Old exposé is back! :D

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Hessel, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Hessel, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012

Hessel macrumors member

just found out they've added a checkbox to activate old exposé or new exposé (mission control)

go to System Preferences --> Mission Control --> uncheck ''Group windows by application''

et voila! got your old exposé back!

(I personally still dig Mission Control more, but it'a great that they've made it an option now)

[​IMG]

2. Killa Aaron macrumors regular

Killa Aaron

Old news, you're weeks; correction a month late since it's July 1st.

3. Hessel thread starter macrumors member

ah okay didn't know that so I thought I'd share it ;)

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I missed the first report, so thanks for the info.

5. antoniogra7 macrumors member

Looks more like Leopard's exposé than Snow Leopard's, why?

6. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Yeah, at least something dude, I can't stand Lion anymore :(

7. TennisandMusic, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

TennisandMusic

Maybe because Leopard's was more functional, and many people have the feeling that it was changed to make a nicer looking demo (forced by someone no longer with the company), and not for any practical purposes...

Bringing it back is a huge improvement.

8. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Funny thing, I tried to use the old exposé instead of Mission Control, and know I can't stand old exposé :eek:

I had to turn it off

9. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Now they just need to bring the old spaces back. :D

10. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

I get this feeling throughout Mountain Lion. I don't know if you meant Bertrand Serlet or Steve Jobs or someone else, but I do get the sense with the company in general that a lot of the changes (especially to OS X) over the last few years were done against the wishes of many of the people working there and that they are gradually rolling some of it back a bit.

11. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Well, Im getting used to MS, but it takes some time :( What I really cant stand is bad support of multiple displays in Lion.

12. TennisandMusic

I meant Steve Jobs.

I am positive there are people within Apple who are not happy with where OS X and Macs are being taken...

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Don't know where you get that feeling from? They aren't rolling anything back either, are they? Just giving people extra choices. (FWIW, I much prefer Mission Control to the old Expose)...

14. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

thank god, i freakin hate mission control.

and i'm out of the loop here but are they going to do anything about that full screen nonsense in Lion?

15. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

I see they also insist on still shrinking the desktop. WHAT PURPOSE DOES THIS AT ALL SERVE TO US???!!

16. Rychy macrumors 6502

That would make me very happy. I miss my old workflow.

17. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

does it look exactly like Leopard's exposé when you check that box, ie do the windows get different sizes and become bright blue when selected? Is the desktop kept unzoomed unlike Lion? (assuming you have only one virtual desktop)

18. 3282868 macrumors 603

Done:

TotalSpaces

Developer Steven Sykes worked on "ReSpaceApp" and it was such a hit during development the owners of "TotalFinder", BinaryAge, bought it from him. He's still developing it, it's about done, so it's free as a beta and will be $12 once done. I have been using it on Lion and Mountain Lion for months, it's runs perfectly. Steven responds to emails immediately and is extremely hard working and an all around great guy. I give him credit as this app is just about exactly like "Spaces" in 10.5/6.

- Assign apps to desktops in preferences
    - Multiple display support
    - hot corners/keys
    - Transitions
    - Menubar icon to display current desktop as before
    - Multi-gesture trackpad support

and more

Attached Files:

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I personally think Lion is a major improvement and constantly get annoyed when I go to work and they are using Snow Leopard!

20. 3282868 macrumors 603

I never noticed it but yes, it is exactly as such. open windows maintain their size ratios (of course smaller) and are highlighted blue when hovered on. However, everything else in "Lion"'s "Mission Control" is the same as "Mountain Lion". The desktop falls back, other desktops remain on top. I don't mind so much, I got used to the GUI "eye candy", even when it serves no other purpose other than consumer "WOW" factor.

----------

I can vouch for that fact as I know a few in Cupertino who are frustrated with Apple's R&D focus on iOS and consumer products. A lot of people claim it's what is making Apple the most money, which is what I thought as well. However, the RoI in [whatever is left] their professional departments (Pro-Apps, Mac Pro's, etc) is higher than I believed. Apple simply wants to focus on iOS and the consumer/mobile market. Shame, I loved the PowerMac's and CCFL LCD's that once garnered Apple much praise from professional photographers, designers, etc.

21. 617arg macrumors 6502

wow. very happy about getting this functionality back.

22. dyn macrumors 68030

Because they really haven't changed it that much. All they did in Mission Control was group by application. This setting was fixed, the user couldn't choose. In ML it now is a checkbox so the user can choose whether to group or not. Since this bugged the hell out of most users all will be well when ML comes out :)

I'd have liked some auto-grouping thing: when you have lots and lots of windows it seems more useful to group per app so you can find a certain window more quickly since the windows are at a readable size. If you don't have that many windows (which for most will be the case 99% of the time) it shouldn't do the grouping because else it would be more difficult to quickly find the correct window. This is more like the good old "if there is room, use it!" way of doing things. Makes more sense to me. Since most of us (including me) will have enough windows to not group I'm fine with being able to opt out of the grouping per app though.

No, I believe the grid layout is a bit different. From what I've seen it looks like a combination of Tiger and Leopard's way of doing it. Seems like a good compromise between people who want the Tiger one and people who love the Leopard one (or Lion one).

Anyway, I think this is a good and wise move from Apple.