Old Verizon iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daleycss, Jul 21, 2012.

1. daleycss macrumors regular

Ok. My Verizon iPhone 4's contract will be expiring in October. I will get the new iPhone then. Is there a way to keep my iPhone 4 as a backup or just an extra iPod? If so, what settings do I need to change on the phone. Thanks

2. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

that's my plan with my at&t iPhone. There is nothing that you need to do to use this phone as a backup. It's been a while since I had verizon but if I remember correctly if you need to use the old 4 just give them a call and have them activate it.

Beyond that there is nothing more that you need to do.

If you want to use it as an extra ipod then just use the phone on your wi fi network. The phone will still sync to itunes without a carrier connection.

Basicly all the phone will be without the carrier connection is an ipod.

3. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

To add to sharpycl, if you just put the phone into airplane mode and turn on wifi you'll save on battery that would have been used powering the CDMA antenna and bluetooth. I plan to do the same with my 4s when the new iPhone comes out, then just leave the 4s in the car connected to the stereo.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

Unless u got Verizon iPhone 4 off contract, there is no way you contact is expiring October 2012.

Verizon released iPhone 4 in Feb 2011. To my knowledge Verizon stopped 1 year contacts around iPhone 4/CDMA release date.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It could happen. The OP was probably still on contract with whatever phone they had before in February of '11, and bought the iPhone full price. Now, the old contract is coming up on expiring.

6. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

October 2012 is 20 months after February 2011. It's a well known fact that Verizon lets you upgrade after 20 months. The OP is probably planning on using his upgrade at that time after having bought the iPhone 4 on contract in February 2011.

7. daleycss thread starter macrumors regular

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

That's one of the things I mentioned. That you got phone off contract to began with.

But if anyone got a subsidized CDMA iPhone 4 from Verizon, unless they pay the etf. No ones contract would expired in October if they used the subsidy.

9. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

:confused: Im really confused, I used MY upgrade on Feb 28th, 2011 to get the iPhone 4, I also have a contract expiring in October, and I will tell you right now I DID NOT pay 550$ for my phone (or whatever that crazy price is)

10. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

That's because of this:

11. libertysat macrumors regular

I got up in middle of night to get my order in for the verizon iphone when first released

It replaced the moto droid I had (decent phone), which had some >$20 apps for work on it
    I didn't want to buy the apps again and don't use them all that many times a month
    I still use the apps on the droid even though it can't make/receive calls
    And I got it in my truck if disaster strikes my iphone

A droid touch?

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Upgrade date vs contract end date are two different dates.

13. maliu macrumors 6502a