Older MR users....do you still go out as often as you did when you were younger?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Nov 25, 2009.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

So in my teens, 20's, and 30's I was out and about quite a bit. Going to shows, different trips, etc. Even into the first year or so of my 40's I was like this.

Since I hit 42 last year, and 43 this year, Ive noticed Ive slowed down alot. Almost to the point where its too much effort after working all day 5 days a week to go out. Last night I even bailed on a phish concert I had been looking forward to for several weeks. I made it through the first set, than left during the break.

I think part of it is that I am just away from home so much during the week, that in my time off Id rather just chill and get into all the toys I have at home I dont get to spend that much time with anymore.

Anyone else??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

MR=MacRumors

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

MacRumors, I would think.
    Yes, now that we're both mid-40s we also like to stay in most nights and… oh… hang on…
    ;)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- I still do, just not as late. But I do have my 4am nights once in a while. Hell yeah- life is too short to sit around the house. There's things to see and people to do. :)

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You'd be surprised how married life changes the routine. :D:p
    We just go out now for different things.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I find I go out less during the week than when I was younger but am out most Friday and Saturday nights.

8. iOrlando macrumors 68000

what do you classify as old?
    and what do you classify as going out?

9. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

I still love to go out, I just find it takes me days to get over it, where when I was 18, it I used to be able to back up night after night. The will is still there, but sometimes the body says no.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I go out MORE now...playdates, kids' sports, pediatrician appointments, school events.

Wait...you meant...oh GOD my life sucks now! :eek:

11. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I classify oldER ( I didnt say old), as 40 and up.

By going out I mean going out partying, socializing, concerts, etc..

Since I am away from home from about seven am until seven pm, and have to pretty much drive anywhere from 30-60 minutes to get anywhere, I just find it increasingly diffucult to spend any other time away from home,

12. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Feel lucky that you've made it into your forties before this happened. Since my GF (now wifey) moved in, it's been homebody city. Hell, our regular entertainment budget consists of takeout and and our monthly DVR fee.

Based on my perception of the average age of this forum, I'd assumed you meant anyone over the age of 16. :rolleyes:

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah well, seeing as that hasn't happened yet, I"ll continue to play the field. ;) Some guy will steal my heart again at some point. They always do.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

glocke12 - can not believe you're four decades old!

Always figured you for a 20-something.

Not that I had anything against it... your lack of old-person conversation threw me off. ;)

15. Shrink, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As for me, at my age, I don't do anything as often as I used to.

Except, maybe, get up during the night.:p

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Now to the question. ;)

For me it's about location, cash-flow (retired) and tolerance for idiots.

In a perfect World I would have a condo on the Toronto waterfront, and season tickets to Roy Thompson hall, for a start. Then the plays/musicals that roll through town would all be on my radar. Same for Jazz/Blues venues.

Ah, but to dream.

17. Scepticalscribe, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To the OP: No, I don't. I still go out but as brisbaneguy29 says, it can take a lot longer - sometimes a day or so - to get over it. Likewise, I still pull the occasional 4 a.m. session, - especially on missions abroad - but, again, nothing like as often as I used to. And the days of pulling a few of these night after night, while not completely over, are considerably reduced.

I remember waking up one Saturday morning, well into my thirties, slowly opening one eye, and realising that I didn't have a hangover because I hadn't gone out the night before and what I recall most was the shattering relief when that knowledge filtered through my mind. When such relief is worth more than the pleasures of the night before, well, that is when I knew that the (my) old habit of going out every Friday night was about to change. And it did.

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My favorite is when you wake up feeling like you have a hangover, but you don't. Then you realize the various aches, pains, cracks, and pops are just old age catching up with you. :D I hate waking up with some body part hurting and thinking "I didn't even DO anything to make that hurt!"

I never went out much even when I was younger, but it's gotten worse as I have approached 40. About the most I do is have a pint or two and some food. I have also gotten to be more of a cheapskate. I'll look at prices of a beer now and think something like "I can almost buy a 6 pack for the price of one beer!"

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

most people 40+ don't go out as much as they used to ... one reason being ... when they do, everyone is in their early 20s :D

20. Scepticalscribe, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I take your point about the aches, pains, pops and cracks.

However, re the price of alcohol, I've very much gone the other way. When I was a kid (US sense, i.e. teenager, and worse, a student), I would drink any rubbish, especially if it was cheap, or someone else paid. A summer in Germany as a student was sheer, unadulterated alcoholic bliss - meeting suitable and unsuitable people, drinking vast amounts of incredibly cheap (and not too bad) beer, partying, getting home at 5.30 in order to start work at 6 a.m........

These days, I am adamant about quality; I won't drink swill. And, as I drink far less - where quantity is concerned - I can focus a lot more on quality. Nowadays, I rarely have more than two beers, but they are serious artisan brewed tasty beers, and I enjoy spending time savouring them, rather than wolfing down quantity as I did when younger.

There is truth in that. ;) I like pubs with mixed ages - neither full of youngsters nor oldies.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yeah, and they're a pretty scary bunch.:eek: ;)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go out? Nah. Instead, I resuscitate old threads to see how long it takes people to notice. It's cheaper, and more fun.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Us 60+ see you 40+ as kids.:D

I still go to a few concerts Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, its less about my age and more about my kids. With kids, life gets more complicated and expensive. I costs me more just to step out the door, even before we had a bite to eat.

Plus is activities, like girl scouts, or gymnastics, once you get through all that, you're both exhausted and broke :)

25. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Oh, believe me, I'm a certified beer snob. Of course, it's a bit difficult where I live, as we don't get a lot of the best stuff here, and there is only one brewery based in the state. It's just now when I see a place charging say, $6 or $7 for a pint of something decent, I just think about the fact that I can buy a six pack of the same beer for the price of two of those pints.