Old PC died - want to hook iPad up to new PC but dont want to lose all data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by idyll, Jun 15, 2011.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

Our old PC died so we bought a new one. However, when we hook up our iPad to the new PC it tells us we will lose all our data as the iPad will now be synced with the new PC.

Is there anything I can do to keep all of my things on the iPad but have it work with the new PC?

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

No backups of the old PC? Might want to consider doing that on the new one so you don't end up in the same situation again in the future.

When you say old PC died; is the hard disk salvageable? If the disk is okay, then put it in an external USB enclosure and use that to transfer your data over including your ipad backups. (Google search on how to find where those are stored)

If the old drive is dead, then you're stuck using some utility to extract the info from the ipad. See the suggestion above and if on PC perhaps run some searches on programs to do that. I don't have experience with those so cannot suggest anything.

4. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

I have no idea but would like to know the same. I too have an old PC that could go belly up any day.

Thankfully, this likely won't be an issue once iOS 5 is released.

5. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I thought you could just open iTunes on your new mac, plug in the iPad and then go to 'Store' in the menu bar, and select 'Authorise this computer' . . . . Type in your apple ID and password.

Then you should be good to go. . . No?

You can download apps you have already purchased for free, and in the fFile menu you can transfer purchased music/movies from your phone to the computer.

I think this is all true. . . Good luck.

6. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I think that is right. Just authorize the new computer and it should transfer everything from the iPad up.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The apps should transfer, but not music or other media. Those have to be rescued using one of the third-party "iPhone/iPad copy" programs.

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

music can be if its itunes purchased music