Old iBook HD crashed. All Data Still on iPhone. How Do I Merge to New MBP?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacintoshMan, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

Finally the old iBook crashed, decided to go big or go home since the old thing lasted me so long. All my contacts, pictures, music are on my iPhone 3GS.

How do I merge them from the iPhone to the new MBP? It seems to me that you can only sync it with the new computer and lose all of your data.

I know there is surely a quick answer, thanks for the help.

Cheers,
    MacMan

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I know there is a program called sentui that lets you move songs backward. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better answer. Good luck!

3. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

It's Senuti actually

I'm working off memory here, from about a year ago when I was able to transfer everything from my cousin's iPhone back to her computer. Senuti worked better than expected, and I was able to move everything, movies and all, over to the new computer. When I first ran it (I had only previously used it with my old iPod), I wasn't sure it would even work with the iPhone. Make sure you transfer everything over in iTunes first. After that it should be simple. From memory, I am pretty sure iTunes will pop up an option after plugging it in to sync everything on the iPhone over to the new computer, merge is what it's called. Let me know how it works for you.

How old was the iBook? I gave my parents my old powerbook and it is still running strong after 7 years next month (with near constant use for 6 years by me).

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

First, hook up your iPhone to iTunes. Make sure autosync is off.

Right click on your iPhone in the left pane and choose transfer purchases. This will get all your apps on the computer.

Now right click on the iPhone and choose backup iPhone (this will have all your game saves, app settings, contacts (but you're also going to sync those in the next step), notes, etc, but not pics from your old computer, songs, videos, etc....all the stuff after ringtones in the middle pane under summary).

Go to the middle pane and choose all the programs you need to sync (but not the stuff after the ringtones). Sync.

Use Senuti (costs) or expod (free) to transfer music, video, and other media. Use Image Capture to get camera roll pics transferred (although they are in the backup). Phoneview is another program to consider. If you’re jailbroke, you can do much more easily, but I assume you’re not.

FYI, to be safe, use Funambol (free) to sync your contacts online. That way if anything goes wrong, you still have them somewhere.

5. MacintoshMan thread starter macrumors regular

Amazing thank you, I've successfully recovered most of my DATA.

But I am still missing my contacts in my computer, I selected sync contacts, it asked me if I wanted to replace them with the ones from the computer, which is no bueno, or if I wanted to merge (which sounded the best). Selected merge, and all it did was transfer the one new contact I had from my computer onto the iPhone but didn't transfer my old contacts onto the computer.

The only option that I get now is under Advanced. Where it has a check box for replacing contacts which is what I don't want to do.

Cheers,
    MacMan