Old news? Crucial 4GB kit for MB price drop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chillijam, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

Hi guys,

This is probably old news, but I've just seen that Crucial in the UK have dropped the price for a 4GB kit (2x2GB) for the MacBook to a shade over 50 GBP (actually, £52.63). Given that just before Christmas this was at around £110, I decided to take the plunge.

*update* I've just had an email that they are out of stock at the moment, but they expect them to arrive on 28th Jan.

Thanks
    Marc.

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

wow, this is great news! they were more expensive than Play.com (57 quids) last week but now they've beaten Play.com. I shall order from Crucial when the stock comes in. :) Thanks for the good news

3. Chillijam thread starter macrumors member

Chillijam

Seems they have stock again. I woke up yesterday morning (Saturday) to the sound of my friendly local postperson a-knocking on my door clutching a package from Crucial.

It's all installed now, and running as sweet as a nut.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, it's old news, but it didn't have it's own thread. I've already got mine installed in my mini :)

5. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Hmm its gone back up to £58.27 now on Crucial :(

May wait a bit longer for it to go down again

6. G4DP macrumors 65816

Prices are going to start going up for a while, due to the poor state of the US economy, if your desperate for the extra RAM it'll be worth seriously thinking about getting it now.

7. Tronix macrumors newbie

I bought mine last week, and too my surprise my ram had been delivered on Saturday. Got it installed after having a field day with my crappy screw drivers. My MacBook is so much smoother now, and everything loads up a lot quicker. Very nice upgrade for £55 including delivery :).

8. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I just upgraded my MBP to 4 GB of ram. I purchased it through OWC at macsales.com. Cost $95.00. What blows me away is that when you log on the apple website and go to the apple store to purchase memory the same amount of memory costs $1000.00 through apple. Does anyone actually buy from them????

9. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I just got 4GB of OCZ Ram for my mom's Macbook for $60 after rebate, which is a pretty good deal

10. Simon1966 macrumors regular

I ordered and my Ram arrived Tuesday - Sadly it is going back as it is causing Panic Kernals and keeps shutting my MBP down every few minutes.
    Hardware test DVD says memory is faulty!:mad:

I will return for refund i think as it seems to run fine on the standard 2GB configurment.

11. barnettgs macrumors member

Is the memory you ordered from Crucial?

12. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Or why don't you just do an RMA instead? I've had many sticks of ram that were defective and that's what the RMA process is all about. It's just a given that a certain number of sticks are going to be defective coming off the line.

13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'll bet apple sells a decent amount of the mid-level memory upgrades (where they're charging 150-200 for $100 of memory), but not the high end ones. Anyone who knows they need that memory knows that the prices are ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't won't be paying $1000 for anything. that said, I'm sure someone has done it because there's always someone who has to for ease of ordering or whatever.

14. I3eXa macrumors 6502

why you guys buying 4gb when the MacBook will only see 3.3gb??? Might as well buy a 2gb and 1gb stick n save some money. Actually, anyone got a 2gb stick for sale or wanna trade me it with some cash for one of my 1gb sticks???

15. computergeek macrumors member

16. r00 macrumors member

Can someone point me in the right direction of 4GB kits under $100? I'm only seeing it for $130 on Crucial.

17. Chillijam thread starter macrumors member

Chillijam

As computergeek says, the new generation of MacBook can address 4GB. Also, mixing capacities across a fair of SODIMMS will also lead to a performance drop due to the way (so-called dual channel) memory is addressed.

18. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

This has gone back up to £72.84 now :(

19. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

If you're in the US, then Newegg or Frys.com will be your best bet. There's really no point in buying directly from the manufactorer unless you're getting one hell of a deal. Plus Newegg's RMA policy is probably the best online so you can't go wrong there.