations did not comply with the standards and practices requiring prior disclosure and approval.

That is a pretty good example of a false equivelancy.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's a big difference. If I found out Sean Hannity gave to the Republican party I'd say, "No ***** Sherlock!"

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

you can say it

Attached Files:

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So let me get this straight. If you work for new corp you have to get permission to donate money to a political campaign.

Isn't that just another way companies can get around donation limits of its employees or control donations. If the companies higher ups do not like a candiated they can cut money off from the guy by not allowing their employees to donate money to them?

I do not like this in a lot of ways. Corporation already abuse the hell out of political denotation.

Add in the fact that the Democrats invited the dummy companies that can run political ads with no over site. Then the GOP perfected... This is a mess.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

No, I don't think that is the reason. I'm sure if they said you can't donate to this guy, but you can to this one, we'd have heard about lawsuits by now. I think its a way to try and keep journalists impartial. I believe that CNBC doesn't allow employees who report on stocks to buy stocks themselves outside of their 401K plans so they can't lie and say one company is great just to pump up the stocks they already own.

20. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-leekohler

Yes please. All of these folks amplify what they want, and spew fear.

I personally am tired of it. Many of our threads here were caused by this effect. How much emotion has been expended as a result of that?

Ergo why I don't visit often ;)

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Olberman impartial? I doubt anyone, even he, would harbour that delusion.
    Oh now, come on, that was one of the best parts. A chance to set aside all the week's BS and see if we can find useful lessons in eighty-year-old tales.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From the Huffpo link:

Some of these I understand, some I don't. Banning Markos Moulitsas?

Aww, the Foxoids will be so disappointed.

Might wanna change that thread title, though.

23. Lord Blackadder, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't care much for these talking heads either way, regardless of political leanings. They are all trying to influence politics, that should be blatantly obvious. I'd prefer the networks fire them all at once. Too bad Fox News doesn't take a similarly hard line.

Anyway, why do you call it the "Democrat" Party? Or are you doing a Strom Thurmond impression?

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I think 5p's personality is more like Jesse Helms, except further to the right.

25. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You may have been joking, but if you think about it, that would be a brilliant move for Murdoch. I mean seriously. It would be interesting to see if Olbermann accepted such an offer.