Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wba1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Birmingham, England
When can we expect to see a iPad with an OLED display? I'm debating getting iPad Pro now, or waiting say 9 months for an OLED one, do we think we will see an OLED display on the 2018 iPad's, or do we think they will wait on a 10 year anniversary like they did with iPhone X too?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
It's anyone's guess...I think 2019, personally.

I don't think waiting for a spring/summer 2018 refresh to OLED will happen.

Reactions: Precursor

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
When can we expect to see a iPad with an OLED display? I'm debating getting iPad Pro now, or waiting say 9 months for an OLED one, do we think we will see an OLED display on the 2018 iPad's, or do we think they will wait on a 10 year anniversary like they did with iPhone X too?
Never wait on technology. Get what you need now. Don't get what you don't need. Next year it will be old hat anyway.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I'm hoping for 2018 but I imagine it'll be 2019.

Will they really be able to get enough parts to go full OLED on all iPhone models and iPad Pros in the same year? Probably not.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'm hoping they will spring a surprise and go straight to microLED. They have been very secretive about LuxVue, and there seem to be more stories about large format microLED nearing production than small, so I'm doubtful about the Watch being the first Apple product to use it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
2018 OLED iPad is possible given the rumours but I think 2019 as mentioned is more likely.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012

Never, hopefully. OLED's burn in may be tolerable on a phone, which is mostly used in short bursts, but an iPad used for actual productivity would have UI elements burned into it in a couple months at most.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
On what basis people here are saying 2019 for the OLED iPad's there is no real rumour yet ! Everybody is pretty much using their own wild imagination !!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
On what basis people here are saying 2019 for the OLED iPad's there is no real rumour yet ! Everybody is pretty much using their own wild imagination !!
Kuo has said 2019 in a recent report and even said 2018 we could see face ID

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Never, hopefully. OLED's burn in may be tolerable on a phone, which is mostly used in short bursts, but an iPad used for actual productivity would have UI elements burned into it in a couple months at most.

Samsungs galaxy tabs don't burn in. I have a galaxy tab s3 and its OLED is gorgeous.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Samsungs galaxy tabs don't burn in. I have a galaxy tab s3 and its OLED is gorgeous.
Actually they do burn in. There are lots of store display models for sale on eBay and most have screen burn in. I think if an image on the screen is left on for long enough then it will probably burn in.

I have a Tab S 10.5 and it is the best screen on any device I've owned. Better than the screen on my iPad Pro 10.5!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Actually they do burn in. There are lots of store display models for sale on eBay and most have screen burn in. I think if an image on the screen is left on for long enough then it will probably burn in.

I have a Tab S 10.5 and it is the best screen on any device I've owned. Better than the screen on my iPad Pro 10.5!

Yeah, I have an 8" Galaxy Tab S2 and really like the screen on it.

Reactions: MacInTO

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Yeah, I have an 8" Galaxy Tab S2 and really like the screen on it.
I wanted to stay with Samsung but I didn't want to move to a 9.7" screen from the 10.5.

I still use my Tab S 10.5 to watch videos! The other great thing is the screen is not a fingerprint magnet like the iPad. ;)

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

The Only reason I can think of Apple randomly decides to go with a 10.5” IPad Pro in 2017 is because Apple needs tons of volume to make OLED Displays and there already exists a 10.5” manufacturing partner with LG who made a 10.5” OLED Display for a Dell Tablet which was actually pretty good.

Here s a Link
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/dell-venue-10-7040-tablet

So this is the reason IMO there will likely be a 10.5” OLED IPad around next year in 9 months or so Minus the Home Button with Face ID and with the removal of the HOME button and less Bezels it might be smaller than the current 10.5” IPad Pro.

It doesn’t stop there. Alienware, HP, and Lenovo all have Amazing looking 13” OLED laptops on the Market right now. All these displays are made by LG, LG is making the panels.

Since the jump from 9.7” to 10.5” was well accepted No doubt Apple will be upping the 12.9” IPad Pro to a Full
13” OLED Display sourced and made by from LG to Apples Specs with 120hz Pro Motion.

So 2018 IPad Pro 10.5” OLED yet smaller and thinner than the current one.
And a 13” IPad Pro OLED And Maybe even 13” OLED MacBook Pros

We need inside sources at LG because a Big Order or Contract like this will leak.
Another telling fact will be if Alienware, HP, and Lenovo don’t offer 13” OLED Laptop updates for 2018 at CES in January because Apple will occupy all of LG production capacity.

Reactions: Netman

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

If you keep any screen at high brightness for days and days in those stores, of course it would burn in. I have had every samsung amoled tablet and no burn in seen in any of them.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

so you really want also the ipad to go amoled ? i never had a tablet with oled display
i dont think tv or macs should go oled, because those screens does stay ON a lot lot much time than smartphones
To have oled on macs you have to be worry and do things like
Have your screen turn off after 5 min of not being used. Hide the task bar. Have 2 or more different desktop backgrounds that rotate on 5 minute loops (slideshow).
[doublepost=1508686951][/doublepost]So i think Apple should go amoled to smartphones and ipads only
For macs is different story we should wait for microLED

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
so you really want also the ipad to go amoled ? i never had a tablet with oled display
i dont think tv or macs should go oled, because those screens does stay ON a lot lot much time than smartphones
To have oled on macs you have to be worry and do things like
Have your screen turn off after 5 min of not being used. Hide the task bar. Have 2 or more different desktop backgrounds that rotate on 5 minute loops (slideshow).
[doublepost=1508686951][/doublepost]So i think Apple should go amoled to smartphones and ipads only
For macs is different story we should wait for microLED
If the iPad Pro screen were Amoled, it would be the best device ever! But I would deduct a star because it's a fingerprint magnet and not as good visually compared to the Samsung Amoled tablets.

I think the iPad will go Amoled at some point - whether we want it or not, because,'that is the next big thing'. I'm not sure why though because it seems like Amoled isn't that new. Samsung has been producing it for several years already. It really depends on the supply chain of Apple suppliers though. I'm not sure why they are trying to get screens from LG because they have less capacity than Samsung for smaller screens.

I personally think they should skip Amoled and go straight to micro LED for all devices.

Here's a good article on the situation,

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4115046

You might need an account to read the full text.

Last edited:

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Never wait on technology. Get what you need now. Don't get what you don't need. Next year it will be old hat anyway.

Exactly, also, early techonolgies get old really fast. This is why I always prefer “S” iPhones, they last longer since they fix all the bugs that the first model has. The only trade off is that after a year you won’t have the new and shiny design, gladly or sadly, Apple hasn’t really made a new iPhone design for a while LOL.

Someone called me crazy last year for buying an older, higher end LCD TV that was only 1080p instead of a lower end, smaller 4K TV but I’m super happy with it. It’s also for a guest room so I don’t need bleeding edge techonology in it but guests appreciate the size.

I can only hope that by the time my current iPad will get old the OLED iPad will be in its second generation at least. I am really excited about OLED finally being here, but I’m in no rush to go and buy a 2000$ TV that will look dated in 2-3 years next to a 500$ one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.