Older Apple Cinema display vs. generic PC monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nhcowboy1, Jul 6, 2012.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

My antique Apply Studio display is dying. Well, to be fair, it might be the power supply that's dying . . . I'm not sure. Either way, one of these days it's going to flicker out and not come back.

I need an inexpensive replacement and am considering either an older (2004 - 2009) 20" aluminum Cinema Display or a cheap generic PC monitor.

I'm not doing graphics. I'm an editor - I work with text only. My concerns are as follows:

(1) I need to be able to connect it to my 2009 Mac Mini, and it would be helpful if it were also compatible with my 2008 Mac Mini. If the only way to hook either of these up is to use an adaptor that's not even made anymore, that's going to be a big problem!

Available posts on the '09 Mini: mini-DVI, mini-display and Firewire-800
    Available ports on the '08 Mini: DVI and Firewire-400

(2) I have to be able to adjust the resolution, as I get older and my eyesight gets worse, so that the text (and apple menus, icons, etc.) are big enough for me to be able to see them. On my old studio display monitor, I compensate for my age by adjusting the resolution so that it's "just right." (It's currently set to 1024x768.) If I can't make those adjustments on either the cinema or PC display, that's going to be a problem.

(3) I don't want to bother with speakers and camera (available on the PC monitors) if I won't be able to get them to work on my older mini's . . . but it would be lovely to have them if they did work!

(4) Ease of use - I want to be able to move/adjust the screen easily.

(5) Longevity - I don't want to have to throw it away and buy a new one in a year!

Aesthetically, I prefer the old Cinema display . . . but maybe the technology is so old that that's just stupid. I could use your advice . . .

Thanks!

2. ray648 macrumors regular

If you are going to be setting the resolution to anything lower than the native one then you are better off buying a cheaper monitor with a lower native resolution, so you can run at that resolution, and the picture will not be a lot sharper. What size is the screen you currently have?

3. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently have a 17" Apple Studio display.

Another question:

From what I've been reading about the less expensive PC monitors, there's apparently an issue with trying to view the screen from an angle. Well, I certainly don't have that problem with the studio display . . . can I assume it wouldn't be a problem with the cinema display either?

I'm also seeing reviews calling the inexpensive monitors "flimsy" and "hard to adjust" . . . which are also problems I wouldn't expect to have with the cinema display.

I'm just seeing a lot of reasons to just stick with the one I know is well built . . . even if it's not the latest and greatest technology. Am I wrong?