Older white voters in US shift away from GOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Apr 9, 2018.

1. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well this was bound to happen if enough older white people turned off Fox News for ten minutes and read even the wire services section of a local mainstream newspaper.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rs-shift-away-from-trumps-party-idUSKBN1HG1I6

The 12-point swing is one of the largest shifts in support toward Democrats that the Reuters/Ipsos poll has measured over the past two years. If that trend continues, Republicans will struggle to keep control of the House of Representatives, and possibly the Senate, in the November elections, potentially dooming President Donald Trump’s legislative agenda.

“The real core for the Republicans is white, older white, and if they’re losing ground there, they’re going to have a tsunami,” said Larry Sabato, a University of Virginia political scientist who closely tracks political races. “If that continues to November, they’re toast.”​

2. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

don't forget the new high school teenagers who will vote (hopefully!!!!) in the next election.

3. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Yup! 17 right now, will be eligible to vote for the 2020 election (for TRUMP)! :D Our voices will be heard!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2018 ---
    You need to note that the Baby Boomer generation is where a lot of the GOP votes come from, with that generation gracefully passing, less and less Republican votes are collected. Not to mention the changing demographics of the US which is also shaping our politics.

4. raqball, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

The left always labels and assumes specific groups, ages, race, income ect vote a certain way. You'd think that thought process would have been shattered based on the pervious election but I guess not...

I'm 52 (older) and white and I will more than likely vote for Trump again so the polling means squat to me.. But then again, I don't consider myself as the GOP either..

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Ditto. I’m neither GOP or Dem.

6. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

My generation is overwhelmingly Liberal. Not looking forwards to America's future.

7. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I’m neither right or left and vote for who I think will do a better job. Let’s see who the dems pony up in 2020. Gonna be tough no matter who.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No it won't Trump will get walked all over by an establishment republican or a dem.

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Wait a minute, so most of that nonsense you came up with about Obama in the other thread discussion is stuff that happened when you were in elementary school? Now I understand.

10. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

XD
    I'm not incapable of doing research myself ya'know. That stuff is NOT nonsense, on top of that your comment is provoking and off topic. If you wish to continue, I'll happily comply within the grounds of the other thread!

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

A pot-shot at Fox News and a broad assumption about a large group of people...
    Honestly, I thought you were intellectually above that sort of thing. Interesting article and topic, I was just honestly surprised to see something so simple, for lack of a better word, come from you. Take it as a compliment, I'm not trying to be rude.

12. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

I guess they are starting to realize that Trump is your typical Con Man, especially with that massive Tax Cuts that pretty much went to corporations and the 1%.

Its pretty much common sense, These Companys dont even want to raise the minimum wage and pay workers a decent salary. They took the tax cuts and did stock buybacks.

13. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Like McCain, Clinton, Palin or sanders?

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

They are too busy eating tide pods and snorting condoms to vote.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

But views often change as people get older.. I know most people your age buy into the liberal agenda but many will change as they age.. I certainly did as did my son who is now 25.

When he was a teen I'd say he leaned democrat. Now he is republican. I don't claim either party and I believe voting the party line up and down the ballot is a bad idea. Vote for whom you think will do the best job and call it a day. :)

I don't know why you feel the need to attempt to discredit him because of his age. I applaud him / her for being involved and doing his / her own research. Why do liberals praise the kids who marched recently as being the future and good for them then attack another youth just because he / she does not agree? SAD!

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

All old news

McCain's -- got one foot in the grave
    Clinton -- never again
    Sara who
    Sanders -- too old

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's called intersectionality, when someone doesn't fall in line they're fair game.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The poll was asking about the midterm elections. Do you plan to vote then?

19. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

As Trump loves "poorly educated", they did vote for him en masse. Charts in the articles below show.
    Higher educated (discount Trump University graduates) groups favored Hillary. And yes, I got something to backup my claims.

http://college.usatoday.com/2016/11/09/how-we-voted-by-age-education-race-and-sexual-orientation/
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

20. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Pretty sure he will. I won't be able to vote for this midterm election.
    Preach it...
    Guess he has nothing better to do with his life.
    ---
    Anyways... We need to ensure that the GOP holds control of both houses!

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Yep - Even our beloved Apple here is on the mega stock buyback path..

Pathetic..
    Avoid taxes at every single turn and then this...

As expected. We all need to start realizing that NO Corporation is the actual friend of real people.

22. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Doesn't help that Colleges are practically propaganda machines, constantly pushing out Liberal ideologies and suppressing opposing viewpoints. On top of that schools attempt to limit freedom of speech laws, and schools/Universities generally look down on people who actually think for themselves. As a Student, I can tell you that it's getting bad.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You do realize that when a liberal looks at statements like this, it looks like someone repeating propaganda without thinking for themselves?

I mean, I do think there is a reasonable argument that can be made on whether conservative viewpoints tend to get suppressed in Academia. But making general sweeping statements like "colleges are propaganda machines" doesn't help convince people to your point of view.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I'm liberal and I have to be honest, TC has a point. Its getting pretty weird on college campuses these days. Institutions that used to be all about free speech have done a 180. Its pretty sad.

25. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Several news outlets have called it out (both right and left). I'm in Highschool and have been suspended for "offending a classmate" for giving my input on immigration policies! It's sickening!!
    People whom haven't experienced it, nor done proper research wouldn't notice.