Old Body Great Lens vs. New Body OK Lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by habubauza, Feb 20, 2011.

1. habubauza, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

I have a dilemma and was curious to hear what others think. I found myself with 2 cameras, different systems and different lenses. I need to choose one and get rid of the other as I have decided to invest into one system only.

Camera 1.

D7000 with 18-105 kit, plus 35mm f/1.8G dx lens. Needless to say that this camera is a phenomenal system. Fast and accurate autofocus, excellent video quality, etc. You're all familiar with the specs by now. The only negative really is the buffer speed for burst shooting, (60D is actually more capable even with the slower burst rate) and occasional over exposure with bright light. No big deal, that's what Exposure Compensation is for. I am not thrilled with the 18-105 kit lens. If I stay with the D7000, the kit lens will be sold and I will purchase the 17-55 f/2.8G.
    The D7000 has very clean images at high ISO's.
    Camera 2.

Canon 40D with EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM

The 40D isn't as advanced as the D7000 but it is a tried and true camera. It takes great photos, not the best autofocus system, but very adequate, and it doesn't take video. The EFS 17-55 f/2.8 is arguably the best piece of glass you can put on a cropped sensor DSLR. The fact that I own one really makes my decision a difficult one. Canon has a better and more affordable line-up of quality lenses that Nikon.

Other factors include the fact that I have Photoshop CS4 and it doesn't work with the D7000 unless I first convert to .dng format. Thats a pain in the butt, but not a deal breaker. 40D is old enough that everything works with it. So, I am not sure. I have Aperture, and it works with both systems, but image quality is important for me, so working with Photoshop and some of the proprietary software is also a factor.

The bottom line is I have to get rid of one. I would definitely appreciate other opinions. Pros and cons of both. I love both cameras. The D7000 is amazing, but the EFS 17-55 lens is awesome to shoot with.

Thanks for your input.

2. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

There's a thousand different answers to that question and you'll probably get most of them. ;)

I'm biased so I'll give you my biased response. Keep the D7000 and the 35mm. Sell everything else and buy a 17-55 f2.8 DX. Then start using Aperture for most of your post processing needs.

I prefer Nikon over Canon and staying out of Photoshop as much as possible. That's why my answer is biased. BTW, what's the problem with the D7000 and CS4? Is it the RAW image. My D90 shots go into Aperture first and then if I have to go to Photoshop I export from there as a tiff which works fine of course.

Best of luck deciding. :)

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Sounds like you'll be buying the Nikon 17-55f2.8 with the proceeds of the Canon sale, so you'll have the better body AND the great lens (I'm assuming Nikon's lens is no worse than Canon's).

If you care about image quality, you should upgrade to Photoshop CS5 or Lightroom 3 - the RAW conversion is a lot better.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd sell everything apart from the Canon lens and buy a better Canon body, either a 60D or 7D. But I prefer the handling on Canon cameras to Nikon.

5. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

CS4 doesn't support 6.3 Camera Raw plugin which is what the D7000 requires. Not a big deal, but converting to .dng is a little hassle. I may look more into the Aperture/export to Photoshop as a .tiff file route.

Some have suggested upgrading to CS5 or LR3 since image quality is a concern. Their points are valid, I just wanted to see if it's possible to use what I already have.

6. compuwar, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011

compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Load RPP and use that to convert the raw files to TIFF.

It's free, or you can pay a whopping $20 to get the advanced version with a few film curves.

Paul

I prefer the opposite- perhaps the OP should just choose which works best in their hands?

Paul

The camera body will last about five years, and at that point, you're probably going to be invested enough to not want to switch manufacturers. Go with the one that you think will fulfill your needs at that point- neither is a bad choice, and you could start with the one that you prefer to shoot with all things considered- but think longer term if you can.

Paul

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes indeed. They should go and try a current-spec Canon body in their hands alongside the D7000 and choose whichever feels the best to them and that they get along with best. Either is an excellent choice so it's all down to personal preferences.

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I always advise people to go somewhere that allows them to try at least two, and preferably three bodies from each manufacturer, so they get a feel for the line- a single body is too point-in-time to gauge what the next future body they buy will be.

Paul

9. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

I appreciate all, the feedback. I'm going to see what the Canons 7D is like which is where I woul go if the 40D ever takes a dump.

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Interesting situation and not what I was expecting when I saw the title of the thread. If hadn't read anything more than the title, my advice would have been to favor the better lens over the newer camera body. But the D7000 versus the 40D is a pretty uneven comparison. The D7000 wins that one by a significant margin, especially if you're doing a lot of low-light work and want to output sizable prints. It's also better if you need to shoot sports or wildlife.

