Olympia Snowe calls it quits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not a total surprise, I guess, and you can't blame her, but still a shame. We need more, not fewer, people who are willing to talk to the guys on the other side of the aisle.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Republicans have been culling their moderates for a decade now. Susan Collins is the only remaining one I think.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder if the unnamed Tea Party guy will run in her place? That's the last thing this country needs.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Quitting will not solve her party's problems.

Crossing the floor might.

The reverberations would be "interesting".

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If at first you don't succeed, ..... :p

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Drink yourself to sleep.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Snowe = RINO

Hopefully Maine will elect a real republican in her place, but somehow I doubt it.

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Do me a favor, and give me an example of a "true Republican"?

Presumably, we can start with somebody who is able to balance a budget...that should rule out the vast majority right there.

Terms like "RINO" are absurd without context--do you want a Bush-style GOPer, who blows up the deficit and starts needless wars, and trashes our individual liberties/privacy? Or do you want a Reagan, who raised taxes 11 times, while setting the trend for ignoring deficits? How about a Nixon, who had all the ethics of a toadstool? In all seriousness, who is this model of Republicanishness?

(Note, I am not exactly one of the far-left liberals here...hell, I'm actually a registered Republican)

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This shows the great fault in a two political party system IMO.

We of course have more than 23 different political parties, of which normally 14 sit in the parliament, and up to 5 have formed a government. (This is of course over doing it)

But this system does stop grid lock, as you will need to form partnerships with all factions.:D

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Go the sand route, it's cheaper.

Attached Files:

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is what's wrong with politics in the US. Many are wedded to their ideology regardless of what's best for the country. The fact is, we need more Olympia Snowes in Congress.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Indeed, Government should br run from the center out, not the fringe in.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Hardly.

Having someone who compromises every principle simply to pass legislation for the sake of legislation helps no one.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Her principals have been compromised by the nuts of the party.

16. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

And how many are helped by having someone who refuses to compromise on any principle and therefore passes no legislation?

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I rest my case.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Fixed.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

We have about a Trillion dollars worth of water supply pipeline currently in the ground that had a 20-30 year lifespan. Those pipes are disintigrating underneath us, because since Reagan, we stopped investing in our infrastructure. The contamination, resulting illnesses and water loss are real problems. In addition, there is a similar amount of wastewater pipeline that is also far past its useful life. We have human waste, industrial waste, and who knows what else seeping into the soil mere feet under where we walk because our pipes are falling apart. Fix just those two problems, and what do you think happens to unemployment? What do you think happens to tax revenues? What do you think happens to all the businesses that suddenly have customers with paychecks?

That is not a democrat or republican issue. That is just a question of whether we want to live in a country where your kid can get sick from drinking a glass of water. Why can't things like that be resolved without it turning into a partisan bitchfest?

20. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Andrea Mitchell was just on Brian Leher's radio show, and recounted an interview with Olympia Snowe. Snowe said that when she and Susan Collins voted for the stimulus bill, the rest of the GoP caucus collectively cut off all communication with them. They wouldn't even talk with them during caucuses.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18 years in the Senate is long enough, I don't think people should spend their lives in Congress.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, let's apply that logic to everything else. Teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc... should all be forced to do something completely different after a decade or so. No one should spend their lives in their profession. :rolleyes:

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What an absurd rebuttal. Professional politicians and staffers are a huge part of the problem in this country and are no way analogous to civilian careers.

Now I'll sit back and watch you climb out of this bag.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The problems we have in this country relate to congress being gridlocked. That is a problem that isn't related to longevity, but in stupidity. The number of politicians who have no interest in solving our problems elected during the 2010 midterms and the 1994 midterms was staggering.

Politicians, many of which made that their career, have been responsible for faithfully and successfully running our country for the vast majority of its history. It wasn't until one party decided to run up the debt that we had that as a problem, and it wasn't until that same party decided to put politics ahead of the people that we now have massive gridlock.

Debt wasn't created by career politicians, but by politicians that lied to us and ignored every reputable economic advisor out there. Thank you Mr. Reagan. Terrorism and those kinds of threats weren't the result of career politicians, but refusals to wean ourselves from reliance on foreign oil. The economy is getting better, but it could be much better much faster, but the new crop of teapublicans won't let anything get through congress.

The "career" politicians that you dislike are responsible for much of what you take for granted.

(We should expect our two parties to identify an issue, debate possible solutions, hold hearings, and then vote on a plan. Majority wins. Why is that so hard for Republicans to process?)

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Whatever, Rhino.

Charitably, I'd say it's because fixing these things requires an agreement on the utility of the government. Uncharitably, I'd say it's because making political points keeps people in office (and all its perks) far more than actual legislation.

Doctors and teachers don't end up with the kind of professional sclerosis that exists in Congress. In any other profession, people retire or get put on a board to keep them busy, in politics people stay until they're carried out in a casket. Look at McCain.