Old Magsafe charger + Magsafe 2 converter safe to use on 2012 MBA 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Highlander-, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Highlander- macrumors member

Hi... question in the title.

I have an old Magsafe charger from 2009 which was used for a Macbook and Macbook Pro. I bought the Magsafe 2 converter to use this old charger... does this mean I can safely use this as a spare charger for my 2012 MBA 11 inch?

I believe the MBA's standard charger is a lower voltage due to the smaler battery so just wondering if this will be okay. I am confused if the "converter" is to convert current too or just convert charger format to the new size.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Highlander- thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. So the answer is a resounding "yes", woot.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, you can use your older charger with the MagSafe2 adapter on your new MacBook Air. :)

The voltage output from the various MagSafe chargers is the same, however the larger ones can supply more current which is required by the larger, more powerful computers. Your computer will only consume the current it needs, and the excess available in the charger design will in no way harm anything.

The reverse is not true ... using a MacBook Pro which requires a 85w charger on a smaller 65w charger designed for a Macbook or Air will overload the charger under some circumstances. It will probably work fine for just charging, if the computer is off throughout the charge cycle.

-howard