Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
O.K. everyone I need help. My boss is buying me a laptop (I do have to pay him back) and I can either get a new (yes hard to believe they are still out there new) G4 400 PowerBook with a 10GB Hard drive and DVD. Or, an iBook with the CDRW and 20GB Hard drive. I will run virutal PC on the notebook, and use it for work and home. I have never used either, so I need to hear from owners out there. Does the G3 600 run Virtual PC well? How about the G4? Thanks in advance.

Chuck

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I guess it depends on what types of applications you run. The iBook should run Virtual PC just fine as long as you load it up on RAM...the more RAM the faster it is going to run and the same holds true for the Powerbook. As for which one to choose...It really comes down to the little things. The Powerbook has a bigger screen, but if your boss will buy you a 14" iBook then the screen size is not much of an issue. I really like my Combo drive however...if you do not own a burner as of now...that would be something that would sway my decision. Also the 20 GB HD comes in real handy especially if you plan to hook a DV Camera up and download a movie for editing. The Powerbook looks more expensive but is larger and a bit more cumbersome. I also have read that Powerbooks are noisy because of a fan they have in them. I don't know if that is true or not since I have not had much time around them. The iBook is silent except for a little chirp from the HD every now and then. I guess it comes down to what you are doing with it. The G4 processor is going to be faster in some applications...but the iBook packs 200 more Mhz which might be useful in some other areas. I would say either would be a good choice. I love my iBook even though most on this message board prefer the Powerbook.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
May I ask what store still sells the old powerbook g4, and at what price? I am very interested in purchasing one, Thanks in advance.

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
hey, definitely get the powerbook g4...

i have the g4 500 model and i can assure you that you're not gonna want to go anything under it's 400 little brother...

keep in mind that a lot of the new apps are optimized for the g4 velocity engine, especially apps like photoshop, final cut, and after effects (you didn't specify what you'd be using the laptop for so i'm assuming something creative...)

the screen is a huge difference too (i'm also assuming you're talking about the ibooks with the smaller screen)...the Ti will defintely not get on your nerves (a dv production asst. friend of mine has the ibook and is somewhat miffed she didn't just lay out the extra cash for the screen of the Ti book)...

besides, os x is recommended on a g4, plus it looks bad a.ss too, so what the hell....

oh yeah almost forgot.

virtual pc pretty much sucks any way you cut it...it trudges through dreamweaver and photoshop (i'm talking cutting up 15k web graphics, not 50mb photos here)...

and thats my g4 500 with 768 of good ram

depending on how badly you need to rely on vpc, i'd definitely get the Ti.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I am getting the same responses from just about everyone. So far NOONE has said to get the iBook. http://www.smalldog.com has the G4 400 NEW, never opened for 1499.00. I just think that for the price and the power, it is too good to pass up. Does anyone know if VPC 5.0 is optimized for the Velocity Engine? Thanks for the responses everyone, I am just shocked that no one is saying the iBook.

I am an IT consultant, and will run VPC (Token 2, Terminal Server, PC Anywhere), Photoshop, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, Office v.X, Tony Hawk, and general stuff really. I have an iMac 600 Flower Power at home, and will be giving that to my daughter when we get the G4 iMac in September. My biggest question was really monitor size. I really have not seen either up close for long as my wife will not let me drool for to long in CompUSA.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Chuck

