Old man guns down thugs:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Jul 18, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

A great victory for advocates of concealed carry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpv6dJZhg0U

Basically, some punk kids try to rob an internet cafe, old man whips out his gun and sends them packing.

Link

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That seems like something of an overstatement.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I disagree, of course, but it's a matter of opinion. I think that this man successfully concealing and carrying a weapon, an old man at that, and using it to fend off violent thugs and potentially saving lives is a great victory since it demonstrates how well concealed carry (and firearms in general) can do good, despite negative press.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Concealed carry.. works!

(At killing people)

5. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

How many of those murders were committed by law abiding citizens with concealed carry permits again?

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

no guns no problem, that's how I see it anyway.

7. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well in a no-gun situation, the same thing happens but the old man doesn't beat the criminals, and instead things are stolen and/or people are hurt.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Never going to happen, at least not there, so arm everyone, and let them sort it all out.

This puts me in mind of a movie, where two guy walk into a bar, to hold everyone up.

They wind-up facing about 30 guns.

It's a cop bar.

:D

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Like I always tell some conservatives- that's not reality.

11. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

12. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

13. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

How many stabbings a night are there in london? (hint: a lot) Stabbings are just as dangerous as handgun bullets.) The problem is that people are just too good at figuring out ways to hurt each other, so given the choice I would rather have a gun and be able to defend myself.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I'm still confused as to what you're relating this to. The US has a lot of gun deaths. Criminals commit crimes. What does this have to do with concealed carry? :confused:

16. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Think of it this way: knife vs. Handgun, who wins? (hint handgun)

----------

If the criminals have guns then the old guy feels the need for a gun, but if they didn't have guns/couldn't have guns he wouldn't need one.

high death rate = unsafe

So if you have more guns its more dangerous.

Concealed carry is a way of saying: Lets have more guns. I'm saying I don't think this is a good idea. I don't mind what you think.

I hope that explains how I see it as related.

----------

I agree, I think I misunderstood you.

However concealed carry is just a way of increasing the number of guns - I can't see that being good, but maybe that's just me.

----------

Have a nice long think and if you still can't explain why that isn't a good idea i'll help you when tomorrow after I get up.

This is the worst pro gun argument and I see it all the time, take some time and think it through.

NOTE: Carrying a knife is also illegal in some cases.

17. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

If this is a victory, is every armed robbery a defeat?

18. .Andy, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I was lucky I was born in a country where I don't feel compelled by fear to secret a firearm on my person. I just walked down to the pool for a swim with my towel and goggles.

19. NickZac, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Yeah, let's ban all the legal guns because I am sure criminals will turn every illegal gun they own in. And I am positive that when they know that no house in their neighborhood is armed, then they will probably give up home robberies all together.

edit: I didnt see the shot in the back part...not so kudos after all :(

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My problem with that story is he shot them in the back. They were running away and at that point it was over and he should not of kept shooting. Hell that was the point it cross the line into attempted murder. Before that point I fully support the old guy but when they ran he attempted murdered them. .

----------

There is a difference. Stabbing is a lot more personal and that does make it harder to stab someone. Also you have to be closer.

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I didn't watch it that far through. The shooting in the back is attempted murder, and something as such is not protected by the Castle Doctrine as he went on the offensive.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah if you watch into it you will see the guy kept firing on the thugs while they ran. Now I do not expect the DA will have the balls to press charges on him but honestly I feel they should. The guy did do attempted murder when they started running and the video shows proof of it. The thugs were running for their lives and he still shot at them.

23. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Source?

The robbers were lucky the man didn't kill them, as that was his intent. The man was still in fear for his life, and rightfully so. Clearly the was opportunity for the wounded robber to turn and fire on the man. You can't walk into a place with a gun and bat and then all of the sudden expect your marks to show leniency when things don't go as you planned.

I wouldn't agree this is a victory for anyone, though. I can't imagine either party would view the outcome as such.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

On the fence here myself. I understand that they were running away but....so? Should your rights to not getting shot end when you enter a building and hold people at gunpoint? How do we know that if he hadn't chased them and kept firing they wouldn't have fired a few back into the cafe, or hurt someone blocking their way to their car?

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You do not go running away like that and sit around waiting for someone else. Also remember the cops would of gotten their with in a few minutes so again a non issue on waiting around.

This needs to be head offed off and at the very least give the guy a good hard slap on the wrist for massively crossing the line.