Olympics Village is a mess

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by satcomer, Jul 26, 2016.

1. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We haven't heard much about the Zikolympics, have we?

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Kind of reminds me of the last winter Olympics that took place in 2014. Some of the same issues we are hearing/reading about were also present in Sochi.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Although, in Sochi there wasn't the toxic waste dump in the water where athletes will be competing.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It seems like stuff like this happens every time. They should just chose a country that can afford it and have the olympics in the same place every four years instead of using it as a way to bankrupt poor countries.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Then how would poor country leaders be able to pocket the money?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

China did a good job of hosting. Better than Greece by a mile.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

As long as everyone has their tetanus shot they got a 80% chance of coming out of it with nothing more than herpes.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Holy smokes.....!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well China could be in the running to be the permanent host.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Don't forget Zika.

12. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yes it is and this crap needs to stop. The purpose of the Olympics is not to prop up 3rd world countries.

We need to pick 5 sites for summer and winter and rotate among them. So for example:

Summer: Bejing, US, Australia, Western Europe, S. Korea
    Winter: Canada, Japan, Russia, France, Norway

Let the games rotate between them so every 20 years a country is the host in the same location. This way all the sites have to do it update everything and not rebuild from scratch.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That takes away from the bidding and bribing.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

they should just move them to SF so i can see them live :D
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    i think i remember reading it was >50% sewage, so your phrase should be "water in the toxic waste dump"

15. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Exactly. If countries were chosen by actual capability to host versus bribes and future construction promises, the events themselves would be much better off.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is getting to the point where no one can really afford it. they need to start using the same facilities over and over.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I can see them do that, after they finally finish their goal; to host an Olympics on every inhabitable continent. The only one left is Africa, IIRC, and Johannesburg or Cape Town would be a good candidate for the summer games. Once that is done, reuse.

BL.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If I was competing in a water sport, I would have to think hard about competing in Rio.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ro-dirty-water-sewage-guanabara-bay/87525622/

I agree with that, or as others have suggested have the games rotated among a few countries.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There is this.

Another city could host a portion of the games. Not entirely sure for the reasons why, but from the history books (read: Wiki), the 1956 summer games were held in Melbourne, while the Equestrian portion of it was held in Stockholm, Sweden, fully recognized with Olympic flame, and opening and closing ceremonies.

With that precedent set, they could move a portion of it to somewhere else in Brazil (Sao Paolo, Recife, etc.), or even out of the country altogether.

BL.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I remember in 1996 Atlanta was hosting the summer games and I was living in Orlando at the time. There were some soccer matches were held in Orlando and several other cities as I recall. I went to a couple of the matches in Orlando.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Olympics are out of control. We award them to cities and nations that can't take care of their people but they can build new venues and housing, much of which will go unused after the games. It's criminal.

22. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, I remember hearing the same about China. This happens all the time, and then the Olympics basically go off fine anyway. Maybe not perfectly, but fine.

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or developed countries assist them in building up WITHOUT taking it out on anyone else in the process. True altruism. Jesus would approve.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'd like to see the winter games come back to Salt Lake City. It's an ideal destination and I think (apart from the bribery scandal) they went very well!