Old Airport Express trouble in Mavericks and iOS AirPlay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by the7th1, Jun 26, 2014.

1. the7th1 macrumors member

I have searched this forum for answers regarding the old AirPort Express devices. Apple has stopped support with the release of Mavericks but I have found several solutions by searching the internet. So far so good! It has worked well for me for a while now.

But now my AirPlay solution - which I use all the time - is starting to fall out. Almost constantly. It happens mostly when using iTunes and selecting AirPlay to my AirPort device (which is connected to external speakers). I rarely had this issue previously and only in Mavericks. Running a test with a few iOS devices seems to establish the fact that this works a little better... But not flawlessly...

Anyone with experience in this? I did already reboot everything. Somehow I suspect that the old AirPort Express device is dying on me... Or?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is possible that it is dying since it is at the very least, six years old or more. Try a factory reset...

3. eduardrw macrumors 6502

I use the "old" AE without problems. My Airplay works great from 4 different OS X Maverick computers (2 MBA via WIFI + 2 iMac's via ethernet).

However I connect the old AE via ethernet! Best way to do it.

If you connect via WIFI you might want to check the WIFI band for competing signals on the channels your WIFI uses and then use other channels.
    iStumbler isa free app to check.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have had an older Airport Express for quite awhile and have an occasional interruption in iTunes with Mavericks. Are you up to date on the Express firmware and Airport Utility? I imagine that Apple will have a lot of new hardware in the next couple of months, I will probably add a new Airport Express and use my current hardware to extend my network.