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Frankly I disagree because to me a portable with a small HD and a disk drive that won't burn CD's is a computer that really is not that portable. I use my Combo drive all the time. When I am traveling I watch DVD movies. The DVD player works excellent on my iBook. In fact if I close the lid the system sleeps and when I re-open the movie starts right where it left off without a hick-up. I have downloaded DV movies and edited on iMovie. Some movies have taken almost 10 GB of HD space. If you do anything like this you would want the bigger HD. After I edit my movies I always turn them into much smaller Quicktime movies and then burn them onto a CD. I run OS X 10.1.2 just fine on my computer. I don't agree with all the claims that OS X will not run on a G3. Sure a 233 MHz G3 might have some problems with it, but a 600 MHz G3 does excellent. Like I said the G4 will run some apps much faster like Photoshop, etc. but if you are using things like I do...IE, Mail, MS Office, Appleworks, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes...etc...a G3 600 MHz is more then capable of doing these tasks well. The only thing I wish I had was the 14" screen, but I bought mine right before they came out and I am happy with my 12.1" since I have gotten used to it...and people always marvel at how cool my computer is because it is so compact. I donno you guys will probably go off on me...but I got to stand up for Booker cause he is a great computer at least in my eyes if nobody elses. hehe

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
get the powerbook, remember the 10gb HDD can be upgraded in the future to 40gb for around $200

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
huh...according to you guys I should throw my iBook in the dump...maybe i will get a Dell cause for the price that is about the only other laptop i could afford...Its too bad that everyone on here puts you down for buying a consumer model...its an Apple ain't it??? You guys hate iBooks I can tell this over the time I have been writing on here and from the poll I put up....I bet if I put up a poll that said which would you buy...a Dell laptop or an iBook...the Dell would win...huh...someone should try that...

michealk

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2002
Grab the powerbook. I've got a PB 400 Ti, and my girlfriend has a 2001 iBook, both have > 256mb of RAM, and mine is still noticeably faster. I believe the Powerbooks have a faster system bus than the iBooks (which are at 66 Mhz), do they not?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
WRONG The system bus on my iBook is 100 MHz and I will argue that point till I am blue in the face if I have to....just get a Dell they are probably better then both

mywar2000

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
central Cali.
yep! ditto

My ibook 500 rules! I run OSX 100%. I love it. Oh yeah... 384 ram, cdr-w.
The PB is an awesome deal.... but you NEED the burner! (the 14" screen would be really nice though)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
The burner is not the big issues since I have one in my iMac, and an external at work. I think it going to come down to screen size since I have to look at it for 8 hours a day.

Believe me I am not putting down the iBook, nor is anyone here. The question was which would you get. 1499 for a new TiBook, or the iBook? Both are the same price, and the question was how would each run Virtual PC. Both rock, and believe me I would rather walk over a bed of broken glass, into a pile of rock salt, and then have to swim through shark infested waters before I would buy a Dell.

In fact if someone gave me one I would give the thing away.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Booker...

Get the iBook. My buddy has an iBook 500 with a 12.1 screen. It is pretty damn nice. The screen is so crystal clear, you cant tell the difference between that and a 15. You dont "strain" your eyes looking at them. Also, G3s run X great. I am in X right now on my G3 333. The iBook is probly 3 times the speed (I only have a 66MHz bus)!

G4: Small HD. No CD Burning. Nice screen. Out of date. Rev. A model. Wont be as "comfortable" as the ibook.

ThomasB

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
VPC is G4 optimized!

I have Verson 4. I downloaded an updater for it to be Alti-Vec optimized. I would assume VPC 5 is as well, but double check the connectix web site.

-Thomas

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
If VPC is all you want -

The iBook 600 may be a better choice. It depends what OS you run under VPC. W '95 runs just fine on my Ti 550. W '98 also runs OK (you'll need RAM but that's cheap).

If you need to run W 2000 then neither choice may be practical. 2000 runs barely OK on my Ti 550 but I need to do some network testing and I'm having to consider a faster machine to run 2000 well.

I love my TiBook but I loved the iBook I had last Summer too. If you can live with just '95 then the Ti 400 is a great deal but I'd say the iBook may be better because you'll have a way to archive easily.

What do you NEED to run on VPC??? Do you have another computer to transfer files to and burn CD'S (see iBook)? Will you be doing graphics or web design or video (see Ti)?

You can't loose here; both are great choices - but VPC may disappoint you if you expect too much from it. It is a cool 'app though - saved me from buying a PC!