So I suppose I should be the one to ask you the obvious question. What do you shoot most?

11. habubauza, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

I shoot everything from A-Z. I also like to shoot wildlife and local sports. That is actually one of my dilemmas. Canon offers the 70-200 f4L IS USM, but there is no Nikon equivalent to that lens. As a matter of fact, apart from Nikons super expensive 70-200 f2.8 VR II lens, Nikons high power zooms are pretty limited. I'm actually surprised that all they can come up with lately is an AF-S DX 55-300 f4.5-5.6 VR II lens. Really Nikon? Canon at least has a lens lineup that would more adequately cover a wider spectrum of shooting situations. Nikon develops some pretty incredible camera body hardware, but I don't understand why they seem so anemic when it comes to developing a wider selection of lenses. I must be missing something.

12. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

^ ^
    If you think you'll need some of these lengths, maybe you've answered your own question? If you like the feel of the 7D when you've tried it, how about keeping the EF-S 17-55, selling everything else and getting the 7D? It can cope with wildlife and sports too.

Just to let you know, I have a Canon, but I would have said the above anyway!

13. TheReef, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I'd probably do as Ish mentioned and sell everything except the 17-55 f/2.8 and get the 7D if you find you like it.
    The 40D is a very capable camera for the most part, only you can decide if it's limitations are significant enough to you for you to sell it.

The 70-200mm f/4.0 is a really nice lens to use with great IQ and you'd get to keep the 17-55 f/2.8.

14. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Actually, the 70-300 VR lens has gotten great reviews and it works VERY VERY nicely... Great IQ and VERY little money.. yes not very fast, but neither is the 70-200 f4 :)

you win some , you loose some.

15. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

It definitely makes sense to be only running one system unless you want to be throwing money at your set-up. I would choose by which you are most comfortable using. You talk about the video aspect but it doesn't sound like you really use it. If so I would ignore it.

Take some shots with each camera/lens and take a look at them, print them out if you want. They are likely to be much the same. If they are different take your pick but otherwise go with what you feel happiest using.

16. AML225 macrumors regular

I'd keep the D7000 and the 35/1.8, sell EVERYTHING else, skip the 17-55/2.8. Do you really need the 35/1.8 AND the 17-55/2.8? Do you need the wide end that much? If not get the 70-200/2.8 (get the VRI not the VRII) if so get that and the 70-300.

17. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

Thanks for all your input. Yes, I want good glass on my camera and the best image quality I can afford. The 17-55 f2.8 is going to be my all purpose walk around lens, and this is the first time I am investing into this type of glass. I also enjoy shooting video with the D7000, but not having video is not a deal breaker. I'll definitely let you guys know what I end up doing

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

With the nikon you can use old manual focus glass from the 70's/80's. I have a Nikkor 28mm f/2 ai, 50mm f/1.4 ais, 135mm f/2.8 ai, Sigma 70-150 f/3.5 that I use all the time with my Nikon D50.

I really like the compactness of the 135. Sure who wouldn't want the very cool 70-200/2.8 but I can't see me getting one anytime (price and weight are a factor) in the next few years. I could use something wider and am looking at a Tamron 17-50/2.8.

If you were asking about one brand of camera (canon or nikon not both) I would say stick with the older camera and get newer glass. If you know what I mean.

19. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

If I had the choice, I'd have two systems.

Canon - For wildlife, sports, outside stuff, they have a much wider lens selection, at varying price points for varying budgets. From lens 70mm on up, it would be Canon.

Nikon - For weddings, low light, flash photography, portraits. Eventhough Canon isn't far behind, Nikons seem to have a slight advantage in controlling noise while keeping details, although Pentax may be the leader here.

20. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

In terms of lenses serious sports and wildlife shooters use, with the advent of the new Canon 200-400, the lines are pretty-much identical other than the 400/5.6 prime that Canon has, but most will opt for a 300/2.8 instead. Plus the new Nikon TC-20E-III actually makes a 2.0x TC usable for publication- it's actually sharper than my 1.7x TC (which Canon doesn't offer- pretty-much evening things out.)

Paul

21. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

Thanks for all the replies. You guys have been a great help. I've decided to go Canon, mostly for the lenses. I picked up a 7D today and so far I'm very happy with it. Thanks again!

22. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Congratulations on the 7D! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

I like it when people feed back and tell us what they've done. :)

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Enjoy the 7D: it's a fantastic piece of kit :D

24. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Good for you habubauza ;)

I played with the 7D for a while and its an awesome camera. Tops of the crop for sure.

25. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Congrats on the 7D habubauza!

Pun intended? :D :p