Olympic Opening Ceremony Celebrates NHS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jul 28, 2012.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Apparently it's as significant as industrialization in the eyes the English.

As I watched, I was imagining TV sets being turned off in conservative American households.

I was just disappointed that they didn't follow up it with a salute to gun control.

That would have been too sweet.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We don't care about guns ;).

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I had similar thoughts, except they involved mass Republican puking all over America. :p

Frankly, I find the whole Olympic opening ceremonies overblown, same as the Superbowl halftime and the Oscars. It's always like a big game of Can You Top This?

Although I do have to admit the Bean "Chariots of Fire" made me laugh.

4. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I liked that part too.

Other parts were really quite bizarre.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I found the opposite, after Beijing (Beijing was a spectacle very few countries could achieve.) This was a return to the smaller more human touch, opening ceremonies, and done with a sense of humour that only the British can put on.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

That is something my wife picked up on too. She wondered whether the whole thing was a Pythonesque joke. My guess was no, it was not meant to be taken entirely as a joke, however, there were elements that certainly were.

The giant sleeping baby being one of them.

7. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

NHS is something the Brits are proud of, and rightly so. The Canadians also have their Medicare. Come to think of it, all the advanced countries of the world have universal coverage, except us.

The opening ceremony points out (unintentionally) how we're not "exceptional" in the world, as the Right likes to claim. But in this case, we are.

8. Queso macrumors G4

We pretty much all consider the NHS to be one of the cornerstones of our society.

I didn't realise they would also fight off Lord Voldemort for you though. Maybe that's one of those "postcode lottery" things the Daily Mail is always on about.

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

While in the U.S., many of our citizens see guns as the cornerstone.

I envy your county's compassion and foresight.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Thanks. We're far from perfect as countries go, but that bit at least we've definitely got right.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ironic that our forefathers used guns to get away from this society. Im not sure what that means just feels ironic to me.