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
What to do?

I appreciate all the comments I have read tonight. I came to this site for about the same question. I have a 466 MHz G4 with a CD-RW, 896 megs ram, and 70 gigs of storage (on 2 drives). What I need is something I can take on the road with me, watch DVD's on the plane, and get a little work done. Or... say I just feel like surfin the web in the living room. And this may sound a little weird, but I am tired of fixing my friends/families IBM-clone computers and trying to explain in words why they might want to consider a mac. I am positive if I could show people the OS X side by side with Win 9x, etc. that peeps would give it serious consideration. So I guess my question is, if this laptop is just going to be my extra computer, what do you say... the $1499 400mhz g4 or one of the ibooks (remember, cd-rw is not a big deal, I can go on the road, come back and transfer/burn as needed). You all rock, thanks for the community-feel.

Buffsldr

Oh, by the way, is smalldog.com reputable? has anyone here done business with them? I would hate to drop $1000+ bucks on a net company without some reassurance of their history. Thanks.

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
smalldog.com is VERY reliable, not some quack internet store....

i bought a 17" studio display that was turned on at mac expo SF and got it for only 800 plus shipping, had it in three days.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I thank everyone for the posts here. Also, yes smalldog is a great place to buy a system. If you call them, ask for Michelle, she was great in helping me with my iMac 600.

The notebook will be a second computer, and yes I run VPC on my iMac 600. I will run terminal server, PcAnywhere, Office, and token2 under VPC. I am going to max the ram on whatever I buy, so I am starting to think the G4 would be better because of the velocity engine.

fuzzbucket

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2002
New York City
My wife has the g4 400 rev A and I have an ibook 500. I get to work on both a good deal. In all honestly, for everything I do, i prefer the ibook. it simply feels snappier/crisper--and I don't notice a discernible amount of difference in time to complete a task. and the cd/dvd, etc...work fine in both. in fact, the ibook never drops a frame in dvd playback--and I can't say that for the ti.

it is a bit of a jolt each time to go down in screen size, but it really isn't a that much of practical problem MOST of the time. now, admittedly, we are primarily consumer users--large (dissertation length) word processing docs, itunes (w/ external burner), relatively light video work, etc...

just a thought from a couple of consumer types.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
from the good comments on both sides of the issue, you are in a win win situation

i am leaning a little bit toward the powerbook and you can also carry a portable cd-rw and 10 gig hd is not that small so i think the g4 is better

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
My iBook indigo runs VPC4 - Win2k just as fast as my 800mHZ Wintel and I love my iBook it also runs OS 9.2 and X without a problem I also use iMovie 2 to do all my home movies on, AND edit Photos in Photoshop without a problem. AND I DROPPED IT 4 FEET FROM THE GROUND AND IT RUNS BETTER THAN BEFORE. and the iBook gets better battery life then the Tibook.:D

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
smalldog is a very high quality store.

I have bought several high dollar items from them. The last thing was a 17" studio LCD. everytime I get a great, fast response, ususally faster than they quote. They usually include something fun in the order (this time it was little toy dogs).

I own an iBook 500, it's wonderful, but I would buy a G4 in the future. More expandable - RAM, HD. Also you can add a monitor and use the extended desktop. Bigger screen too. For an all around machine, I'd get the G4.

splat

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2002
Go Ibook!

I have an i-book 500 with the 66 bus and it runs OSX and VPC smoothly. when i bought it, it won out over the tibook for price, screen (yes the screen is smaller, but it is also clearer), and size. I have several friends with the tibook. although it is a GREAT computer, they have dropped it and broke the clasp, it doesn't fit well in traditional laptop bags or backpacks, and the keyboard is too far away making it awkward. The ibook is very easy and light to travel with and in bench mark test pretty much equals the 400 tibook. basically with the tibook your buying bragging rights of owning a tibook, no other advantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.