Oleophobic coating observation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Ive owned a 3GS, Iphone 4, SGS 2, Iphone 4S, iPad 3, and now an iPhone 5. Each time I get a new device I appreciate the fresh new oleophobic coating and how nice and glossy the screen feels. As time passes you can tell when it begins to wear as the screen gets smudged up quickly and easily, and fingers 'catch' on the screen rather than gliding across it.

Anyway, I accidentally drowned my iPhone 4S in Mexico and when I returned home I replaced it at the Apple Store. First thing I noticed with the new 4S was how different the screen felt. To me it felt like there was no oleophobic coating at all, as if it had been forgotten on that particular screen. I wasnt too bothered as I was just glad to get the replacement sorted out so I thought nothing more of it.

Cut to the iPhone 5 launch and Im kinda noticing the same thing with the iPhone 5 screen. Again it feels like the screen doesnt have an oeleophobic coating and seems to get covered in fingerprints very easily. Dont get me wrong Im not complaining, its just something Ive noticed and wonder if something has changed during the production of the devices.

Oh and before you ask, no I dont have big fat nerdy sweaty sausage fingers :p

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

It doesn't prevent finger smudges, it makes them so very much easier to wipe off without using a cleaning solution. Just a quick wipe on your shirt and, gone.

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I feel different actually about the oleophobic coating. I feel it makes it harder to slide your finger across the screen.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have noticed the screen feels different than the previous iphones. I feel like my fingers "stick" if that makes sense...

5. imacadoo macrumors member

I've noticed the same thing on my 5. Occasionally my finger seems to stick. I had a power support screen protector on my 4s from day one so I can't compare it to that. Waiting for the PS to come out for the 5 at which time it will be a moot point for me.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think the sticking has a lot to do with my texting issues =/