Omarosa Recorded Trump...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 8, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I'll wait to hear them before jumping on any bandwagon. Could just be a bunch of nothing.

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Not that many people have been willing to go on the record about having noticed Trump's mental decline, so that's interesting even in advance of her book. I haven't ever finished reading Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury (yet) so I shouldn't say that no one else has really commented about Trump's grip on things...

Even so, some of Mr. Wolff's accounts seem to have been met by a fair amount of denial or claims of having been misquoted or taken out of context. But Omarosa Manigault-Newman said what she has said so far after leaving the WH. The leaked excerpt of her book's comments about the Holt interview struck me as coming from someone who was on the inside finally saying what plenty of outsiders had to say about that meandering rodeo Trump was riding in when Holt interviewed him.

Trump may have other fish to fry by time O's book Unhinged comes out next week. But yes he might take time out of his busy schedule to tweet something to or about Manigualt-Newman and it might not be all that complimentary. Heh, but his handlers (if he still cops to having any) might be thrilled if he tweets about anything short of anything to do with Mueller's investigation.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

This begs the question, how many others have been recording Trump? Im betting there is more. I bet some recorded him for the wow factor to the wtf factor to the "Im going to write about all this once Im out" factor.

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I'm not sure I'd want to be among any group recording the president without his permission. I would be willing to bet that that might just be illegal, even if you were trying to cover your ass in a corrupt regime. I won't be too surprised if she gets arrested for it at some point.

6. LizKat, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Or maybe just not wanting to get screwed if they were going to try to get Trump to agree to back off of some stupid thing and he (like the malleable thing he is) agreed and then once they were outta there, he did what he wanted to anyway.

It's not like anyone is shocked when Trump lies about something or lays blame falsely elsewhere, but it would probably be a nice feeling to have managed to tape an exchange that exonerates one from involvement when Trump later says "Oh I ran that past everybody and they all said it was like genius."
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2018 ---
    "If the consent of one party is required, you can record a conversation if you’re a party to the conversation. If you’re not a party to the conversation, you can record a conversation or phone call provided one party consents to it after having full knowledge and notice that the conversation will be recorded. Under Federal law, 18 U.S.C. § 2511(2)(d) requires only that one party give consent. In addition to this Federal statute, thirty-eight (38) states and the District of Columbia have adopted a “one-party” consent requirement. Nevada has a one-party consent law, but Nevada’s Supreme Court has interpreted it as an all-party consent law."

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/LAWS-ON-RECORDING-CONVERSATIONS-CHART.pdf

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

A quick search did pop this up

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/district-columbia-recording-law

DC Wiretapping Law
    The District of Columbia's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. DC makes it a crime to record a phone call or conversation unless one party to the conversation consents. See D.C. Code § 23-542. Thus, if you operate in DC, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance. That said, if you intend to record conversations involving people located in more than one state, you should play it safe and get the consent of all parties.

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Well, for her sake, I'd hope that nothing she recorded was classified information. Even with the law in support of recording in her favour, there are probably lots of ways for the government to make her life miserable.

9. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

DC's one-party consent, and so is New York. But Maryland is two-party consent, as are California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Montana, Pennsylvania, and Washington. A number of states additionally require the consent of all parties to disclose to third parties recordings otherwise lawfully made. I hope Omarosa hasn't taken good legal advice.

10. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

You think Simon and Schuster would let her hang herself out to dry? With them in the middle? LOL not likely... This not their first rodeo even if it's hers.

11. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Trump is the modern day Ceasar; everyone around him is pulling knives.

But he should have known never to trust a snake like Omarosa.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Much more like he's the naked emperor we always thought he was.

As for Ms. Manigault-Newman, she's the least of Trump's worries. Less a snake than a harbinger of things to come, I'd say.

13. rafark, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018

rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Is people really surprised about these recordings? I've always thought people in big corporations and government agencies do it all the time. I may be paranoic, but I always expect my conversations being recorded when I'm in a meeting. I plan to record my conversations when I feel I'm having a sensitive conversation as well.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Sets a bad precedent secretly recording any president in the White House.

Smart phones are usually not permitted in classified / secret areas. I can see them banning them in the future from use in the White House.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Trump only hires the best people, right? Manafort, Gates, Flynn, Ross, Page, Price, Pruitt, Omarosa, etc., etc.

It would be funny how bad this adminstration is at basic tasks like hiring competent people, were it not for the unfortunate fact all of our futures are dependent on their performance.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmmm.....I'm not sure that being the reality TV president elevates Trump to the status of a naked emperor

it's just eye-rollingingly tacky too :D

17. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

The logical conclusion would be that this means the government has way too much impact in our lives, and should be dramatically reduced and diminish the power and scope of the federal government, so it wouldn't even matter who's in the White House because they don't have the power to affect your life.

Sadly, I feel like left-wing people's more predictable response would be to ignore all of this, and just try to make sure "their person" is in there. Then this is all somehow okay.,

18. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't believe this is new news. And it's hardly surprising, is it? Anyone remotely paying attention knows he's an 'ist on many levels.

20. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Yeah, not 'new", but a further confirmation. Probably still an ongoing thing with him, though.

21. widgeteer Suspended

Me too. Best case scenario: she leaks really damaging stuff on her former boss, then gets into legal trouble for doing it.

Kills two looney birds with one tape stone.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2018 ---
    The most depressing part of this to me is even if it were released, I would bet money it wouldn't put a dent into his support among his base and the two chambers. If anything, his base would root him on "He talks just like we do!"

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Turns out her story is starting to fall apart.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/omarosas-claim-that-trump-used-n-word-falling-apart/

Omarosa says that she was told by a third party that pollster Frank Luntz heard Trump use the N-word. Luntz immediately debunked that claim.

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1027989937470066688?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1027989937470066688&ref_url=https://pjmedia.com/trending/omarosas-claim-that-trump-used-n-word-falling-apart/

"I’m in @Omarosa’s book on page 149. She claims to have heard from someone who heard from me that I heard Trump use the N-word. Not only is this flat-out false (I’ve never heard such a thing), but Omarosa didn’t even make an effort to call or email me to verify. Very shoddy work."

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

We should not expect any less thorough dissection of her memoir than the Wolff book got, right?

24. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Countering with a rhetorical question?:p

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Stating my opinion about memoirs by anyone about a sitting president. It's not that I might not want to read them. I might read them with a fairly critical eye, regardless if they are hagiographic or accusatory.