Old school radio owner looking for a good current radio with iPhone compatibility.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dizzy714, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dizzy714 macrumors member

So my grandmother listens to the radio every morning, you know, the foot long portable one with antennas. She needs a new radio an I figured I'd get her one for Christmas. Honestly, she'd be happy with another one just like it but I don't even know where they sell those things anymore. I figured I'll just get something current generation that has iPhone/Bluetooth compatibility, maybe an aux cable support, and sounds pretty decent and not like crap. MOST IMPORTANTLY, though, has good AM/FM radio coverage.

So with that said, what really are my options? Would like to keep it under $200, hundred bucks would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Go with Sony. They have a Bluetooth Wireless Boombox ZS-BTY50 $99

You can stream wirelessly which imo is best considering a lot of phone/mp3 use different ports.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

How about these old school looking ones:
    August SE50 Bluetooth Speaker System with FM Radio -Wireless Hi-Fi with 2 x 15W Speakers and 3.5mm AUX-in for non-Bluetooth devices - Compatible with iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Blackberry, Google, LG, Nexus, iPad and all Bluetooth enabled Cell Phones, Smartphones, Tablets, PC's, Laptops etc
    http://amzn.com/B00FBJ55DC

August MB300 Mini Wooden MP3 Stereo System and FM Clock Radio, with Card Reader, USB Port & AUX Jack (3.5mm Audio In), 2 x 3W Powerful Hi-Fi Speakers and Built-in Rechargeable Battery
    http://amzn.com/B0031NF116

4. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response guys.

This Sony is a bit funky looking, but it has everything I could want in it however - so I'll put this on the top buying list for now. I'm sure it sounds a heck of a lot better than any iHome too, do you think? This one in particular.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bluetooth-stereo-fm-clock-radio/8925875.p?id=1218951984898&skuId=8925875&st=ihome&cp=1&lp=6

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Awhile back someone told me that iHome was the same company as Soundesign. idk if this is true our not. But Soundesign SUCKED. I've heard some iHome stuff and the sound quality sucks. I would get more sound from my 3in Sony portable speakers. iHome I see a lot of their products in discount stores. The quality doesn't match Sony nor does the durability. $99 is a bit much for an iHome product.

I bought my mom a Sony boom box, over 10 years ago, to play her 4 cds lol and she still has it. Any of my friends and family I would recommend Sony over anything else… for one you wouldn't have to buy a replacement unit in the next 3-5 years. Two.. the sound quality is great.

The only thing that's really different on the Sony Boombox vs my mom's 10yr old boom box is the design of the speakers. Oh you get wireless connection. The main buttons are easy for anyone to navigate around. Press a button for cd, press another for radio. etc The antenna, from what I read on the reviews, could need a little help. If you come across that problem just add a little wire to it.

I would go with that or

6. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

What's the adding of wire consist of? What kind of wire and what exactly do you do?

I ended up going with the model above the one you posted, the red one (ZSBTG900) - figured that one would have a significantly better sound quality to it and it plays CD's as well in the case she ever wants to pop in some CD's. While I was at my local Best Buy, however, I came across some $400 Sony that's quite large that I was personally digging for myself maybe - ha. But for now I've got that red one wrapped under the tree for her. More than enough. And will be nice to wake up in the morning, flip on Bluetooth on my phone, hit play on some Pandora while I make some coffee and soak in the mornings.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

adding a wire will help with the FM reception if you are having trouble.

8. photographer86 macrumors newbie

There is a company called ccrane. They make really good am fm radios and i think some of there models are ipod compatable. Check radio shack and look at shortwave radios as well. May find a nice one there for cheaper price

9. Dizzy714 thread starter macrumors member

Glad I went with that Sony, it sounds great. Kind of wish it had adjustable EQ rather than the 6 EQ curved presets it comes with, but nevertheless. Sounds great!